Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 12:23:11 am

Author Topic: Reading more books! (2018)  (Read 3408 times)

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
Reading more books! (2018)
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:49:37 am »
+11
Hi guys!

I love reading, but from March to around October, I usually have my longest reading slump and don't touch a book for months. I read a majority of my books around November and throughout the Christmas and New Year break, then my fingers don't touch words for a very long time. It's been like this for around two or three years (whoops!) but this year, I hope to motivate myself to read more. I'm hoping to hold myself accountable by creating this board and it's super cool that other people can also follow me on my book journey :)

My reading goal this year is 65 books (30 up from last year) and so far, I've read 13 books. Then my reading slump started, hah.
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Reading more books! (2018)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:09:39 pm »
+3
What a rad idea! What kind of books are you interested in?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:27 pm »
+5
What a rad idea! What kind of books are you interested in?

Thank you!! I usually read alot of contemporary young adult fiction novels, but I've recently been trying to get into science fiction, dystopian, or books with underlying messages about politics and the world around us :) Any recommendations (if you have any!) are totally welcome haha
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:26:08 pm »
+6
Thank you!! I usually read alot of contemporary young adult fiction novels, but I've recently been trying to get into science fiction, dystopian, or books with underlying messages about politics and the world around us :) Any recommendations (if you have any!) are totally welcome haha
1984 - George orwell
A handsmail tale
A clockwork orange - Anthony Burgess
FAHRENHEIT 451 - RAY BRADBURY
CHILDREN OF MEN - P.D. JAMES

These are power powerful dystopian novels , whether it be about censorship, or leaders with too much power... some of these don't  make for easy reading tho :P

(especially  A clockwork orange, 1984 and Children of men :P)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:29:58 pm by EEEEEEP »

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:44 pm »
1984 - George orwell
A handsmail tale
A clockwork orange - Anthony Burgess
FAHRENHEIT 451 - RAY BRADBURY
CHILDREN OF MEN - P.D. JAMES

These are power powerful dystopian novels , whether it be about censorship, or leaders with too much power... some of these don't  make for easy reading tho :P

(especially  A clockwork orange, 1984 and Children of men :P)

I've read 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale and not gonna lie, those books shook me to the core HAHA They've still stuck with me to this day, and yes, I believe that's what makes them so powerful!
I'll definitely give the others a try too :) I'm really keen on checking out Fahrenheit 451. Thank you so much! <3

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:42:47 pm »
How are you getting back on the reading band wagon?
I've been trying to read this novel for the longest time and I just can't allocate distraction free time! Every time I'm reading I'm thinking of a million other things. Have you had this problem after the read-free time or are you straight back into it?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:26 pm »
+2
I've been trying to read this novel for the longest time and I just can't allocate distraction free time! Every time I'm reading I'm thinking of a million other things. Have you had this problem after the read-free time or are you straight back into it?
Was struggling with this for almost the entirety of January. I’d recommend picking up something easy and short. Rereads are always good too as you’re already familiar with the story. :)

I’ve just finished reading Heather, The Totality by Matthew Weiner and I’m reading How to Be Both by Ali Smith at the moment. Slowly I’m easing myself out of this reading slump.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:44:41 pm »
+2
Great goal!

Have you read much Orwell aside from Nineteen Eighty-Four?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:47:21 pm »

Since creating this thread, I still have not touched a single book! Usually the guilt of not reaching my reading goal starts to creep in and then I pick up a book, but sometimes I just force myself to sit down and read. Eventually I get sucked into what the book is about and whoo, reading slump is temporarily gone  :) I can definitely relate to thinking of a million other things! I often start to question the Earth's existence, if anyone's uploaded something new onto Instagram, and whether or not I should crack open that new tub of ice cream  :( :'(

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 05:47:33 pm »
+1
The Partials/Fragments/Ruins series by Dan Wells is a mix of dystopian and science fiction :D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 05:50:23 pm »
Was struggling with this for almost the entirety of January. I’d recommend picking up something easy and short. Rereads are always good too as you’re already familiar with the story. :)

I’ve just finished reading Heather, The Totality by Matthew Weiner and I’m reading How to Be Both by Ali Smith at the moment. Slowly I’m easing myself out of this reading slump.

Yeah right now, I'm definitely considering rereading a book I loved just to get back into it, or read one of the novels you guys have recommended :)
Getting out of a reading slump is SO HARD )))))):

Great goal!

Have you read much Orwell aside from Nineteen Eighty-Four?

Thank you! Just hoping I can reach it this year :)
Other than Nineteen Eighty-Four, I've also read Animal Farm which I loved! It made my 15 year old self cry ALOT

The Partials/Fragments/Ruins series by Dan Wells is a mix of dystopian and science fiction :D

Ooh, thank you so much!! I'll definitely check it out :D I'm trying to get into dystopian and science fiction right now

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 05:53:34 pm »
+1
Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm - nice!

If you like Orwell, I really highly recommend Keep the Aspidistra Flying. It's my favourite book ever! ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 06:07:14 pm »
+1
Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm - nice!

If you like Orwell, I really highly recommend Keep the Aspidistra Flying. It's my favourite book ever! ;D

I'll check that book out! The two novels of Orwell's that I've read haven't disappointed me at all, and hopefully this one won't too :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:37 pm »
+2

Useful advice indeed! I might flick through some short story collections to work on my attention span again!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 11:29:21 am »
+4
This article is about writing novels, not reading them but I thought it was really interesting to look at the stages of writing a book. It parallels so closely with my relationship with reading: huge times of excitement, a draw away, a refreshing break, setting myself goals, not achieving them...

A cute visualisation!