Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:16:41 am

Author Topic: Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 4169 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:11:22 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
Re: Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:05:46 pm »
MC was pretty weird but hopefully I got them!

Otherwise wasn’t too bad a few strange things but overall it was manageable.

HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »
In practice exams I’ve always gotten only 1 or 2 multiple choice wrong, but for the first time I had to legit GUESS at least 7 of the multiple choices. It was so so hard. The genetics questions, idek where to begin. :((.

The only good thing was that the 8 marker was an easy question regarding the identification, treatment and prevention of disease which allowed for increased life expectancy, but I needed another good 5 minutes to flesh out my answer and I can already imagine the 5/8 I got.

Oh well. Onto math I guess
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 01:14:12 pm »
I agree that mc wasn't too hard but had some weird stuff like the malaria lifecycle, which I forgot to guess an answer to, and the glomerulus and all kidney parts and osmoregulators are both homeostatic and enantiostatic right?
Short answers was alright though. I figured they'd make an extended response on health since it hasn't been asked for a few years
The option was relatively easy too. Prompt was vague about visual and auditory in human models vs animal.
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:31:29 pm »
In practice exams I’ve always gotten only 1 or 2 multiple choice wrong, but for the first time I had to legit GUESS at least 7 of the multiple choices. It was so so hard.
I feel the same.

MC was definitely the hardest part of the exam imo, I definitely took a lot longer to complete them than I normally would in practice exams. Definitely think this was the section where I dropped the most marks.

SA: fairly nice, though I didn't like the question on co-dominance for the fur mammalians. It was difficult to interpret whether the question meant that the natural resistance resulted from the co-dominance (which is what I assumed) or not.

Option - Communication: Brilliant! Generally my strongest area as well, so not surprised. Especially liked part d), where we had to draw the diagrams of   correcting myopia. I think I overwrote for part e) though, because I needed another booklet, but I think I addressed the question really well and in-depth, so that's that.

Overall: considering it was the last year of the current syllabus, NESA hasn't managed to do anything drastic for biology, so that's a positive. Just hoping I did enough to achieve the mark I am aiming for, considering my MC game was weak. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:33:05 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Bells_123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 03:21:08 pm »
Yeahhh, overall it was okay. There were definitely some multiple choice questions I got wrong though, and I feel like I probably wrote some unnecessary stuff in the short answer that didn't properly address the question  :P

I did the 'Genetics: The Code Broken?' option and it was alright, but I got a bit confused with the pedigree question and don't know if I answered it right! I was really surprised that there wasn't really any punnet squares or genetic linkage maps we had to draw too.

It's done though, now I gotta study for maths tomorrow!  :'(
Class of 2018

Subjects:
Chemistry | Biology | Economics | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | Extension Maths

"Always remember than you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else." ;)

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:48:08 pm »
What did everyone put for the 1st multiple choice question about why do ectotherms bask in the sun

Simple_Prokaryote

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:02:56 pm »
I don't know what the first MC was. I thinlk i did vitamin D

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 04:13:13 pm »
I think it was to increase metabolism as ectotherms need heat to increase their metabolism.  vitamin d is not in the syllabus so I doubt it is the answer. Anyways I would worry too much since most people found mc had a few hard ones like I doubt most people will remember that bacteria have cell walls .
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:15:59 pm »
What did everyone put for the 1st multiple choice question about why do ectotherms bask in the sun

I'm so sad, idk how tired I was today but I really read "endotherms" in the first question (even though I know it makes no sense for endotherms to bask in the sun)
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:31:37 pm »
I think it was to increase metabolism as ectotherms need heat to increase their metabolism.  vitamin d is not in the syllabus so I doubt it is the answer. Anyways I would worry too much since most people found mc had a few hard ones like I doubt most people will remember that bacteria have cell walls .
didn't it say basking in the sun decreases metabolic activity?

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:32:53 pm »
didn't it say basking in the sun decreases metabolic activity?

That's what I thought, too....

There didn't seem to be any correct answer  :-[

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 10:51:28 am »
never mind. I guess it might be vitamin D after all by process of elimination. oh well.

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 11:12:39 am »
never mind. I guess it might be vitamin D after all by process of elimination. oh well.

Maybe it was a mistake? Like there was a mistake in 2011 bio MC, there were two correct answers for q 8 in the marking criteria.

I guess we will find out eventually when this year's marking criteria is released.  :)

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 05:26:04 pm »
ok guys was it bar, column or line graph I still don't know D:
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point