Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:55:42 am

Author Topic: People who have had tutoring for englang, do you feel it has helped you?  (Read 1789 times)  Share 

randomnobody69420

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
English has always been my weakest subject, particularly writing. My essays are really mediocre and it takes me a very long time to do them. Because of this I'm considering getting tutoring, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I know it doesn't hurt to get a tutor but my family isn't very rich so I want to make sure that I will make use out of it.

So, should I get a tutor? Are they useful? And if so, do you recommend I start now (I'm in year 11) or wait until next year? Thanks in advance :)

TheAspiringDoc

Re: People who have had tutoring for englang, do you feel it has helped you?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »
+2
I'd say wait till next year. A lot of units 1/2 isn't that important for 3/4. A good thing to do is holiday lectures (ATARNotes/Connect) over the summer holidays before the 3/4. I think as long as you've got a good teacher in 3/4 who will give thorough feedback on your answers, you should be okay without a tutor. The Kate Burridge series of textbooks can be very confusing and IMO aren't that great (except maybe for essays?), so if you want to turn it into more of a science-y subject, try using the more straightforward orange metalanguage book. What would be beneficial this year is for you to get a solid understanding of things in that book that are relevant to both 1/2 and 3/4, so that you are setting strong foundations.

Good luck with it :)

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 05:12:34 pm »
+1
Yeah it did I had a very good Tudor turned me  from  a B average student to an A+ average student.

I recommend starting at 1/2
To get the foundations down pat and build from your knowledge so you're ready early, because that first English sac comes along rather quickly
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 05:37:03 pm »
+1
Yeah it did I had a very good Tudor turned me  from  a B average student to an A+ average student.

I recommend starting at 1/2
To get the foundations down pat and build from your knowledge so you're ready early, because that first English sac comes along rather quickly
Did you do lang or mainstream?
Lang actually has content that is different in each AoS (correct me if I'm wrong about English being the same in grade 6 as in year 12?)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 05:38:13 pm »
+3
English has always been my weakest subject, particularly writing. My essays are really mediocre and it takes me a very long time to do them. Because of this I'm considering getting tutoring, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I know it doesn't hurt to get a tutor but my family isn't very rich so I want to make sure that I will make use out of it.

So, should I get a tutor? Are they useful? And if so, do you recommend I start now (I'm in year 11) or wait until next year? Thanks in advance :)

In your situation and from what you've said in your post, I would wait until next year and reassess then. I honestly don't think 1/2 is that important to doing well in 3/4. If anything, I'd focus as much as realistically possible on nailing the metalanguage you learn - this will help you going into next year.

EngLang is a different beast. If it really clicks with you and it turns out you don't feel you need a tutor, awesome! If you get through the year and feel like you do, not much has been lost, and you can think about it again this time next year. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.