Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:20 am

Author Topic: Human Rights Contemporary Issue  (Read 2635 times)  Share 

falances

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Sydney Girls
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Human Rights Contemporary Issue
« on: August 01, 2016, 05:05:37 pm »
My teacher highly suggested that we prepare 2 contemporary issues just in case one doesn't work out - one domestic and one international. I've already done my international one - I did it on genocide, focussing on the Sri Lankan 2009 Genocide since it overlaps with World Order. But for my other contemporary issue, I was thinking of doing the overrepresentation of ABTSI in our criminal justice system, since that overlaps with Crime as well. My teacher recommended it to me, but I'm not quite sure how to start and what kind of human rights issues I can discuss with this topic. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks heaps!  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Human Rights Contemporary Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:57:38 pm »
My teacher highly suggested that we prepare 2 contemporary issues just in case one doesn't work out - one domestic and one international. I've already done my international one - I did it on genocide, focussing on the Sri Lankan 2009 Genocide since it overlaps with World Order. But for my other contemporary issue, I was thinking of doing the overrepresentation of ABTSI in our criminal justice system, since that overlaps with Crime as well. My teacher recommended it to me, but I'm not quite sure how to start and what kind of human rights issues I can discuss with this topic. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks heaps!  :)

This is an interesting suggestion from your teacher, and I definitely see the merit! Although I personally just studied one issue that overlapped domestically and internationally. It's difficult to have a human rights issue that is exclusively domestic anyway, which is why I think that your idea of Genocide is going to be more applicable than ATSI overrepresentation in the CJS. Good idea to overlap the Sri Lankan Genocide with World Order, that's a good one! Good thinking. Ok, so the first thing that comes to mind is the Four Corner's episode on Don Dale. Have you watched it? It aired a week ago today, and definitely outlines a lot of issues. Gillian Triggs, the President of the Human Rights Commission, has commented on it, and various other figures have pulled human rights into it as well. I think you'll find that a lot of details about ATSI representation in the CJS will stem from social and political issues rather than human rights issues. The NT Juvenile Detention Centre atrocities is the clearest example, in my opinion, of human rights abuses against ATSI people in the CJS.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!