Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:26:09 am

Author Topic: Chances of getting in with a -15 lower atar at RMIT?  (Read 2160 times)  Share 

thatrandomkid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mordy
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Chances of getting in with a -15 lower atar at RMIT?
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:41:43 pm »
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but I recieved a terrible atar (64.85). Was expecting mid 70's but there's not much I can really do about it now.

My first preference is bachelor of business/ marketing (applied) at RMIT, which requires an 80. What are the odds of me getting in, given that I've got a seas bonus from a disadvantaged financial background + disadvantaged school?. I've also done legal + business management and scored 35 for both of them if that matters.

Met all the prerequisites for the course as well.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Chances of getting in with a -15 lower atar at RMIT?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:19:55 pm »
Depends on the number of applicants into the course. It's important to recognise that clearly in ATARs (as published on uni websites) are only indicative and change each year (not by much, but some do). Given you've got SEAS from underrepresented school + your personal circumstances, I would say it could be possible still to get in.

However - make sure you keep this in your first preference if this is what you definitely want to do! Don't worry about the ATAR requirement - you could still get in. I would also think of a few alternatives / have a backup plan B too... just incase!

If you get a lower offer (e.g. 2nd preference or lower), you are able to rearrange your preferences between each round (each round operates the same - you order your preferences and each round your application is considered). If you don't get the course you want - accept the offer you get in the first round anyway, you will be able to withdraw from it if you happen to get that RMIT course in 2nd round. Good luck
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

thatrandomkid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mordy
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:12:20 pm »
Thankyou for the reply! Had no idea you could change preferences after every round, makes me feel so much better :) Do you think RMIT will take into account subject bonuses (business management)?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:36 pm »
Thankyou for the reply! Had no idea you could change preferences after every round, makes me feel so much better :) Do you think RMIT will take into account subject bonuses (business management)?

They usually state it on their website if they take into account any subjects as part of the middle band calculation. I would check the course page on the uni website to check. If there is no mention, then probably not. Best of luck :)

Edit: According to VTAC, it states the following:

City: 3200332951

SEAS : Applicants who have experienced educational disadvantage are encouraged to submit a SEAS application.

Subject Bonus : A study score of 25 in Accounting, Business Management, Economics, Geography, any Information Technology, Legal Studies, any Mathematics or Psychology equals 1 aggregate point per study. A study score of 35 in any English equals 2 aggregate points per study. Overall maximum of 5 points.

Therefore depending on your score, the answer would be yes :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:48:37 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile