Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:21:48 am

Author Topic: gamsat and graduate medicine...pls help a lost yr 12  (Read 1172 times)  Share 

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
gamsat and graduate medicine...pls help a lost yr 12
« on: September 09, 2020, 11:19:00 pm »
+3
I don't think I have a chance at getting into undergrad med, I didn't realise I really wanted to do it until this year so idk how my atar is gonna end up and my ucat was really really bad...
For some reason my parents are really against graduate med- if anyone has experience with it could you please give some insight? Do you wish you'd gotten into undergrad, like you wasted a few years etc or was it a positive experience? (I know this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things lol).

I don't wanna give up w/out giving it a shot but how hard is the GAMSAT and how difficult is it to balance your undergrad degree while studying for it? If you could quantify it how many hrs of studying a day in uni?
If I can't pass the GAMSAT in the penultimate or final year of my undergrad degree what then, do I keep trying it until I pass or...?

I'm planning on a bachelor of science, although I've always been better at humanities subjects. Would I be better off doing a humanities degree like bachelor of arts or psychology or philosophy or something because I'm sure I'd find it easier to maintain a high GPA- although I'm concerned I'll end up w/out a job if the medicine thing doesn't work out in the end...

edit: sorry this was posted in the wrong section! I'm not sure why but I can't remove the post...sorry!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:04:18 pm by rirerire »

rirerire

• Forum Regular
Re: gamsat and graduate medicine...pls help a lost yr 12
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 06:02:12 pm »
bump

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 06:52:23 pm »
+6
bump
As for the GAMSAT, a lot of people handle it whilst doing an undergrad degree. You can use your holidays to study if you wish to. Also, usually, the March GAMSAT is in about week 3 or 4 of the semester so you can also study whilst the workload is quite light at the start of the year. I think the September GAMSAT is later in the second semester so maybe more difficult. Although, this year the dates have changed and things might not be back to normal due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you don't "pass" it by the end of your degree you can just continuously take the exam. There are definitely those who work for a few years after their undergrad whilst doing the GAMSAT a few times.

Maybe you can also think of the reasons that you want to study medicine, are there any other courses that fulfil similar needs/desires? You might be able to do this with your undergrad.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:58:20 pm by Sine »

rirerire

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:18:21 pm »
As for the GAMSAT, a lot of people handle it whilst doing an undergrad degree. You can use your holidays to study if you wish to. Also, usually, the March GAMSAT is in about week 3 or 4 of the semester so you can also study whilst the workload is quite light at the start of the year. I think the September GAMSAT is later in the second semester so maybe more difficult. Although, this year the dates have changed and things might not be back to normal due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you don't "pass" it by the end of your degree you can just continuously take the exam. There are definitely those who work for a few years after their undergrad whilst doing the GAMSAT a few times.

Maybe you can also think of the reasons that you want to study medicine, are there any other courses that fulfil similar needs/desires? You might be able to do this with your undergrad.
ohhh ok thank you so much this quelled my worries ahaha
after I graduate undergrad, let's say I worked for a few yrs then applied again- would they still be looking at my past GPA etc or would it not matter at that point?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 07:31:13 pm »
+5
ohhh ok thank you so much this quelled my worries ahaha
after I graduate undergrad, let's say I worked for a few yrs then applied again- would they still be looking at my past GPA etc or would it not matter at that point?
They would still be looking at your GPA so it is important to do relatively well. I think you can use that GPA for something like 10 years.

rirerire

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:43:58 pm »
They would still be looking at your GPA so it is important to do relatively well. I think you can use that GPA for something like 10 years.
thank you for your help!!!!!!