Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:40:56 pm

Author Topic: Mikaela's State Rank Q+A: March 26th (7pm - 9pm)  (Read 3803 times)  Share 

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Mikaela's State Rank Q+A: March 26th (7pm - 9pm)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 08:17:50 pm »
+4
Hey Mikaela,

So I am finding it quite difficult to memorize the content so do you have any tips/ strategies that you used to remember the content?
Anddd any possibilities to get your notes please?

Thanks,
Rohit

Hey Rohit,
SOR has soo much knowledge and it can get overwhelming at times. I found making flash cards with the important information really helped.  Closer to the actual HSC, I stopped going through knowledge and started using my time to make essay plans and short-answer responses. Actually sitting down and writing those plans and/or responses was a great way to memorise information as well as giving me exam preparation. Another idea is to link the SOR content to contemporary and modern examples. As for quotes, try to use SHORT references (you get the same amount of marks for using a short quote and a long quote, so might as well use short, simple ones :))

My notes are not for sale however all my TuteSmart students get access to weekly content powerpoints, summary sheets, online marking and much more!
If you are interested please click the link in my bio!
ATAR: 99.80
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

2017: Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Dentistry @ USYD

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 08:20:06 pm »
+1
Hello Mikaela! Just wondering, when it comes to Studies of religion, how many practice essays should I be doing and how often? Like one a week? Also what are some tips for integrating a stimulus into an essay effectively, that's something I can find quite difficult.

Thank you!

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 08:29:41 pm »
+4
Hello Mikaela! Just wondering, when it comes to Studies of religion, how many practice essays should I be doing and how often? Like one a week? Also what are some tips for integrating a stimulus into an essay effectively, that's something I can find quite difficult.

Thank you!

Hey,
Practicing essays under exam conditions is very important however I completely understand if you have time restraints (I mean spending 40-50 minutes writing an essay is a long time!!). If that's the case, then I would recommend writing essay plans. Closer to exams, I found setting myself a different topic/religion each day and spending 15-20 minutes figuring out how I would structure a response really useful. (I.e. Monday - significant person (Christianity), Tuesday - significant practice (Christianity)  etc..). After writing an essay plan/response I can't stress how important it is though to go back through your response and also look at the NESA marking guidelines/ sample response. From there, anything I didn't included in my response I would write down in a separate book so next time I would remember!!

For integrating a stimulus, I recommend firstly really try understand what the stimulus is telling you. So many SOR students just use the stimulus/quote blindly without taking the time to understand it. In reading time, I would spend 2-3 minutes just looking at the stimulus and internally brainstorming various ways of incorporating it into my response. Also, be aware to use the stimulus THROUGHOUT your response. In doing so, you are telling the marker that you understand the question and that you haven't just regurgitated a pre-prepared essay (SOR markers hate this!). So yes, use the stimulus in your introduction and conclusion but ALSO throughout your essay. This can involve just using key terms from the quote - there is no nee to continually restate the entire quote - pick the most important parts and scatter those throughout your response!

Hope that helps
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

therese07

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »
+1
Hey Mikaela!

My name's also Mikaela (i actually found someone with the same spelling as my name  ;) )

I was wondering, in an essay marked out of 20, how can you reach getting a 19-20/20? Whenever I did essays, whether it'd be for practice or an actual exam, I always seem to get 17-18/20. I never knew what to improve to get higher marks, because my teacher would just say "add more depth", as an overall comment. In saying this, what does a student incorporate in their response, that makes them get the 19-20/20? Do they go beyond the syllabus? what is your advice attaining those high marks.

Thank you!!
2020: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law @ Macquarie University

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 08:53:51 pm »
+3
Hey Mikaela!

My name's also Mikaela (i actually found someone with the same spelling as my name  ;) )

I was wondering, in an essay marked out of 20, how can you reach getting a 19-20/20? Whenever I did essays, whether it'd be for practice or an actual exam, I always seem to get 17-18/20. I never knew what to improve to get higher marks, because my teacher would just say "add more depth", as an overall comment. In saying this, what does a student incorporate in their response, that makes them get the 19-20/20? Do they go beyond the syllabus? what is your advice attaining those high marks.

Thank you!!

Hey fellow Mikaela - what a great name and spelling to have :)
So to attain those high marks in SOR it is really important that you answer the question correctly. An examiner will immediately know if you have simply rewritten a memorised essay, however by effectively incorporating the stimulus and question into your response, you are automatically setting yourself apart from the rest of the cohort! Another important thing to remember is to keep your essay structured - each paragraph should have a clear and distinct point that you maintain throughout - lumping too much content or too many ideas into one paragraph can often make your essay appear a bit unrefined.

Another idea is to move beyond the syllabus. The syllabus is there to give you a guideline but in no means is it supposed to constrict you. You should be always be thinking and linking the syllabus to the modern world and how it impacts adherent's today! Using current and contemporary examples is just one way of doing this.

And lastly, don't underestimate the power of quotes and references. Try to use as many relevant ones as you can and inocprorate them into your response, rather than simply 'dumping' them.

Hope this was useful and gave you a few ideas :)

Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:27 pm »
+4
Hey Everyone!

The 'Studies of Religion Q&A' is going to be closing soon.

I wanted to say a massive thank you for everyone who asked a question, I really enjoyed everyone's answers and I hope I gave you some new and informative tips :) 

If you have any further questions, please don't to ask and I'll do my very best to get back to you as soon as possible. Good luck for the rest of year 12 - remember have that whilst study is important it's even more important to have fun and enjoy your final year of school.

Mikaela
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)