Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:42:08 am

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 84200 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »
Thanks man :) Here's the score and a link to the mp3
https://soundcloud.com/edmond-gao/comp
This got my attention because I'm also a pianist. I like the composition, and I also have some questions about it.

1. What was your inspiration :P
2. For a piece in duple time, why is it at around 34s in the middle of what I pictured was a phrase, the melody suddenly briefly becomes noticeably more low pitched?
3. It feels like a change from a minor to a major key occurred at around 49s, which was pretty smooth. But the diminished C Eb A?? (I think) at around 59s brings it back quite abruptly! Might there be a contrast here?
4. The tempo change in 1:07 was really noticeable. It seemed like a completely new character here. Why did you implement it?
5. How long did this take you?

That moment when paper 1 and music 1 aural are on the same day  :( :( :(

Rip all of us
Struggles of every music student.

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
This got my attention because I'm also a pianist. I like the composition, and I also have some questions about it.

1. What was your inspiration :P
2. For a piece in duple time, why is it at around 34s in the middle of what I pictured was a phrase, the melody suddenly briefly becomes noticeably more low pitched?
3. It feels like a change from a minor to a major key occurred at around 49s, which was pretty smooth. But the diminished C Eb A?? (I think) at around 59s brings it back quite abruptly! Might there be a contrast here?
4. The tempo change in 1:07 was really noticeable. It seemed like a completely new character here. Why did you implement it?
5. How long did this take you?
Struggles of every music student.

1. The prescribed topic is Australian Music of the last 25 years (although the markers say this is so broad anything fits), so my original inspirations were from the Australian pianist Elena Kats-Chernin and some of her earlier works. That being said, after the first month or so, the composition sort of transformed into a mix of that/Baroque techniques/Classical focus just because that's the sort of style I'm familiar with.
2. The piece was intended to be quite fugal and has multiple voices. The melody here is shifting to a voice in a lower register.
3. As the A section is mainly minor and the B section is mainly major, I toyed around with the ending bars of the A section, by sort of giving the marker a "glimpse" of the tonality that would come later. The diminished chord is the last chord before the transition begins so it's to add dramatic effect :p
4. Originally I had only one big fugal section, but after listening to it for 2 minutes it became quite repetitive so I decided to vary the structure and add a new section. I had to keep consistencies such as the shape of the melody and rhythm, but I added some contrast with features such as the tonality and the tempo.
5. From the beginning of year 12 to the end of August :D Although there were many on and off periods. I did a lot in the first few months, and slowed down a lot around Term 2. I made a lot of changes after trials so that's when the bulk of what you're listening to now was written.

Glad you liked the composition :)

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 10:31:10 pm »
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on melodic dictation???
This is by far my weakest section across the paper and is often the cause of lost marks.

How does everyone practice it and what are some tips for on the day?

Thanks everyone :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 11:58:43 pm »
Hey guys,

This is by far my weakest section across the paper and is often the cause of lost marks.

I didn't do Music II so I'd feel uncomfortable giving specific advice, but I would just like to say that I have massive respect to those who can do melodic dictation well. Good friend of mine who also did Music 1 was a genius at it (classical musician, in the NSW Youth Orchestra, was just a gun) and I could never really get the hang of it.

Anyone who can offer a hand would be awesome!! :)

Thanks man :) Here's the score and a link to the mp3
https://soundcloud.com/edmond-gao/comp

I haven't forgotten you by the way edmodo! I'm just working through a mountain of work right now, I'm definitely keen to have a listen once my workload drops a tad ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 10:59:34 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm unsure about what is the best combination of pieces that I should do for my HSC 2017 for piano :/
I'm planning to do 3 performances and 1 musicology.

My question is: Does it matter if I play the same style for all the pieces (e.g. all 3 songs are from the romantic period), thereby affecting the maximum marks I can achieve? And also is better to have a range of pieces that show different expressive techniques (rubato, trills etc.) ?

What I initially plan to do:
- Chopin - Valse Op. 69 No. 1
- Scott Joplin - Bethena
- George Gershwin - Summertime? (Probably reconsidering this - want to do something jazzy/blues)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 11:21:48 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm unsure about what is the best combination of pieces that I should do for my HSC 2017 for piano :/

My question is: Does it matter if I play the same style for all the pieces (e.g. all 3 songs are from the romantic period), thereby affecting the maximum marks I can achieve? And also is better to have a range of pieces that show different expressive techniques (rubato, trills etc.) ?

- Scott Joplin - Bethena
- George Gershwin - Summertime? (Probably reconsidering this - want to do something jazzy/blues)

Hey Dalvin,

Welcome to the forums, great to see that you are preparing early for your performances as this was one of my, and many others major downfalls.

The syllabus and marking guidelines do not specify if you have to have contrasting pieces for Music 1 or 2; only for Music Extension is it specified that your pieces have to be contrasting. In saying this, the pieces I prepared were all contrasting as I wanted to show off as much skill as I could to the examiners.

The marking guidelines for a top band in performance are:
• Demonstrates highly developed technical skills incorporating technical fluency, technical facility, intonation and articulation appropriate to the
chosen repertoire
• Demonstrates perceptive stylistic understanding through performing repertoire using articulation, dynamics and expressive techniques
• Performs with a well-developed sense of personal expression, demonstrated by the use of appropriate expressive techniques and a
sensitivity to the chosen style
• Demonstrates a highly developed understanding of solo/ensemble techniques including understanding of the role of soloist/ensemble
member, communication with accompanist/ensemble and issues of balance

So... the choice is yours as to whether or not you do decide to branch out, as the first one "highly developed technical skill" may be compromised if you decide to branch out into an area that you are unfamiliar with. If you do however think that you are strong across both genres of music than I would be inclined to do romantic pieces as well as another genre - jazz/blues would be great, especially if you do some improvisation as you are showing a range of skills and techniques which appropriate to different styles as opposed to showing the same techniques (rubato, trills) for the same genre 3 times.

Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:24:37 pm by isaacdelatorre »
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:44 am »
Hey everyone,

- Scott Joplin - Bethena

Hey Dalvin! Again, welcome!!

Isaac's covered most of what I'd say, but I'll just re-iterate that although there is no specific requirement, it is nice to go into that 20 minute session with the markers and show them different aspects of your abilities. By all means play to your strengths, but a bit of variety is good for engagement, even subconsciously!! ;D your pieces get individual marks, but they are inevitably considered together as your 'repertoire' by the markers on the day ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 08:08:18 am »
Ohhhh I get where both of are coming from. Thank you all for your help, it really has made me understand it more! :) This will greatly allow me to open my mind to consider more options.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 01:59:05 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Melodic dictation is a nightmare :( I'm not expert but here are some of the tips I use and how you could practice for tomorrow

For practice:
If you haven't already, practice being able to differentiate between intervals. A way to do this is to remember a song where the first interval of that song is the interval you're trying to remember. That way, when you hear the interval in the exam, you'll think something like: "Oh, that interval sounds like the beginning of the Australian anthem. It's a perfect fourth!"
Your practice doesn't have to be limited to past papers. Listen to any song or piece that you enjoy and try naming all the intervals between each note. This way it'll be more enjoyable than listening to the usually bland pieces they give in the exams :)

In the exam:
Different people always use different techniques. I always write down the rhythm first off so I have a framework before I work on my melody. My friend however, always writes the notes with small dots, before filling them in with the correct rhythm at the very end. It's up to you to figure out what you're more comfortable with.
I do suggest on the first one or two playings, try to remember the piece, so between playings and even after the section is finished, you can continue to work by listening to it in your mind.
Use all the interval work you did in your practice! Listen out and rememebr what songs match with what intervals, and remember that even if you screw up one interval, you wont be marked down if all your following intervals are correct, just shifted a little. One of my friends compares each note to the tonic, which also works, but I find more challenging. Again, up to you :)
Notate the easy notes first. Hear the tonic? Write it down. Not only will it guarantee you have some correct notation but also gives you more reference points for your other intervals.

In the end, it'll still be a nightmare, but I hope these tips help you to secure one or two or five more marks tomorrow :)

student123456

• Adventurer
  • School: Brigidine College Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »
Melodic dictation is a nightmare :( I'm not expert but here are some of the tips I use and how you could practice for tomorrow

For practice:
If you haven't already, practice being able to differentiate between intervals. A way to do this is to remember a song where the first interval of that song is the interval you're trying to remember. That way, when you hear the interval in the exam, you'll think something like: "Oh, that interval sounds like the beginning of the Australian anthem. It's a perfect fourth!"
Your practice doesn't have to be limited to past papers. Listen to any song or piece that you enjoy and try naming all the intervals between each note. This way it'll be more enjoyable than listening to the usually bland pieces they give in the exams :)

In the exam:
Different people always use different techniques. I always write down the rhythm first off so I have a framework before I work on my melody. My friend however, always writes the notes with small dots, before filling them in with the correct rhythm at the very end. It's up to you to figure out what you're more comfortable with.
I do suggest on the first one or two playings, try to remember the piece, so between playings and even after the section is finished, you can continue to work by listening to it in your mind.
Use all the interval work you did in your practice! Listen out and rememebr what songs match with what intervals, and remember that even if you screw up one interval, you wont be marked down if all your following intervals are correct, just shifted a little. One of my friends compares each note to the tonic, which also works, but I find more challenging. Again, up to you :)
Notate the easy notes first. Hear the tonic? Write it down. Not only will it guarantee you have some correct notation but also gives you more reference points for your other intervals.

In the end, it'll still be a nightmare, but I hope these tips help you to secure one or two or five more marks tomorrow :)

super helpful, thank you so much!

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:46 pm »

super helpful, thank you so much!

ironic considering I got absolutely decimated by today's dictation XD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 11:40:43 pm »
ironic considering I got absolutely decimated by today's dictation XD

Stupid me didn't start a Music Exam thread, I will do this in the morning because I want to hear about the exams!! :)

gabbyhsc

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 10:43:23 am »
Hello! I have my first core viva voce coming up and I was just wondering if you had any suggestions!
I'm a really big fan of Ed Sheeran, and I love the way he uses Loop Pedals to create his music.
Loop pedals in general are heaps cool, but I'm not sure how I could link this in to a viva voce?
Do you have any thoughts? Thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2016, 12:52:10 pm »
Hello! I have my first core viva voce coming up and I was just wondering if you had any suggestions!
I'm a really big fan of Ed Sheeran, and I love the way he uses Loop Pedals to create his music.
Loop pedals in general are heaps cool, but I'm not sure how I could link this in to a viva voce?
Do you have any thoughts? Thank you!

Hey Gabby! Welcome to the forums ;D You could frame it in a few ways!
- Use of technology by solo artists to generate musical interests
- Unorthodox sound production methods extending the musical interest of the acoustic guitar
- Just a commentary on expressive techniques in general (loop pedals sort of fall under that category, for lack of a better term)

Ed Sheeran and his loop pedals could be one example, perhaps look at John Butler's use of expressive techniques in Ocean (lots of recordings on Youtube, each one is different with cool new techniques, the guy is a genius). What's the topic for your Core? ;D

gabbyhsc

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2016, 10:30:50 pm »
Hey Gabby! Welcome to the forums ;D You could frame it in a few ways!
- Use of technology by solo artists to generate musical interests
- Unorthodox sound production methods extending the musical interest of the acoustic guitar
- Just a commentary on expressive techniques in general (loop pedals sort of fall under that category, for lack of a better term)

Ed Sheeran and his loop pedals could be one example, perhaps look at John Butler's use of expressive techniques in Ocean (lots of recordings on Youtube, each one is different with cool new techniques, the guy is a genius). What's the topic for your Core? ;D

Thank you so so so much :) its music in the 20th and 21st century! so you think focus on expressive techniques or technology in general?