Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:28:32 pm

Author Topic: exam prep = PLEASE HELP  (Read 2016 times)  Share 

carol1234567890

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
exam prep = PLEASE HELP
« on: November 17, 2017, 07:49:31 pm »
Hi all,

Would it be suggested to affirm one style of writing e.g creative, informative, persuasive, before the exam and only work on that ?
Or do the best looking prompt on the day

Thank you

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: exam prep = PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:56:33 pm »
+2
Hi all,

Would it be suggested to affirm one style of writing e.g creative, informative, persuasive, before the exam and only work on that ?
Or do the best looking prompt on the day

Thank you

Hey!

Although I'm not studying Italian this year (but rather German), I'd still recommend that you go in with an open mind. I personally find that informative, evaluative and persuasive pieces are pretty similar in terms of format and general style. Therefore, I've just been revising any previous pieces that have aligned with these categories. The prompt on the day will inform my choice. However, I think it's smart if you can reject one style all together. Eg. From all my practice, I've discovered that creative writing just isn't for me. It will take too long for me to write an awe-inspiring piece within 50 mins or so. At least then on the day you aren't left panicking with option.

Hopefully this helps :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:12:56 pm »
+2
+1 to clarke54321 :)

I did French last year and practiced a few different writing styles during the year. Made sure I knew the conventions for the different styles - which is something I think everyone should do. But I didn't go into the exam decided on a style - I just picked one based on the vibes on the day that I got from reading the prompts, which I'd personally recommend :)

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:50:18 pm »
+3
I also didn't do Italian, did German instead.
I personally think it's a great idea to go in with an open mind (makes you more prepared etc.) like clarke and K8 have suggested, but our teacher strongly recommended us to do the creative, and we did lots practice in creative. There were a few people who weren't confident in the creative and wrote another one, but our teacher recommended creative to us because it allowed us to show off our creativity etc.
I would probably say at least go in an open mind in case you really don't like the topic given in your preferred style.

Ultimately, it is up to you because if you do not feel confident in a particular format then probably try to focus on the other ones.

Good luck :)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams