Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:48:27 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 72449 times)  Share 

mariah_1101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2019, 02:18:24 pm »
Hi ATAR Notes,

I wanted to practise answering some short answer questions for Ancient History and got a little confused as to how many sources to include depending on the amount of marks the question is worth... Do you have to include any sources for a 3 mark or 4 mark question? And for 6 markers and 8 markers, how many sources do you need?

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2019, 03:18:34 pm »
+6
Hi ATAR Notes,

I wanted to practise answering some short answer questions for Ancient History and got a little confused as to how many sources to include depending on the amount of marks the question is worth... Do you have to include any sources for a 3 mark or 4 mark question? And for 6 markers and 8 markers, how many sources do you need?

Hi there!

This is an excellent question and it was something I struggled with a lot during my HSC! I think this kind of thing is intuitive and totally depends on the question. For example, a Core question could ask you to specifically use two/three/four sources or it could also ask you to use one and your own knowledge, which obviously require different amounts of sources.

Generally speaking, a 3 marker requires you to make three points and a 4 marker requires four, etc. Each time you make a new point you need a source to back it up. That being said, you can also use the same source to make several points. In addition, you could also use a source to corroborate another which obviously leads to more sources being used but not necessarily more points being proven.

Honestly, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there is no exact formula for Ancient History as the questions can vary greatly. Just make sure that for each new point you use at least one source and you should be fine! Try doing a few more short answer questions and get a feel of where you could possibly put them in.

Feel free to send me a practice response and I can review it for you and suggest where I'd put in the sources. :)

Darcy
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2019, 04:56:48 pm »
Hey my Dudes!
I am recently learning about Akhenaten ( my teach accidentally gave us 100 q's on sparta as a mistake lol) a change of plans my teach has made.
I stumbled upon this and wanted to know what it was.. .... 'vows of royalty' according to an overview of the eighteenth century egypt?

pls reply by quoting me on this if you know:)
thanks,
Komal:)
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2019, 05:00:06 pm »
yall I also dont know what this is in terms of 'personalities in their times; Akhenaten':
who were the 'royal brothers'?
This is the whole sentence from the antiquity 2 textbook: 'The pharaoh corresponded with his neighbouring rulers and vassals, and even married foreign princesses to cement the deals brokered between the 'royal brothers' '.
-KgkG-

tamsyc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2019, 05:12:36 pm »
Hi ATARnotes,

I'm just looking over some of my notes for Pompeii and I remebered that my lecturer for the most revcent ancient history ATARnotes lecture (Susie Dodds) mentioned something on "The Ringed Lady" and how theres a lot of controversy around it. I've tried googling it and I can only find resources praising it as amazing proof of ancient jewellry... Anyone have a good resource?

Thanks,
Tamsyn

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2019, 09:50:39 pm »
+4
Hi ATARnotes,

I'm just looking over some of my notes for Pompeii and I remebered that my lecturer for the most revcent ancient history ATARnotes lecture (Susie Dodds) mentioned something on "The Ringed Lady" and how theres a lot of controversy around it. I've tried googling it and I can only find resources praising it as amazing proof of ancient jewellry... Anyone have a good resource?

Thanks,
Tamsyn
Hey,
Because Sara Bisel worked for the National Geographic she is believed to have made narrative like stories about some of the skeletons of Herculaneum to flesh out her scientific techniques. There is a debate around the accuracy of the ring lady and if the rings were placed there to add to the 'narrative' and dramatisation of the two towns.

Don't have a specific resource at the moment, but this quote from Estelle Lazar says: ‘Interpretation of the human skeletal remains from Pompeii & Herculaneum has been dominated by a storytelling approach'.

Hope this helps! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jess_gyan

• Fresh Poster
  • Status; Burning to smithereens from HSC
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2019, 11:12:26 am »
Hi! Ok background info; I missed out a term and a bit in the prelims in A.H and missed the important skills in the beginning. it's starting to show because now I'm really struggling to hit a mid-B to low-A which is where I want to be; my critique in my essays seem to revolve around "Avoid story-telling", stronger and finer incorporation of authors and their sources (analysis) and linking back to my answer in the response. If anyone could give me examples of what does a response with no narrative tone/structure (what even indicates it has a NARRATIVE TONE???) and an properly incorporated author with source, analysis and links back to response, that would literally be a godsend :)
Thanks

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2019, 11:50:57 am »
G'day my fellow comrades,

I've been doing some fortnightly essay tasks for the Fall of the Roman Republic and my teacher has been telling me that I need to be more direct in answering the question and that it is to be sustained throughout the entirety of my essay. Also, he also tells me that I need to think more critically when it comes to answering the question. Does anyone have any tips at to what I can do in regards to these areas for improvement- I know exactly what I need to improve on, I'm just struggling a little on how to put it into practice consistently!

Cheers

julz_roha

• Adventurer
  • Σ ! ⊂((・▽・))⊃
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2019, 06:13:32 pm »
Hello ATAR Notes,
For Sparta, do you know where I can find modern writers? I have a lot of information for ancient writers but not for modern writers.
- Juliana

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2019, 07:31:56 pm »
+1
Hello ATAR Notes,
For Sparta, do you know where I can find modern writers? I have a lot of information for ancient writers but not for modern writers.
- Juliana
Hello Juliana,
I completed Sparta last term- interesting place indeed! For my modern authors I used Nigel Kennel, Paul Cartledge, and also Bradbury and Ken Webb (but never, ever quote Bradley nor Webb, they're textbook writers not actual historians- such fakes)
Hope this helps :)
- Jack

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:07 pm »
+1
Hello ATAR Notes,
- Juliana
Hey Juliana :)
I actually did VCE but I would assume the two can't be too different. When you say modern writers, do you mean modern historians who have researched / written books about Spartan history? If so, try The Spartans by Paul Cartledge or Ancient Greece (which would cover Sparta) by Pamela Bradley and Thomas Martin (two different books, same name - would recommend Martin over Bradley as hers is a textbook). Bettany Hughes also has a really good documentary on Sparta which I would recommend checking out. Donald Kagan is good if you want to read about Sparta and its relationship with Athens during the Peloponnesian War.
Hope that's relevant to what you're studying :)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

julz_roha

• Adventurer
  • Σ ! ⊂((・▽・))⊃
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2019, 10:05:33 pm »
Hello Juliana,
I completed Sparta last term- interesting place indeed! For my modern authors I used Nigel Kennel, Paul Cartledge, and also Bradbury and Ken Webb (but never, ever quote Bradley nor Webb, they're textbook writers not actual historians- such fakes)
Hope this helps :)
- Jack
Hello Jack.
Thank you \(^o^)/ Do you have the documents for the sources or no? My school and local library are pretty scarce on books for history.
If you do, will it be ok if I could have them?
- Juliana

Hey Juliana :)
I actually did VCE but I would assume the two can't be too different. When you say modern writers, do you mean modern historians who have researched / written books about Spartan history? If so, try The Spartans by Paul Cartledge or Ancient Greece (which would cover Sparta) by Pamela Bradley and Thomas Martin (two different books, same name - would recommend Martin over Bradley as hers is a textbook). Bettany Hughes also has a really good documentary on Sparta which I would recommend checking out. Donald Kagan is good if you want to read about Sparta and its relationship with Athens during the Peloponnesian War.
Hope that's relevant to what you're studying :)
Hello!!!
Yes, modern historian. I need to compare their views against the ancient ones. I just to find modern sources about Spartan life.
Thank you \(^o^)/
- Juliana

Mod Edit: Merged double post. Please use the 'Modify' button :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:14:02 pm by owidjaja »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:16 pm »
+2
Hello ATAR Notes,
- Juliana
Hey,
I should also have some quotes from modern historians about Sparta in my detail tables here
Hope they help! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

julz_roha

• Adventurer
  • Σ ! ⊂((・▽・))⊃
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2019, 07:05:27 am »
Hey,
I should also have some quotes from modern historians about Sparta in my detail tables here
Hope they help! :)

Hello!!!
Thank you  \(^o^)/
 - Juliana

alyssastrebel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2019, 10:00:24 pm »
Hi Atar notes.

When you have a question for example:
"Assess the contribution of at least TWO Greek Leaders to the Greek Victory in the Persian wars."

Would you only talk about two leaders or talk about another in order to acheive a higher band response. Also, if I was to do so, how would I structure it out?
Thanks  :)