Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:44 pm

Author Topic: Studying ahead - is it a good idea? Let us know your thoughts!  (Read 2806 times)  Share 

ATAR Notes Official

• Administrator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +207
+9
Hi everybody!

We have just published an online article on the idea of "studying ahead". The first paragraph is below, but you can read the full article here.

Quote from: ATAR Notes
First and foremost, it's important to recognise that there is no single "correct" way of "doing" Year 12. There are so many possible approaches, perspectives, and techniques, and none is inherently better or worse than any other. Each student has a different personality, holds different strengths and weaknesses, and sets different goals - and so, it logically follows, they will have different methods when it comes to study. That's normal. But one question comes up time and time again when it comes to Year 12: should you study ahead?

We would love to hear what you think!

No matter your year level or state, what are your thoughts or opinions on the idea of studying ahead? Do you do it? Have you done it in the past? What have you found works best for you?
PMs on this account are not monitored. Please contact us here.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Studying ahead - is it a good idea? Let us know your thoughts!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 01:45:04 pm »
+10
I never really have felt the need to be ahead tbh. In Year 12 I was happy enough to sort of go along with the class. My strategy was more to learn stuff in class, and then go hard afterward to make sure I understood everything.

I get the appeal of the other approach, though.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 02:14:05 pm »
+4
I find skimming ahead and get the idea of it very helpful. Also originally structuring notes etc. (by the study design) so that I can put them in as I learn them. Then reviewing them later.
Getting too far ahead always makes me eventually turn back and just coast for awhile, probably not good.
But being that bit ahead is useful.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 02:30:56 pm »
+3
Thanks for the article, ATAR Notes! :D

I worked ahead in a couple of subjects during year 11 and found that when I was in class I understood the content more thoroughly than what I did for the other subjects. Currently, I am working ahead in some of my subjects again and I am finding that I am understanding the content in a more thorough way again.

It also gives you the chance to ask more in-depth questions.

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:51 pm »
+8
I personally strongly encourage students to study ahead if they have the means to do so. It definitely isn't the best method for everyone but if you are in the position to do so I think it would help a lot in year 11/12. I think if you have a solid foundation in a subject from early-mid highschool it becomes easier to study independently and get ahead. For me I found this to have a lot of positives. E.g. School would be revision rather than learning content for the first time, allows earlier start of practice exams, allows you to have "rest" days where you can take a break if you feel like it.

There are disadvantages though, such as students becoming complacent so when the teacher is going through content they don't pay attention since they may think they already know everything,

Whatever it is a deep meaningful understanding of the content is always going to be better than superficially skimming the course.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 02:56:01 pm »
+5
Loved the article! It really helped put things into perspective!

At the beginning of this Year, as a year 12, I thought it would be a great idea to learn things ahead, and be ahead of the class, as I thought it was going to be a super hectic year with not much time in between SACs. I was definetely wrong in this, and school has been moving at a slow pace. If I learn things ahead, I found my self being bored in class, and running out of things to do. So this term, I stepped back a bit and followed my class. The only thing I did was briefly go through the content before a class, so I wasn't completely lost. This method worked well for me, as it ensured I listened to my teacher and wasn't missing key bits of information, that could potentially advantage other classmates.

That being said, I am planning to work a fair bit ahead into Unit 4 content, as I've got a jam packed term coming up!

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 05:01:46 pm »
+3
Personally, I have never seen much of a point in going ahead. I think it could be useful in more hums/content subjects for some people, however, I enjoy working with the pace of my school as I am not completing two areas of work at once for one subject. I also find it a little challenging to work ahead and have never seen a need to as I am very happy with my marks.

I have also seen what happens when people go ahead, and they often get complacent and don't listen, which is rude in my opinion. I also feel like those who haven't worked ahead often score higher as they process the teacher's way of teaching the first time if that makes sense?
 :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

brothanathan

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
+5
Thanks for the article, ATAR Notes! :D

I worked ahead in a couple of subjects during year 11 and found that when I was in class I understood the content more thoroughly than what I did for the other subjects. Currently, I am working ahead in some of my subjects again and I am finding that I am understanding the content in a more thorough way again.

It also gives you the chance to ask more in-depth questions.

Coolmate 8)

Tagging Coolmate's study guide for this!

Coolmate's Top 6 Study Techniques for Year 11 and Year 12
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:25:16 pm by brothanathan »

NinpPop

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 09:33:47 pm »
+1
Personally, after such a study I found my self being bored in class. however, this study has advantages. boredom aside, I think learning ahead is very beneficial and useful in the future.