Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:50:44 am

Author Topic: Handling test anxiety  (Read 1004 times)

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
Handling test anxiety
« on: February 27, 2019, 02:00:26 pm »
Hey kiddos,

Hope everyone is doing ok especially that assessment season is upon us.
How do you guys handle test anxiety or when you blank out during a test when you know the material well?

Also does anyone get pissed off when someone tells them off for getting something wrong on a test? (my friends are super opiniated by it)
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: Handling test anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 02:53:34 pm »
+3
Hey kiddos,

Hope everyone is doing ok especially that assessment season is upon us.
How do you guys handle test anxiety or when you blank out during a test when you know the material well?

Also does anyone get pissed off when someone tells them off for getting something wrong on a test? (my friends are super opiniated by it)

Focus on relaxing especially if you know all or most of the content!
You're only in year ten so use critical feedback to your advantage.
 Instead of getting pissed realise how you can use your mistakes to your advantage to make sure you understand where and why you went wrong.
Becoming angry at your mistakes is a sign of perfectionism and although it can be a good thing it doesn't allow you to grow and develop so work on learning to build from those mistakes.
I've found exercising is a good way to stop feeling the buildup of anxiety for an upcoming test!!
Things like exercise, listening/writing music, meditation and yoga are all good ways to relax and clear your mind.
I take a water bottle into my tests too so when i do blank instead of staring hopelessly at the question not being able to think i step back take a few deep breaths have some water...this is what worked/works for me but might not be the same for you!!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: Handling test anxiety
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:38:11 pm »
+1
Study enough to make sure you understand the content and how to work out the questions, and then you can talk to yourself in your head and tell the nervous freaking out part that everything is fine, you have got this, you know the stuff.

I was always really nervous for tests and stuff a couple of years ago and I told myself, it's okay, this isn't year 12 so it doesn't matter. However, I worried about what I would do once I actually got to year twelve. But now that I am in year twelve, I don't really get that nervous anymore. I think it might be because of all the SACS and things that are happening all the time from all your subjects in year eleven which is a good practice year, so I think I have become desensitized to them.

Good Luck! :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)