Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:50:38 am

Author Topic: Biology Textbooks and details  (Read 694 times)  Share 

Adam_๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿงพ

• Trailblazer
  • Adam(⌐■_■)
  • Respect: 0
Biology Textbooks and details
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:36:33 am »
+1
Probably a silly question but I feel like my textbook has heaps of 'useless' information, I mean it's so long. Surely it isn't all examinable, because looking at the study design, it seems quite a bit more summarised. In order to write direct and reliable notes so I can easily revise and reference when it comes to studying for the exam, I recently purchased the atar notes summary book, I'm using that in combination with notes uploaded by others. I am going about this the right way? Anything helps, Thanks.
2019 - Environmental Science: 34
2020 - English: 38
2020 - Methods: 40
2020 - Data Analytics: 40
2020 - Polish: 38
2020 - Biology: 39
ATAR: 93.30

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: Biology Textbooks and details
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:51:54 am »
+6
A lot of info in textbooks is supplementary information that may not be necessary. You will get a much better idea of what you should know once you go back to school and your teacher begins teaching the content, as they will teach only what is necessary. From this, you should be able to deduce what info in textbooks is unnecessary. Often times, it can be difficult to go from purely the study design as it can be unclear to what extent you need to know each dot point. Summary notes can be useful if you prefer to go off a shorter, more succinct version of your textbook rather than sorting through all the unnecessary information it contains. Textbook explanations go into detail, however, and can be useful to solidify your knowledge on difficult topics, so I advise against completely abandoning it. You are doing fine, and you'll be much more confident about what you should/shouldn't know once school starts. Good luck!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 01:32:12 pm »
+4
From what you've said, you're being quite sensible about the way you're doing things. I made some notes from the textbook, class things, my ATARNotes book and Edrolo, and then made concise summaries on topics by going through the study designs from the notes I had already made. I followed the study design to a tee and found that quite a useful way of doing things in terms of my overall summaries. Reflecting, I think that I probably took more notes than I needed, but it definitely helped me learn the concepts.

I think that the AN book and free notes are great, but when making your own you should check that you have covered every dot point on the study design.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »
+4
Probably a silly question but I feel like my textbook has heaps of 'useless' information, I mean it's so long. Surely it isn't all examinable, because looking at the study design, it seems quite a bit more summarised. In order to write direct and reliable notes so I can easily revise and reference when it comes to studying for the exam, I recently purchased the atar notes summary book, I'm using that in combination with notes uploaded by others. I am going about this the right way? Anything helps, Thanks.
That is quite a good method imo. Also as whys said once you go to school you will have a better understanding of what is important.

There is a tonne of fluff within biology textbooks and you certainly don't need to know a lot of what is included.