Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:49:45 am

Author Topic: How harsh is VCAA's marking?  (Read 2421 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
How harsh is VCAA's marking?
« on: September 26, 2018, 10:02:46 am »
+1
I don't really have any comparison point to know how hard it is to get marks in English.

Like, if you write a complete essay and it's relevant to the prompt and whatever but not brilliant in any way, what sort of mark are they going to give it?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: How harsh is VCAA's marking?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:28:47 pm »
+1
VCAA never looks for something “brilliant”, because a) that’s subjective and b) it’s impossible to quantify. High scoring essays doesn’t mean they uncover something revolutionary or take a perspective that no one or very few people have taken before. They have set criteria, and if the essay answers the question and is fluent then it will be given a very high mark.

If you want to check essays to see if they will get a high mark, always ask “does this answer the question?” and read it back to yourself (aloud is always best) and see if it makes sense.

I believe I saw a thread around here somewhere that had a direct comparison between a “bad” essay and a “good” essay, although I can’t remember where it is, or even if I’m creating a false memory. Chances are though, you can find easy comparisons and analyses on what makes a “good” essay.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
Re: How harsh is VCAA's marking?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »
+1
Hey,
I would suggest that you get your teacher to mark your essays so you can get an indication of where you're at. The essays are marked holistically, but I'm pretty sure there's a marking criteria on the VCAA website to guide their marking. I've read essays that VCAA markers have marked as 5 to 10. From that, I think if you are able to write a complete essay that is relevant to the prompt, you'd be expecting 5-7 or even 8, depending on your level of detail and fluency.
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.