VCE Stuff > Victorian Technical Score Discussion

Rankings - the secret behind them all

(1/6) > >>

pi:
Over the last couple of years I've seen threads on ranking appear almost weekly, with users frantically questioning:
- "what if I'm not rank 1?",
- "how do rankings work?",
- "OMG lost one SAC mark and am now rank 2, any chance for a 50?",
- "my school has no summer uniform, how will this effect my ranking?"
- "so when my dad graduated he was rank 3 in his applied maths class and my mum was rank 2 but he got a higher score, so is this still relevant today?",
- "what happens if Richmond wins the Grand Final and this causes VCAA to lower my ranking by 1?",
...and the list of questions goes on and on and (and you guessed it!) on.

So here's what to do about rankings, here's the secret:

DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM. DO YOUR BEST FOR YOURSELF AND WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN SACS AND EXAMS.

Run your own race and don't play a numbers game. Don't worry about where you "might" stand in a cohort of "whatever" strength and how this is all calculated. I say this for a few reasons.
- The more you worry about things that you can't really change (eg. how rankings work?) the more you'll be stressed and the lower you'll perform (in general).
- The more you think about them, the more depressed you could get.
- If you focus on trying your best, you'll actually do better.
- If you focus on rankings you'll likely to become a competitive person that no-one likes.
- I and other mods have to read your thread which has already been answered about 50 times.

Having said that, I'm not advocating y'all living in a fairy land by yourself not caring about what everyone else is doing. You've got to care to make sure you're not doing something wrong or falling behind, but you don't have to worry and compare. It's that line that is the distinction that is important.

There you go, that's the secret. Now do your best and make yourself proud! :)

edit:
A quote I'd like to share courtesy of user dim_sim:

--- Quote ---The competitor to be feared is one who never bothers about you at all, but goes on making his own business better all the time.
~Henry Ford
--- End quote ---

aaackk:

--- Quote from: pi on May 24, 2013, 06:57:58 pm ---
DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM. DO YOUR BEST FOR YOURSELF AND WORRY ABOUT SACS AND EXAMS.

--- End quote ---

you missed a vital "don't" there

edit: ok woops my bad i completely misinterpreted that sentence lol.

YMCA:

--- Quote from: aaackk on May 24, 2013, 06:59:21 pm ---you missed a vital "don't" there

--- End quote ---

Do you even grammar?

Lasercookie:

--- Quote from: aaackk on May 24, 2013, 06:59:21 pm ---you missed a vital "don't" there

--- End quote ---
But you have to worry about upcoming sacs and exams. Rankings and that kind of stuff are the things you want to de-emphasise.

pi:

--- End quote ---

Hmm? :O

You SHOULD care about SACs and exams imo so you can get into whatever course you're going for... How can you try your best if you don't care? :O

edit: exception: VCE physics. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version