Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:10:39 am

Author Topic: Emily's State Rank Q+A: March 18th (7pm-9pm)  (Read 8543 times)  Share 

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: Emily's State Rank Q+A: March 18th (7pm-9pm)
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:01 pm »
+5
Hey Sister Emily!

Loving the new profile picture ;) Not sure if this has been asked already but what’s your favourite thing about your degree so far?

Hey Sister Bea!

I definitely love the new profile picture! I wonder who took it??????

My favourite thing about my degree so far is definitely extending and advancing my knowledge from the subjects that I learnt in school. As Business and Legal Studies were 2 of my favourite subject a Commerce/Law degree seemed very fitting. I do also love the social vibes in class.

Hope to see ya around soon ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

benneale

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 08:26:22 pm »
+1
Hi its ben ur favourite student
First of all, this took me way to long to try and work out how to use. I have a few questions...
1. did you get my email I sent to you and Jake on Saturday?
2. whats business studies?
3. are your study notes for sale?
4. What is the hardest part of the operations topic to understand and learn...?
thanks !

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 08:28:47 pm »
+4
Hi again,
How did you manage your time in the Business Studies HSC exam? How did you spend the reading time? People say to do the multiple choice first, but others say to start planning the essay and business report. What did you do?

Hey Grace!

I think it is very critical to effectively manage your time in the exam. This becomes easier if you know your syllabus inside out so I honestly can't even stress enough how important it is. In the reading time I immediately flipped to the essay questions and chose the question I was going to do. I then had a quick skim of the business report and short answers and then, had a look at the multiple choice and started doing them in my head if time permits.

Yes, multiple choice is important but so is the business report and essay. Literally as soon as the person running the exam says 'start' I planned my business report and essay for just 5 minutes before I started the multiple choice. The benefit of this is, is that when you actually get to those sections you don't spend like 10 minutes thinking about what you want to write about but rather you can jump straight into writing.

In terms of how I managed my time in the exam, it sort of went like this:
* 1 hour for multiple choice and short answer
* 1 hour for business report
* 1 hour for business essay.

Obviously, this was flexible and would change depending on the difficulty of the exam.

Hope this helps! :)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 08:30:33 pm »
+1
Hi Emily,

Just wondering how did you manage your time in year 12? Or just in general, what are your tips for time management - feeling pretty stressed about school because exams are next week ahhh
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 08:33:09 pm »
+4
Hi its ben ur favourite student
First of all, this took me way to long to try and work out how to use. I have a few questions...
1. did you get my email I sent to you and Jake on Saturday?
2. whats business studies?
3. are your study notes for sale?
4. What is the hardest part of the operations topic to understand and learn...?
thanks !

Hey Ben!

I think your comment of 'my favourite student' is very debatable.

1. Yes, both Jake and I got your email. We will discuss that on Saturday.

2. Business Studies is the best HSC course you can take.

3. No, my study notes are not for sale. However, all my TuteSmart students get exclusive access to these and all the amazing and aesthetically pleasing resources I create each week. If you are interested please click the link in my bio!

4. Definitely the hardest part of operations to learn is the calculations. This would include the Critical Path Analysis as well as the LIFO and FIFO calculations. If you know how to calculate these, you are already ahead of the game.

Hope you have a great night!

kateryann

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 08:38:22 pm »
+1
What are some key Finance questions that are typically seen in exams?? Thanks heaps

benneale

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:38 pm »
+1
Oh gowd am I in trouble for sending u and Jake that email??

Thanks for answering the operations thing. Ive learnt marketing, HR and finance just not operations.
My exam is in 3 weeks for HR and Finance. Any tips?

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:21 pm »
+7
Hi Emily,

Just wondering how did you manage your time in year 12? Or just in general, what are your tips for time management - feeling pretty stressed about school because exams are next week ahhh

Hey there!!

In Year 12 time management was very important for me since I did have a part-time job so I always needed to factor that in. As that would reduce the available hours I had to study, I had to be very effective and efficient with the time I did have to study. The way I would sort of go about it was:
* Do the homework I needed for the next day
* Do I have any assessments or exams coming up within the next 2 weeks? If yes, start revising the content and actually applying the content though doing soooo many practice papers.
* Do the extra stuff that I think would help me in preparation for the long-term and the HSC. This would include doing practice essays, student learn to's, etc

Also don't feel stressed out. I definitely stressed way too much in Year 12 so just take a deep breathe and breathe because you got this!

Wishing you all the best! ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:35 pm »
+4
What are some key Finance questions that are typically seen in exams?? Thanks heaps

Hey Kate!!

Typical finance questions, in terms of the essay, would be looking at how financial strategies can improve financial performance. This would be looking at your liquidity, profitability, efficiency, etc strategies that would help the business improve their financial objectives.

In terms of short answers and multiple choice questions, calculating the different ratio appears in almost every exam as well as just straight out questions on describing/explaining the different financial influences.

Hope this helps :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:36 pm »
+4
Oh gowd am I in trouble for sending u and Jake that email??

Thanks for answering the operations thing. Ive learnt marketing, HR and finance just not operations.
My exam is in 3 weeks for HR and Finance. Any tips?

No Ben, you are not in trouble. Just calm down.....

If your exam is in 3 weeks your notes should be done by this week. After that it's all about learning the content for the next week and then in the last week you want to be smashing out as many practice papers and questions you can get your hands on. This will allow you to get your head around the type and style of questions that they could ask you.

Hope this helps!

Dannybechara

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 08:47:28 pm »
+1
Hey Emily! I'm a school captain and I do Business Studies. I am often out of class and fall behind on content. What is the best way to catch up on the content from such a content heavy subject?

Thank you in advance, Danny!

ninetyatarpls

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 08:48:44 pm »
+1
Hey, thanks for doing this Q and A. I was wondering how essential is knowing your case studies. My teacher suggested that a case study should be the main focus of business studies and integrated into almost every short answer response. Secondly, what seperates a band 6 student from a band 5 student. Than k you

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 08:54:02 pm »
+6
Hey Emily! I'm a school captain and I do Business Studies. I am often out of class and fall behind on content. What is the best way to catch up on the content from such a content heavy subject?

Thank you in advance, Danny!

Hey Danny!

Congrats on getting school captain, that's a massive achievement! As you've stated the only downside is that you are out of class a lot and fall behind on content. What I suggest would be really fostering this sense of class collaboration. This way other students in your class will share with you the notes they have taken or resources that you have missed out on. In saying that, writing your own notes is very good as well. But, in saying that due to time constraints maybe just do really simple summaries with the key info you need to remember. This should help you get back on track!

Wishing you all the best for the rest of Year 12 :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 08:57:59 pm »
+3
Hey, thanks for doing this Q and A. I was wondering how essential is knowing your case studies. My teacher suggested that a case study should be the main focus of business studies and integrated into almost every short answer response. Secondly, what seperates a band 6 student from a band 5 student. Than k you

Hey!

Case studies for Business Studies is sooo important!! The main place you will be using case studies is in your essay where you use them as evidence to back up the strategies you are discussing as well how effective that strategy has been. However, recent trends have shown that case studies in the short answers are becoming more prevalent meaning, they will ask you to provide a 'relevant example'. So knowing as many case studies as you can is very beneficial.

The difference between a B5 and B6 student is going to be the EXTENSIVE knowledge and application of content they have. Also using statistics and establishing a judgement in both your business report and essay will push you into a B6.

Hope this helps!

Dannybechara

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 09:02:42 pm »
+1
Hey Danny!

Congrats on getting school captain, that's a massive achievement! As you've stated the only downside is that you are out of class a lot and fall behind on content. What I suggest would be really fostering this sense of class collaboration. This way other students in your class will share with you the notes they have taken or resources that you have missed out on. In saying that, writing your own notes is very good as well. But, in saying that due to time constraints maybe just do really simple summaries with the key info you need to remember. This should help you get back on track!

Wishing you all the best for the rest of Year 12 :)

Thank you so much for the advice, much appreciated :)