Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:51 pm

Author Topic: Is my VCE subjects ok?  (Read 933 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Is my VCE subjects ok?
« on: October 21, 2019, 06:06:58 pm »
+1
Hello guys,
So I have picked and almost finalised my vce subjects and I will be doing history revolutions unit 3/4, bus man 1/2, bio 1/2, chem 1/2, English 1/2 and math methods 1/2. So I am scared  :(
WHAT IF I DON'T DO WELL IN REVOLUTIONS? I JUST CHECKED SCALING AND IF YOU GET AVERAGE/LOW MARKS the scaling smacks you around a lot. Will an atar of 90+ be possible with those subjects?
Will my subjects be manageable in terms of workload and content?

Mod Edit: Changed title from all caps
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:38:15 pm by Bri MT »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Is my VCE subjects ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:47:27 pm »
+3
Hello guys,
So I have picked and almost finalised my vce subjects and I will be doing history revolutions unit 3/4, bus man 1/2, bio 1/2, chem 1/2, English 1/2 and math methods 1/2. So I am scared  :(
WHAT IF I DON'T DO WELL IN REVOLUTIONS? I JUST CHECKED SCALING AND IF YOU GET AVERAGE/LOW MARKS the scaling smacks you around a lot. Will an atar of 90+ be possible with those subjects?

As long as you work hard really the scaling should not affect you. There's always many "if's" associated with everything we do in life, so along with the worse case scenario you should also focus on the best case scenario =). What if you do really well in it and it scales you up to a 90+ atar? There's many things that could happen but as long as you like your subjects and are prepared to work hard for them, really a 90+ can be achieved no problem.

I did English standard for the HSC which has a band 6 rate of less than 1%, therefore making it the worst scaling subject in the whole HSC, yet I still got a 90+ atar. Bad scaling does not necessarily doom your atar.

Good luck! =)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:48:58 pm by DrDusk »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:03:06 pm »
+1
Just aim at doing the best you can do! As long as you've picked subjects you genuinely enjoy, you should find it easy (or at least not insanely soul-crushing) to learn what you need to. Don't stress about scaling or playing the numbers game too much. (And enjoy bio- one of the best subjects out there!) ;D

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:20:49 pm »
I love pretty much all subjects I picked and I picked them for prerequisite reasons too.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:57:32 pm »
I love pretty much all subjects I picked and I picked them for prerequisite reasons too.
I'm really glad to hear that! Hopefully, your passion will motivate you!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 09:17:10 am »
+1
Hello guys,

I did Revolutions as a 3/4 in year 11 back when I did VCE. Having it as your only year 12 subject will mean you can focus on it a lot more (although still not neglecting your other subjects) and in my opinion it means you have the chance to enjoy the content more. I actually found it to be a really interesting subject and it never really felt like I had to do "work" for it because I liked it! Re: scaling - honestly it doesn't scale that much, and once you hit the 40s your score won't scale much. Worry less about the numbers and scaling and more about focusing on the subject during the year, because that's what will get you the marks (and thus scores) that you want.

Aside from this, year 11 is a bit of a warm up year for year 12. Use it as a chance to try out different study techniques to see what works for you! Also use it as a way of learning how to overcome results that might not be ideal. If you don't do as well on a test as you wanted to, learn how to use it as motivation to maybe change your study habits or do something different for the next time.

I'd recommend having a chat to some of your teachers about your concerns for next year as well - I'm sure they'll have some helpful advice! :)