Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:44:33 am

Author Topic: Indigenous Pathway  (Read 851 times)  Share 

eaterpro

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Indigenous Pathway
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:01:18 pm »
Hey peeps,
I recently found out that I've got indigenous heritage. Hence, many of my friends have urged me to consider Indigenous entry (for med). I am in a bit of a dilemma however, as I'm not sure if I should apply for this considering that I've just found out and have never really been apart of the 'indigenous community'. What I'm trying to say is that Im not sure if I want to use these 'priorities'. Appreciate any advice. Thanks
2018:  Ext 1 (97), Ext 2 (93)
2019: Physics, Chemistry, Business, English Advanced

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Indigenous Pathway
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:08:07 pm »
+6
Hey peeps,
I recently found out that I've got indigenous heritage. Hence, many of my friends have urged me to consider Indigenous entry (for med). I am in a bit of a dilemma however, as I'm not sure if I should apply for this considering that I've just found out and have never really been apart of the 'indigenous community'. What I'm trying to say is that Im not sure if I want to use these 'priorities'. Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Aboiriginal entry programmes are for people who identify as ATSI, not necessarily for people who have Aboriginal heritage. Typically the standard used by universities to define aboriginality is that you self-identify as Aboriginal and that you are accepted as a member of an Aboriginal community.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Indigenous Pathway
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:16:10 pm »
+5
Hey, thanks for your response.
My grandparent is infact aboriginal but I was never informed (really long story) so people at my school have urged me to apply and identify myself as 'Aboriginal'. I'm just not sure If I should take the advice given to me by my friends and teachers or not.

As I said above, identity is only one half of the equation. You also have to be an accepted member of an Aboriginal community. I imagine any community would have a fairly dim view of the sincerity of someone who is trying to join them on the advice of friends who think that it'd be beneficial to your chances of studying medicine.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd