Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:00:16 am

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 83722 times)  Share 

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 07:39:08 pm »
On the topic of vivas, would you be able to check over my viva outline? (is that counted as an essay? it's not that long)
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 08:35:05 pm »
On the topic of vivas, would you be able to check over my viva outline? (is that counted as an essay? it's not that long)

Of course! No no I'm happy to spend 5 minutes having a look, post requirement is only for the stuff that takes me a good half an hour to do  ;)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 05:43:48 pm »
Of course! No no I'm happy to spend 5 minutes having a look, post requirement is only for the stuff that takes me a good half an hour to do  ;)

Thanks so much! This is the outline I am planning to use in a week for music trials. It has 5 excerpts which I know is a few too many, but I might cut it down before the HSC.

Contemporary Western Music: “It All Sounds The Same"

Overview

• Introduction - “it all sounds the same?”

Origins in the Baroque period 1600-1750 with the introduction of figured bass

Evolved in the 1950s-> 1960s with the growing popularity of rock

Similarities

• Harmony - four chord progression e.g. Someone Like You by Adele I IV vi V

Structure - Verse/Chorus

Tonality - major e.g. Hey by Outkast in G Major

Dynamics - scientific research e.g. graphs of decibel levels

Linked to Baroque - Canon in D by Pachelbel uses same features

Differences

• Harmony - doo wop progression e.g. Friday by Rebecca Black chords

Tone colour - electronic music introduced in 1980s

Texture - electronic, rap e.g. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons uses multiple genres

Duration - meter e.g. Hey Ya by Outkast in irregular meter

Tonality - minor keys more readily used

Conclusion - should we dismiss contemporary music?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:36:26 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »
Thanks so much! This is the outline I am planning to use in a week for music trials. It has 5 excerpts which I know is a few too many, but I might cut it down before the HSC.

Awesome!! As a tip for the excerpts straight off, try demo-ing what you wanted to show instead. For example, just be like, "Oh, this is the chord progression in Rebecca Black's Friday," and play it on piano or guitar or something. Faster than the excerpt, does the same thing, and you get to show off  ;) might work?

I really like this outline, I think it gives you a really clear direction. The trick to think is, does it give the marker clear direction? This is actually perfect, because I have exactly the same information your Viva markers will have, and I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'Similarities' and 'Differences', do you mean with Baroque Music? If that is the focus of your Viva, that's awesome, make it a bit more obvious in the title of your Viva? You don't want the markers confused  :D

As a perhaps contradiction to that idea of clarity, I also think you should be a tiny bit more vague with the musical points you wish to discuss. For example instead of saying 'Tonality - Minor keys more regularly used,' just say Tonality! The idea with those dot points is to give your markers a launch point for their questions, you don't want to answer their questions for them! You don't want, "Oh, so minor tonalities are more often used, tell me about that?", you want, "Okay, tell me about the use of tonality?"

This is an awesome outline, but it needs a little more detail in the headings/overall structure, and less detail for the individual points, in my opinion  :D

PS - I've been dying to find my old Viva Voce Outline but I think I lost it!! Such sadness  :(

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 04:43:31 pm »
Awesome!! As a tip for the excerpts straight off, try demo-ing what you wanted to show instead. For example, just be like, "Oh, this is the chord progression in Rebecca Black's Friday," and play it on piano or guitar or something. Faster than the excerpt, does the same thing, and you get to show off  ;) might work?

I really like this outline, I think it gives you a really clear direction. The trick to think is, does it give the marker clear direction? This is actually perfect, because I have exactly the same information your Viva markers will have, and I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'Similarities' and 'Differences', do you mean with Baroque Music? If that is the focus of your Viva, that's awesome, make it a bit more obvious in the title of your Viva? You don't want the markers confused  :D

As a perhaps contradiction to that idea of clarity, I also think you should be a tiny bit more vague with the musical points you wish to discuss. For example instead of saying 'Tonality - Minor keys more regularly used,' just say Tonality! The idea with those dot points is to give your markers a launch point for their questions, you don't want to answer their questions for them! You don't want, "Oh, so minor tonalities are more often used, tell me about that?", you want, "Okay, tell me about the use of tonality?"

This is an awesome outline, but it needs a little more detail in the headings/overall structure, and less detail for the individual points, in my opinion  :D

PS - I've been dying to find my old Viva Voce Outline but I think I lost it!! Such sadness  :(

Thanks so much for your tips! A demo is a good idea, as I am having a hard time getting it short enough - especially since they might ask me random questions that get me off topic!  :-\ I doubled up on "Hey Ya" to help, but do you think I would need to play it both times, or just once??

My viva is on similarities in 21st century music so I will specify that. And I agree about having less detail, I just wasn't sure if I needed to give the markers more direction so they wouldn't just ask anything. But at the same time I don't want to give too many spoilers, so I'll probably change it a bit.

Thanks so much again, this is super helpful :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 08:30:23 pm »
Thanks so much for your tips! A demo is a good idea, as I am having a hard time getting it short enough - especially since they might ask me random questions that get me off topic!  :-\ I doubled up on "Hey Ya" to help, but do you think I would need to play it both times, or just once??

My viva is on similarities in 21st century music so I will specify that. And I agree about having less detail, I just wasn't sure if I needed to give the markers more direction so they wouldn't just ask anything. But at the same time I don't want to give too many spoilers, so I'll probably change it a bit.

Thanks so much again, this is super helpful :D

Definitely just play it the once! Just be like, "Yo, that excerpt from earlier? Yeah that was irregular metre  ;D"

No problem at all! Happy to help  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 11:53:56 am »
For anyone interested, I've just posted an article on Tips for Viva Voces ;D

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 07:49:14 pm »
For anyone interested, I've just posted an article on Tips for Viva Voces ;D

Thank you, I will be sure to have a look! I did my viva for trials last week and it was not what I expected/had practised for at all, so no idea how I went. And midway through the marker was like "I'm not exactly sure what point you're getting at here" which just made me panic  :-\

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 10:55:06 pm »
Thank you, I will be sure to have a look! I did my viva for trials last week and it was not what I expected/had practised for at all, so no idea how I went. And midway through the marker was like "I'm not exactly sure what point you're getting at here" which just made me panic  :-\

It's okay, I am sure you went fine! ;D in situations like that, don't panic! That statement was just a cue for you to attempt to explain your point again, or link to your main idea a little more clearly, though I do think it's a bit harsh to have expressed it in that fashion :P but hey, that's what Trials is about, dealing with those sorts of issues in preparation for the real thing, let me know how you went! ;D

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 11:25:17 pm »
What are your pre-music practical exams rituals, by the way? I know there are rituals for writing ones but I wasn't sure how to get in the right head/fingerspace for music. I had to search all around the school for pianos to warm up my fingers (I obviously couldn't practise in any near the music room, where other people were being examined), and by the time I forgot my laptop for my viva as well, I was suitably stressed. And not in the best mental space to play my pieces!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 11:58:05 pm »
What are your pre-music practical exams rituals, by the way? I know there are rituals for writing ones but I wasn't sure how to get in the right head/fingerspace for music. I had to search all around the school for pianos to warm up my fingers (I obviously couldn't practise in any near the music room, where other people were being examined), and by the time I forgot my laptop for my viva as well, I was suitably stressed. And not in the best mental space to play my pieces!

Being a guitarist, I was lucky enough to be able to walk outside and play in the courtyard (at my school the whole school knows when the HSC Music Performances are on, students walking past get a bit of a free show from people practicing) ;) it's rotten that you can't practice closer!

In any case, I did my warmups about an hour before the exam. Scales, stretches, a few runs through the piece one last time. That would take me about half an hour to do properly. Checked tuning, all that stuff. For the half an hour beforehand, I honestly just talked to people, tried to keep my mind at ease. I paced, like a lot. For me, I get rid of the adrenalin by pacing, so 15 minutes before the performance I was probably looking very nutty striding back and forth around the waiting area. 5 minutes before I strapped myself up and just stretched until showtime ;D

Being organised is so key. Get there early, have everything set hours in advance, try to avoid last minute rushes for obvious reasons. From there, do whatever will make you feel most at ease. For me, it was movement, but anything that works ;D

Unexpected stuff happens though. A friend of mine had a bass string snap during his HSC warmup. They were nice enough to let him swap with the next person and all the guitarists jumped into action and had it re-strung in about 2 minutes flat, so crisis averted. The point being, it's impossible to prepare for everything, your job as the performer is just to be confident and roll with the punches. If something goes awry (forgotten laptop, jam finger in piano lid, etc), just take a breath and let it happen :)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:32:11 pm by jamonwindeyer »

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 11:27:26 am »
Hey, not sure if this is the right place, but I'm doing Music 2 this year, which means I had to do a composition major work. Of course, it's already submitted, but would you or do you know anyone who would be able to do a quick short mark of it so I can get an idea of how well I did (because honestly I have no clue whether it's a masterpiece or absolutely horrible)? Thanks :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 12:31:50 pm »
Hey, not sure if this is the right place, but I'm doing Music 2 this year, which means I had to do a composition major work. Of course, it's already submitted, but would you or do you know anyone who would be able to do a quick short mark of it so I can get an idea of how well I did (because honestly I have no clue whether it's a masterpiece or absolutely horrible)? Thanks :)

Hey Edmodo! Welcome to the forums! ;D

I did 2 Music 1 Compositions, I definitely don't consider myself an expert, but I can give you my opinion! Upload the score/musical notation, pop a link to any recording you have, and I'll give it a listen :)

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »
Hey Edmodo! Welcome to the forums! ;D

I did 2 Music 1 Compositions, I definitely don't consider myself an expert, but I can give you my opinion! Upload the score/musical notation, pop a link to any recording you have, and I'll give it a listen :)

Thanks man :) Here's the score and a link to the mp3
https://soundcloud.com/edmond-gao/comp

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 06:23:03 pm »
That moment when paper 1 and music 1 aural are on the same day  :( :( :(

Rip all of us