Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:05:56 am

Author Topic: A whole new world - fb3's uni journal  (Read 28840 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: A whole new world - fb3's uni journal
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2018, 09:58:22 pm »
+6
I could've spent the whole day doing work for my next assessment due Friday (1500 word paper) but did I do work? Nope, I only wrote 100 words. Send help. I need to stop procrastinating but my brain is literally wired to procrastinate and I really don't know how I'm going to manage my time as Assessment Nightmare 2 approaches.
I know that procrastination feels rn too- I have tried multiple times today to write a lab report due tomorrow night, and I've probably have only written about 50 words for it. Oops.
Hopefully you get it done on time, so do you don't stress too much! <3 ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2018, 10:46:44 pm »
+6
I know that procrastination feels rn too- I have tried multiple times today to write a lab report due tomorrow night, and I've probably have only written about 50 words for it. Oops.
Hopefully you get it done on time, so do you don't stress too much! <3 ^-^

You too!! I hope you can smash your lab report out super quick :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2018, 04:07:25 pm »
+12
26/09/18

Hi friends!!!!

I have super exciting news to share so let's get right into it!
1. I got my first HD of the semester, and it wasn't one that I just scraped a HD! I'm not one to announce marks so this is momentous for me but I got a 95 on one of my essays!!! No amount of exclamation marks can emphasise how excited and happy I was about that mark. I'm still in disbelief.
2. After several applications for a job at Apple, I finally got an interview which was yesterday! I'm not allowed to talk much about it because we had to sign an NDA (the first one I've ever signed!) but I'm keeping expectations low because Apple is very selective with who they pick for jobs.

Now for a 'regular' update:
- Mid sem break is this week and I've done... nothing. I have two assignments due on Friday and I've almost finished one, but I haven't started the other which is a 2000 word essay. There hasn't been much any guidance on what to write so everyone's really confused and the lecturer hasn't replied on the Moodle forum. Really keeping my expectations low for this essay considering I have no idea what to write and I've got just over a day and a half to do it.
- Thanks to procrastination, I've now planned out my entire degree. If all goes well, I'll finish at the end of Term 2 2022!

And... a huge congrats to Year 12 who are graduating!! I hope you all feel super accomplished even though you still have the HSC to go! There's not long to go now :-)

Hope you all have an awesome week,
fantasticbeasts x
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2018, 04:10:14 pm »
+5
That's amazing!! Congrats for both Fb3!!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2018, 04:12:33 pm »
+2
That's amazing!! Congrats for both Fb3!!  ;D

Thanks Katie!!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2018, 02:30:00 pm »
+12
07/10/18

Hi friends! We're in October now which is super wild because this year has gone so fast! In just over two weeks, I will have completed my first year of uni. I've got a long road ahead in terms of assignments but I. Can. Do. This.

Life updates:
- I got rejected from Apple :-( I had a group interview just under two weeks ago, then I got called for an individual interview the day after. I had that individual interview on Thursday, and I just got an email saying I wouldn't be moving to the next stage of the recruitment process. It's a really convenient job travel-wise (direct train route + short walk) and when I go on exchange I can transfer stores so I can have a job while in Germany. I'm still upset about it but alas, not everything can go my way. Definitely applying again!
- My interview for Seed Heritage is tomorrow after uni. Now that I'm rejected from Apple I don't have to decide between the two jobs if I had an offer for both, so that's a positive I guess. I'm really hoping I get this job because like Apple, it's part-time so I'll have regular hours unlike my current job. Fingers crossed!!!!!
- I have two assessments on Wednesday: PR and German. I'm not feeling too confident after the last German test which was a disaster lol. As for PR, I feel like I should be okay - it's a group discussion with the tutor about a client pitch.
- Week 13 is approaching fast and I'm realising how little time I have to finish everything. In that week, I have: a group presentation (Monday); German speaking test (Wednesday); German portfolio, 2500 word essay, 3000 word research paper and a client pitch (Friday). Send help. I'm starting part 1 of the research paper now so I have less to do later but oh my goodness I just want this semester to be over.

fantasticbeasts x

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »
+7
12/10/18

Hi friends! I didn't expect to update this quickly but I have news so let's get cracking wooooot
- I got added to subtle asian traits on Facebook which is quite literally the best thing ever. Bless those memes honestly I am LIVING
- I had my German test and PR presentation on Wednesday. We were given too much time for the German test -- in fact, so much that I reckon they could've swapped the time limit with the other test and it would've worked out nicely. For the extended response, it asked for 80-100 words and I wrote 200 because #extra there was so much time but now idk if I'll get marked down for exceeding the word limit by a lot lol. As for the PR presentation, it was pretty simple group thing (client pitch with my tutor) so for once in my life I'm setting my expectations a little high and hoping for a distinction.
- Didn't want to jinx it by announcing it early but I'M EMPLOYED. The Seed interview went well and now I have another job so yay! I start the week after uni finishes (October 29) and I'm really pumped :-) For now, I'm keeping my other job because I don't know if they'll give me shifts soon but we'll see.
- ALSO if everything goes to plan, I'll be leaving for Europe in September 2020! At the moment my first preference is the University of Hamburg :-)

Although I have a ton of work to do, I'm feeling more relaxed as the end of semester approaches. The upcoming summer break has been a long time coming and I'm suuuuuper excited. New job, Christmas and a holiday at the end of the year WOOOOOOT

Enrolment for 2019 courses is on Monday and I'm planning on overloading each term (3 courses each term) so let's hope I don't drown in stress next year lol

Until next time!

Happy Friday, hope you all had an awesome week,
fantasticbeasts x

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:48 pm »
+1
- I got added to subtle asian traits on Facebook which is quite literally the best thing ever. Bless those memes honestly I am LIVING

8) 8) 8) that is the good stuff
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:51 pm »
+8
22/10/18

Hallo meine Freunde, es ist schon eine Weile her! (it's been a while!)

Updates:
- The first of six assessments over the next week and a half is  done! The presentation went well (I think) but then our tutor roasted us SO BAD and in hindsight, the feedback given across all groups in the class wasn't consistent. Like who the heck needs to make an argument for a presentation?? It's not an essay that's being presented?? All groups followed the criteria?? Needless to say I'M VERY CONFUSED. At least it was only worth 10%.
- Got my marks back for the German test and PR client pitch I did just under two weeks ago -- just scraped a HD for both wooooot. I have no idea how the next assessments are going to go so hopefully my WAM doesn't go too bad. At least I've got another year to work on it :-)
- Did a Buzzfeed quiz on Legal multiple choice (link here) and I got 19/20 lol uGH separation of powers continues to haunt me a year on

I don't think there will be another update until results day or the first day of term next year, so bis später!

fantasticbeasts x

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2018, 06:36:30 pm »
+7
05/12/18

Hallo meine Freunde!! It's crazy to think that we're already 1/6ish of the way through December, and then we'll be finished 2018, wow!

I don't think I've changed a lot over the past year, but my attitudes towards lots of things have changed. I used to be very marks-obsessed but now I'm more for going with the flow and trying my best and accepting what I get. I'm not as much of a pessimist now, and I don't mind social interaction as much anymore.

Since my last update, three main things have happened:
(1) Assessment nightmare week -- this feels like so long ago, but I'm really glad I got through it!! There's always a huge sense of relief when finishing the semester :-)
(2) Starting a new job -- I started my new job on October 30 and it's been pretty good! I really like working at the airport because (1) 10% off everywhere with my airport card and (2) $3 coffee at this one coffee chain because of my airport card, even with soy! Additionally, the store I work at has a really good discount and the people seem nice. There's also a first-year experience live chat internship thing that I'm doing with the uni which is really exciting! The training day has free lunch sooooo I mean it can't be too bad :-)
(3) Grades release -- these came out today!! I'm quite happy with how I went and my WAM went up by 1.125 yay!

I hope you all have an amazing break and best of luck for results for those who haven't received theirs yet -- I hope they're what you need and more <3

Bis später,
fantasticbeasts x

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2019, 09:50:53 pm »
+12
22/02/19

Hallo meine Freunde!! Es ist schon eine Weile her!

The first week of uni has come and gone, and it's been a rollercoaster. At first I was really excited to go back and learn, but Tuesday came and I started getting stressed. Also, UNSW marketed trimesters as this great thing with 10 week terms and "better study-life balance" (not an exact quote but they did say something like that) but it definitely doesn't feel like that. A few comments:
1. They say 10 week terms, but it still feels like a semester. (1) you have to do readings before the first week, and (2) there's still a week 11.
2. Better study-life balance is so full of crap because contact hours have been increased and all content has been shoved into "10 weeks" so where is the life?? Ich bin sehr konfus
3. Apparently this has been done with research and consultation with students and stuff. What a load of crap again because (1) I haven't heard of anyone being happy about this change and (2) staff, particularly teaching staff have to rework the courses they teach into a shorter period of time.
4. I could finish uni at the END OF OCTOBER (nature of my degree is that I don't have many, if any exams) but noooooo it's the end of November now.
5. Not trimester related but how the HECK does a supplier run out of books for a subject lol

I think I'm done ranting about trimesters for now but that's just a heads up for anyone looking into studying at UNSW because trimesters are a bitch. Onto how my semester trimester is shaping up:
1. I'm in Monday to Thursday which is annoying because if timetabling was good I could've shoved everything into 2 days but alas I have 4 days.
2. Subjects: INST2003 - Research Methods in Intl Studies, MDIA2005 - Advertising and ARTS2510 - Intermediate German A.

My assessments aren't too bad because they're all pretty spaced out, which is something I wasn't expecting. However, for INST2003 we have to submit a research topic for all three assessments at the END OF NEXT WEEK which is a lot sooner than it used to be. Basically things that weren't supposed to come up so quickly are coming up sooner. What is good is that I don't have any exams this term because I get a whole month's break!

Now for this week -- surprisingly, my procrastination hasn't been that bad. Sometimes I leave readings really late so I don't complete them until after tutorials (really dumb lol) and complete homework-esque tasks the night before but I didn't do that this week! I'm hoping to maintain this work ethic throughout the term because it is good and now that I have a steady job with actual shifts I'll need to manage my time well. Today I've just been doing readings and rewriting my resume to prepare for internships :-) I've also sorted out all the subjects I'll be doing for the rest of my degree so it looks like I'll be finishing in Term 2 2022 instead of Term 3!!!!!! woot

Wow this was super long lol and I promise my other entries won't be the same except for the first one of every term??

I hope you've all had an awesome week.

Love,
fantasticbeasts x
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:53:55 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:14 pm »
+8
15/03/19

Hallo meine Freunde!!

I am getting so bad at updating this journal. 4 weeks into uni and I feel like I haven't gotten into the hang of things yet, so the other day I bought a weekly study planner so I can organise tasks that need to be completed and what I'm doing each day. I hope it works - my procrastination continues to get the best of me.

Summary of how subjects have been going, in order of best to worst:
1. German: still my favourite subject. It's starting to get harder, which is to be expected but my confidence speaking in class is non-existent. Sure, I can write out a few sentences and say stuff here and there but the feeling of people watching makes me very uneasy. How I'm going to survive living in Germany next year is really beyond me. Oh and I have a listening test this week soooooo I hope it goes well!!
2. Research Methods: this is such a boring subject I can't tell you guys how much I want to get it over and done with. It has so much potential to be a good course but it's that boring it makes me not want to do anything postgrad. I had a presentation for this subject on Wednesday and I don't think it went very well, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll get more motivated to do well in this course because the assessments don't sound too awful.
3. Advertising: I have a massive rant for this subject when the myExperience surveys come out so I'll save it until then but I just don't like this course. It does give us the chance to be creative (we sketch out ads based on a brief every week!!) which I like but the theory part is just blehhhhhh and could be done a lot better. The first assessment was a pass/fail assignment and I passed so yay for that!

That's all for now!

Until the next time I update,
fantasticbeasts x

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:37 pm »
+5
1. Best of luck for the listening test! I'm sure you'll do great! ^-^
2. I understand how research methods can be so boring, I remember sitting through my own research methods unit (which was smooshed together with other random concepts that needed to be taught be couldn't be placed elsewhere) thinking that it was boring, but it is a really important thing to keep in the back of your mind, obviously! Hopefully it'll become less dry for you! :)

All the best for the next week!!! ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:14 am »
+8
29/03/19

Oh. Meine. Güte.

I keep forgetting this journal is a thing.

1. Best of luck for the listening test! I'm sure you'll do great! ^-^
2. I understand how research methods can be so boring, I remember sitting through my own research methods unit (which was smooshed together with other random concepts that needed to be taught be couldn't be placed elsewhere) thinking that it was boring, but it is a really important thing to keep in the back of your mind, obviously! Hopefully it'll become less dry for you! :)

All the best for the next week!!! ;D

The listening test was awful. I didn't finish, some of the instructions and marking guidelines were very unclear but it's over now so I can't do anything about it. There are other tests so I'm not too worried :-)

Research Methods still makes me want to roll down Basser Steps because it's such a bad subject. I understand why it's compulsory but it just makes me so annoyed lol. Things will get better from this term because most of the subjects I'm doing for the remainder of my degree are a heck ton better so yay!!!

ALSO class enrolment appointments are out and I think mine is on April 16 at 2pm. Kinda on the fence about this time because that's just over a week from when people actually start enrolling in classes and I'm worried I won't get my awesome hypothetical timetable:
my timetable

I think that's all from me this time!!! Let's hope I get out of this next week alive with two assignments worth 40% and 45% of my grade due next week which I haven't started because I had something due today!!!!

Until next time,
fantasticbeasts x

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2019, 09:34:12 pm »
+8
08/04/19

Hallo meine Freunde!!

It feels weird to say this, but here we go: I feel relaxed and well-rested. Will I say this again in the next 3 or so weeks until term ends? Probably not. But does it feel good? Heck yes it does.

Here's a summary of what's been happening:
- Submitted my two assignments last week and it felt amazing. The effort I put in is questionable, but they're done and I wrote 4000 words in a week which is insane to think about. I feel like I've stopped caring about my marks this term although I really should because exchange applications are at the end of this year so my WAM should be at a good standing but idk motivation really isn't there atm.
- Got my listening test results back for German and I just... bye. The average mark was 54% and that was after adjustment. I just scraped a pass thank goodness but I need to average at least 80% in all my assessments to get a distinction. Ideally that would be nice but I'm determined to maintain my distinction average in German so I really have to pick up my game.
- I participated in a research study today!! This was very exciting because although I really hate Research Methods (the subject), it was really cool to be part of a research project and see some of it in action. I got a $50 voucher for my participation which was super wild but I'll be saving that money for the shopping I'll do before exchange next year. :-)

The rest of my term is really chill but I have to start planning when I'm going to do assignments otherwise I can't have my Easter weekend free. In light of my awful German results I'm going to catch up on the work I didn't do because I decided to chill all weekend!

Hope you guys all have an awesome week,
fantasticbeasts x

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:35:44 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »