Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:04:20 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596267 times)  Share 

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #810 on: April 14, 2013, 02:34:47 pm »
Ok im studying Canadas constitutional approach to protecting rights. What exactly do I need to know? There are a lot of express rights listed, am I supposed to know all of them?? And is the cjarter of rights and freedoms their bill of rights? In the justice and outcomes textbook theres so much detail on things like pre-legislative scrutiny, overriding provision, advisory opinions,etc. Do we need to know this all in detail??

Information overload.. I'm confused :/

I didn't do Canada but as a guide you need to know
- how rights are protected, do they have a bill of rights, is it in constitution or legislation
- what kind of rights are protected eg democratic, social rights
- how are te rights enforced, can judges declare legislation invalid if they contradict rights
- how can rights be changed eg referendum

Yeah need to know quite a bit of info on this because if a question is asked it is generally a comparison between your country and Australia
Hopefully someone can answer your questions specifically on Canada
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

alkj2poivauu3q5oi

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #811 on: April 21, 2013, 03:53:52 pm »
In the Tasmanian dam case the High Court was called on the interpret the words "external affairs" in S51(xxix) of the Constitution.

When referencing the Constitution sections, are we required to remember the (xxix) part or just the section S51?

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #812 on: April 21, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »
In the Tasmanian dam case the High Court was called on the interpret the words "external affairs" in S51(xxix) of the Constitution.

When referencing the Constitution sections, are we required to remember the (xxix) part or just the section S51?

I think you have to remember the sub section no. because the "external affairs" power isn't just in s51; plus you have to be specific when mentioning it because there are many sub sections in S51 of the Constitution.
My teacher just said to remember the section that is interpreted because it's important to know why and the impact on that power. But always double check with your teacher :D
When's your AOS2 sac?
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #813 on: April 21, 2013, 04:05:49 pm »

Yes you really need to put in the subsections because as already stated there are many subsections in section 51. For example if you look t the aboriginal referendum this Oneida section 51 subsection xxvi

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #814 on: April 21, 2013, 04:17:17 pm »

My teacher says its not necessary to remember specific subsections (for the sacs, although this may depend upon your teacher), but it is probably good to remember it because you'll need it for the exam.
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

redlynk

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Portland Secondary College
« Reply #815 on: April 21, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »
my legal  studies teacher has required us to know two other countries constitution for our next sac which two would be the easy examples  to remember?

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #816 on: April 21, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »
my legal  studies teacher has required us to know two other countries constitution for our next sac which two would be the easy examples  to remember?

Ummm why two countries? You only need to know one in detail.
Aren't you doing it class or is your teacher making you do all the work? - which is a bit unfair

My teacher says its not necessary to remember specific subsections (for the sacs, although this may depend upon your teacher), but it is probably good to remember it because you'll need it for the exam.

Its also kinda one of those things where markers can potential separate you from someone who has put the subsections in, just shows a greater depth of knowledge.
If you know them put them in.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:44:59 pm by michak »

alkj2poivauu3q5oi

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
« Reply #817 on: April 21, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »
+1
I think you have to remember the sub section no. because the "external affairs" power isn't just in s51; plus you have to be specific when mentioning it because there are many sub sections in S51 of the Constitution.
My teacher just said to remember the section that is interpreted because it's important to know why and the impact on that power. But always double check with your teacher :D
When's your AOS2 sac?

Alright thanks. I guess I'll remember them to err on the side of caution. My SAC is on Tuesday and my teacher has been away since the end of last term  :-\

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #818 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:13 pm »
My SAC is on Tuesday and my teacher has been away since the end of last term  :-\
Good Luck on your sac! Is it on the constitution only?
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

alkj2poivauu3q5oi

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
« Reply #819 on: April 21, 2013, 05:28:59 pm »
Good Luck on your sac! Is it on the constitution only?

Yep, we're leaving the Protection of Rights for the next SAC.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #820 on: April 21, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »
Alright thanks. I guess I'll remember them to err on the side of caution. My SAC is on Tuesday and my teacher has been away since the end of last term  :-\

Oh, that sucks. I hope you do well, though.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #821 on: April 21, 2013, 06:21:59 pm »
+1
Sections and subsections (apart from ss109 and 128) aren't required for the exam. SACs: teacher rules.

Every bit of detail you have that is relevant and used effectively adds to your answer, but you get no bonus marks or credit for having sections or subsections. Focus on good analysis first - this is the bit most people miss, concentrating on dates, facts and numbers.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #822 on: April 21, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »
^ Well i always got told it was important for the exam, and my teacher is an examiner. oh well

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #823 on: April 21, 2013, 06:32:46 pm »
^ Well i always got told it was important for the exam, and my teacher is an examiner. oh well

Yeah, same. My teacher is very pedantic about details, but I guess subsections aren't that hard to remember.

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #824 on: April 21, 2013, 06:39:48 pm »
Yeah, same. My teacher is very pedantic about details, but I guess subsections aren't that hard to remember.
I always get mixed up with S51 xxxi and S51 xxix LOL
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017