Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:04:15 pm

Author Topic: playing techniques  (Read 3554 times)  Share 

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
playing techniques
« on: September 27, 2019, 12:54:28 pm »
guys is tonguing basically playing legato on a woodwind instrument?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: playing techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 01:22:08 pm »
+2
guys is tonguing basically playing legato on a woodwind instrument?
Hey,
No, I play clarinet and I basically tongue almost every note of my pieces. Tonguing is kinda how woodwind players articulate their notes. The only exception to tonguing is when you play a slurred passage, you only tongue the first note. So, I'll still tongue a staccato/legato/accented note but they'll have a different attack/air control between them.

Hope this helps! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:19:13 pm »
Hey,
No, I play clarinet and I basically tongue almost every note of my pieces. Tonguing is kinda how woodwind players articulate their notes. The only exception to tonguing is when you play a slurred passage, you only tongue the first note. So, I'll still tongue a staccato/legato/accented note but they'll have a different attack/air control between them.

So it’s basically a general method of woodwind articulation?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 03:52:58 pm »
+2
So it’s basically a general method of woodwind articulation?
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it's something that every wind instrument does to articulate their notes. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 08:21:40 pm »
Hey,

hey katie,
was wondering if this meant that less tonguing = to more legato? since tonguing seems to articulate the notes?
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts