Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:49:02 am

Author Topic: Justice and Revenge  (Read 502 times)  Share 

JamieLeaf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Justice and Revenge
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:55:47 pm »
Hey Guys,
How is justice and revenge displayed in Medea? I'm really stuck on this theme?

TheBamboozler

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Justice and Revenge
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:55 am »
This is a bit concerning considering how close we are to the exams. Justice and revenge both are major themes in the text and I assume you would have learnt it throughout the entire year. Themes are pretty broad concepts so I'll stick to giving a few examples.

Euripides explores the sacredness that lies within oaths that is, Jason took part in an oath when he married Medea thus his betrayal to her is seen as terrible. From the start of the play it is clear that Medea would be just in taking revenge on Jason especially as the chorus sides with Medea towards the beginning of the play.
The main question of the text is whether revenge can be justifiable or considered justice considering the extent to which Medea is driven by passion. Considering the reaction that most of the chorus has to Medea's decision to kill her children, Euripides is probably saying that in killing her children, her revenge becomes no longer justifiable.
Themes are very broad so most of it is up to your interpretation. I could definitely think of more but I have to go to class now. If you need help just ask again.
VCE:

English [40], Math Methods [34], Psychology [39], Legal Studies [41], VCE VET Information Technology [40]

ATAR: [90.60 I'm so happy!]

Probably software engineering at RMIT