Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:40:36 pm

Author Topic: AA Club - Week 2  (Read 6369 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
AA Club - Week 2
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 05:23:08 pm »
Hey!

- Excellent job on the rhythmic notations - Particularly for doing more than just the obvious notation of the bass line quavers. I'm not quite registering where you've heard the demi-semiquavers though, I don't think there are any note values that short in this excerpt (the tempo is allegro, so demi-semiquavers at this speed would be nuts!). Happy to be corrected if there is something I've missed!
- Remember tempo! A super easy observation that should always appear near the start, really essential not to miss the simple stuff :)
- I like that you've chosen to do tone colour/duration as separate responses completely. I actually think that is a good idea - In an exam would you work on both simultaneously or allocate playings to each one?
- Your tone colour observations are pretty spot on - Not much I would have added to it. Be sure your duration observations don't leak into this part of the response, if you are doing it this way.
- A bit more exploration of the different synthesised sounds you are hearing would be welcome - You've got that deep, thudding bassline in the verses but then the higher pitched synthesiser enters in conjunction with the shift to falsetto in the chorus. Very different moods - Would be worth exploring those differences as achieved by more than just the voice :)
- Good work to mention the genre: Something a lot of people forget!

I don't think you are bad at aural at all! This is an effective response for sure - I think you've shown you could easily be in the Band 5 range, the high Band 5 range at that. I think you are right on the edge of a Band 6 level score, just a little extra work and I'd be more confident in saying you've gotten there ;D

Thanks so much , JAMONN! This is such an awesome idea of doing this aural skills club haha.
I really love the feedback :) ! Looking forward to further strengthening my aural through this!
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: AA Club - Week 2
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »
+2
Hey here is my response , I'm not too good at notating rhythms though- any tips?
Thanks heaps!

Hey Caitlin!

- Excellent work on rhythmic observations in Verse 1 - You've also covered beat, metre and tempo. Nice!
- Good work on tone colour in Verse 1 as well - Remember for vocalists you can discuss their register as an easy detail to add ;D
- The second synthesiser you describe (I think I'm following you), doesn't play sixteenth notes, it actually plays in rhythmic unison with the first, more bass like synthesiser riff!
- Fantastic discussion of the tone colour differences in Verse 2! Some more discussion of the new rhythmic patterns in this section would be beneficial.

For rhythmic dictation, if you are having trouble, start not with notes but with lines representing the relative length of the notes. So,

-   -   -   ----------    -   -   -   ------------

^ Something like that - This might be where you stop and the markers are okay with that! Otherwise, it can be a building block to the notes themselves ;D

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 08:05:00 pm »
+1
Hey Caitlin!

- Excellent work on rhythmic observations in Verse 1 - You've also covered beat, metre and tempo. Nice!
- Good work on tone colour in Verse 1 as well - Remember for vocalists you can discuss their register as an easy detail to add ;D
- The second synthesiser you describe (I think I'm following you), doesn't play sixteenth notes, it actually plays in rhythmic unison with the first, more bass like synthesiser riff!
- Fantastic discussion of the tone colour differences in Verse 2! Some more discussion of the new rhythmic patterns in this section would be beneficial.

For rhythmic dictation, if you are having trouble, start not with notes but with lines representing the relative length of the notes. So,

-   -   -   ----------    -   -   -   ------------

^ Something like that - This might be where you stop and the markers are okay with that! Otherwise, it can be a building block to the notes themselves ;D
thanks so much for the feedback!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 08:32:31 pm »
You are welcome guys!! Will have a third week ready asap ;D

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 08:27:30 pm »
Hey here is my response , I'm not too good at notating rhythms though- any tips?
Thanks heaps!

Just realized that you posted a file onto this. Can someone tell me how to post a file without getting any file sizing complaints?
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 03:09:56 pm »
Hey Guys! Would anyone know about a website in which there are past papers but they have answers too not generalizations?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 07:09:24 pm »
+3
Just realized that you posted a file onto this. Can someone tell me how to post a file without getting any file sizing complaints?
If you're getting file sizing complaints you could always upload a picture to imgur and then put it on the forums.
how to upload pictures to the forums
To embed an image to your post it needs to be uploaded to a site like imgur. Once the picture is uploaded, in the right hand corner there is a arrow and once pressed, the option to get share links. Copy and paste the one that says BBCode (Forums) and the image will work in your post.

Hey Guys! Would anyone know about a website in which there are past papers but they have answers too not generalizations?
I don't know any websites that would have full answers :(.

This websites from 2001 but includes 4 different aural questions and different examples of what students have written for it (so you can see the difference between a band 3/4 to a 5/6).  https://arc.nesa.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP01_15290/

Other then that, this website which has HSC questions from 2001-2017 with their excerpts. http://www.musicconcepts.com.au/stage6_music1_analysis.html. Or just the HSC marking guidelines.

Hope this helps!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 08:32:22 pm »
Here is my response for week 2 AA someone please check it and rate it out of 6 marks. I really need help in finding what I need to work on in music theory.
https://imgshare.io/image/SHVQ7
https://imgshare.io/image/SH15g
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:34:12 pm by Kombmail »
-KgkG-