Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:53:29 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1036150 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HSC Physics Question Thread
« Reply #3390 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »
+2
can anyone explain why in 2009 Q21 (a) the answer is X?? how do we know which way to current is going in order to see that the force on X is up? thanks :)
https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2009exams/pdf_doc/2009-hsc-physics.pdf

Hey! As above, the battery is labelled just below the coil (though in a really non obvious spot tbh). Even without the labels, when a battery is represented with the two lines like that, the longer line is always the positive terminal. Conventional current flows from positive to negative, so out of the page on Side X :)

From there, right hand slap rule. Current (thumb) out of the page, magnetic field to the right, force is therefore upwards :)

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3391 on: April 25, 2018, 12:32:32 pm »
can someone help with 2010 q24 please :(
The answer says that Earth & Sun exert a gravitational field which creates a centripetal force (?) that keeps JWsT in orbit but how does this answer the question :/

HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3392 on: April 25, 2018, 03:17:31 pm »
+2
can someone help with 2010 q24 please :(
The answer says that Earth & Sun exert a gravitational field which creates a centripetal force (?) that keeps JWsT in orbit but how does this answer the question :/

Hey! Are you referencing the NESA sample answer? I think it answers the question:

Both the Sun and the Earth exert a force on the JWST which is towards the Sun. Therefore the
centripetal force on the JWST is greater than that produced by the Sun alone. This means that
the orbital speed of the JWST around the Sun is greater than it would be if the Sun alone were
producing the centripetal force on the JWST and therefore the period is less than would be
predicted from Kepler’s law of periods, given that its orbital radius is greater than that of the
Earth.

To expand on the sample answer - We understand that the combined gravitational attraction of the sun and the earth produces a larger centripetal force than what the earth experiences from the sun alone. According to:

An increase in force will correspond to an increase in velocity. As F goes up, v goes up. This allows it to contradict Kepler's Law of Periods. Even though its orbital radius is slightly greater than that of earth, it can still orbit with the same orbital period as the earth, since it is moving faster than it would normally be moving at that orbital radius ;D

itssona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3393 on: April 26, 2018, 12:43:13 am »
+1
Hey! Are you referencing the NESA sample answer? I think it answers the question:

Both the Sun and the Earth exert a force on the JWST which is towards the Sun. Therefore the
centripetal force on the JWST is greater than that produced by the Sun alone. This means that
the orbital speed of the JWST around the Sun is greater than it would be if the Sun alone were
producing the centripetal force on the JWST and therefore the period is less than would be
predicted from Kepler’s law of periods, given that its orbital radius is greater than that of the
Earth.

To expand on the sample answer - We understand that the combined gravitational attraction of the sun and the earth produces a larger centripetal force than what the earth experiences from the sun alone. According to:

An increase in force will correspond to an increase in velocity. As F goes up, v goes up. This allows it to contradict Kepler's Law of Periods. Even though its orbital radius is slightly greater than that of earth, it can still orbit with the same orbital period as the earth, since it is moving faster than it would normally be moving at that orbital radius ;D
shh makes sense!! thank you jamon :)

itssona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3394 on: April 29, 2018, 01:07:18 pm »
kinda confused - what does the rotor do in an induction motor? I know it isn't connected to the power source and instead it creates current but what is its role? thanks :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3395 on: April 29, 2018, 01:20:19 pm »
+2
kinda confused - what does the rotor do in an induction motor? I know it isn't connected to the power source and instead it creates current but what is its role? thanks :)

It is designed as a place for the induced currents to flow in response to the changing magnetic field generated by the stator! The rotor then spins due to the motor effect to do some sort of mechanical work. It's the exact same as any other motor, except the source of current is electromagnetic induction, rather than a direct electrical supply ;D

philgee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3396 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
Hello, I am unsure how to plan out my answer for this question.

"Superconductors are the future of communication technology. Either we begin to use them every day, or we fade into technological stasis."

Assess this statement with reference to at least 2 specific applications of superconductors and the Advantages and Disadvantages of their use. (7M)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3397 on: May 12, 2018, 12:03:05 am »
Hello, I am unsure how to plan out my answer for this question.

"Superconductors are the future of communication technology. Either we begin to use them every day, or we fade into technological stasis."

Assess this statement with reference to at least 2 specific applications of superconductors and the Advantages and Disadvantages of their use. (7M)

Hey philgee! I like this question. So I'd start by filling in the specific things it requests:

- Application #1
- Application #2
- Advantages
- Disadvantages

The only other real thing it wants is an assessment/judgement, and that would probably go at the end. So in general the response looks like:

Superconductors are _____. They are currently used in EXPLAIN APPLICATION ONE. They are also used in EXPLAIN APPLICATION TWO. Generally, superconductors are advantageous because ________. Their limits include _______. Overall, superconductors are MAKE YOUR JUDGEMENT.

From there it is honing, and perhaps doing things like tables/dot points, decide how best to present it ;D is that helpful? Is all the content you need for this question sitting okay for you? :)

philgee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3398 on: May 12, 2018, 03:10:20 pm »
+1
HI Jamon,

Thank you sooooo much!!! I clearly see what the set up should be, and the mark allocation. I appreciate it.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3399 on: May 22, 2018, 07:53:02 pm »
Hey guys,
I was going through the applications of superconductors and was reading on its use in superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) and how it's able to detect tiny magnetic fields with an insulator in between two superconducting materials. But how are they able to detect magnetic fields through the insulator?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3400 on: May 22, 2018, 09:53:37 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
I was going through the applications of superconductors and was reading on its use in superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) and how it's able to detect tiny magnetic fields with an insulator in between two superconducting materials. But how are they able to detect magnetic fields through the insulator?

Hey!

Syllabus Answer: Not assessable, so don't worry!!

Actual Answer, very much rough because this is way out of my league: What those superconductors and the insulator form is called a Josephson Junction. These junctions can have a current flowing through them without any voltage applied, due to the quantum tunnelling of cooper pairs from one superconductor to the other. A magnetic field applied to this junction (in a specific arrangement, I think there is multiple in a SQUID?) will change the current flowing through it, and this allows super precise measurement of the field. Last sentence super waffly, I know, but that's my rough understanding of it. Try Googling the Josephson effect if you want to learn more!

But yeah, waaaaay beyond the syllabus, so don't stress ;D

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3401 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:23 pm »
When doing the transformer prac: why is there no voltage produced when the power supply is replaced by a regular battery?

Is it simply because it lacks a fluctuating field that comes from AC power?
Thank you
ARTEXPRESS 2019

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3402 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:42 pm »
+1
Is it simply because it lacks a fluctuating field that comes from AC power?
Thank you

Hey! Exactly, AA/AAA (or whatever) batteries are sources of DC power. No changing field, no induction, so no transformer ;D

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3403 on: May 26, 2018, 04:46:55 pm »
So for my assessment we are doing a transformer prac. I don't specifically know what we will be doing but we will be asked on possible sources of error and suggestions for improvement for the prac. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

Jane20

• Adventurer
« Reply #3404 on: May 26, 2018, 10:42:33 pm »
Hi guys can anyone pls explain the relative simultaneity for me :(

I am so confused.
For example suppose in a very long train that is moving at relativistic speed and fireworks are launched at both ends of the train at the same time. Which observer will see that the launching simultaneous ? The one inside the train and stands in the middle or the observer from outside ?

Thanks alot guys !!