Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:47:25 am

Author Topic: What's your favourite text you've studied at school?  (Read 3911 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
What's your favourite text you've studied at school?
« on: February 13, 2020, 11:13:01 am »
+3
Hey everyone,

I'm sure most of us have had the experience of reading a text at school we really struggled to get through (for me it was The Dons) but sometime books you read for school can actually be pretty good.

Whether or not you've had a school text really resonate with you:

What's your favourite (or least hated) text you've studied at school?

Why was this one your favourite?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: What's your favourite text you've studied at school?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:23:19 am »
+6
This is a hard one! In terms of most interesting book and easiest to read, I think Tomorrow When the War Began takes the cake (I studied this back in year 8).

However, there were some books that we studied that I didn't hate because they were good to analyse in class and once you understood it, you could write a good essay on them.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:41:43 pm »
+3
This is a hard one! In terms of most interesting book and easiest to read, I think Tomorrow When the War Began takes the cake (I studied this back in year 8 ).

However, there were some books that we studied that I didn't hate because they were good to analyse in class and once you understood it, you could write a good essay on them.

Nice! The year level above us studied Tomorrow When the War Began and the year after studied the Hunger Games but we had neither :(

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 01:12:11 pm »
+3
My favourite unit we ever did in high school was in Year 9 and it was on the horror genre. I was initially really apprehensive about it but my English teacher thought it would be interesting to look at unconventional ways horror has been used. We did the Addams Family as one of our texts but the other was an entire focus on Edgar Allan Poe (who since then has been my favourite poet) and his works, including The Raven and The Tell-Tale Heart. I fell in love with his writing style and became almost obsessed with his writing. His poems form the basis of the entire Dark Artifices trilogy (and the Shadowhunters series is my biggest guilty pleasure) so I just feel like studying his works was meant to be. I also have a scarf now with The Raven printed on it that I wear to uni and AN lectures when it's colder  :)

That being said, I don't think an entire composer should really account for my favourite text  ::) I'll have to say Waiting for Godot was my favourite from my HSC because not only do I love studying plays, but also because we saw a production of it at NIDA right before Trials and it totally blew my mind. It radiates the chaotic energy I love about 20th century literature and although I had lots of issues with Beckett as a composer himself, I really loved studying this text  :) Interested to see what else people enjoyed!
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:08:29 pm »
+4
Bit late to the thread, but here is my input! ;D

I've done a lot of reading for school - not just English class. I was in my school's Readers Cup team in 2015 and 2016 (both years we won regionals, and in 2016 we took home the title of state champions.. which was pretty cool considering we have been the only team from my school to even win regionals!). Anywho, on top of all the books I had to read for english class, over those two years I read 20 books for Readers Cup alone. All this forced reading kind of drained me of my love for reading - none of the books were particularly interesting, and there was such a time crunch so I didn't get time to enjoy them.

But last year, this all changed for the better. I read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' for English (wrote my analytical essay on it) - and it was incredible! It evokes so many emotions and really just draws you in. Furthermore, the fact that it has ties to real world events really puts the world into perspective. I found myself constantly thinking about how lucky I am to have a roof over my head, food in my fridge, a tv, a loving family, freedom to do what I want with my life, the ability to go to school and to not have to worry everyday about wars and terrorists ravaging my street.
I wouldn't mind reading it again :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 07:32:37 pm »
+3
I think I actually enjoyed a lot of my English texts in Yr7-11. For some reason, I didn't really appreciate my HSC texts much - maybe it was just the stress of having to analyse it.

As for my overall favourite, I would say The Giver. It was raw and well-written and hard to put down. It introduced me to the dystopian fiction scene, and that's really the only genre I read anymore.  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 07:33:17 pm »
+6
To Kill a Mockingbird wins easily! I studied it in Year 7 and it's stuck with me since, I 110% want to read it again very soon
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 01:54:39 pm »
+2
This is a hard one! In terms of most interesting book and easiest to read, I think Tomorrow When the War Began takes the cake (I studied this back in year 8).

I loved this one too! I also really enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream as it was quite funny :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 05:42:37 pm »
+2
In Year 7 we studied a book called "Iqbal." It was my favourite because the topics and themes explored in the book were really interesting and it was on a topic that I really wanted to learn more about
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha