Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:08:45 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 604199 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
Please help :):)

The Victorian Law Reform commission recommended that abortion should be removed as an offence under the 'Crimes Act 1958' when performed by a qualified medical practitioner. Describe the process that would be used by parliament to change the law.

[Is that the whole reviewing and debating of the legislation to bring about a change in it? I'm confused :/]

btw, thanks!

In essence, yes. For a bill/legislation to be made law, it must be passed by both houses of parliament (House of Representatives/Senate or Legislative Assembly/Legislative Council). Then, it must be given royal assent by the Queen's representative (Governor-General/Governor) and then proclamation. It depends whether the question is asking the process at the federal or state level; I tend to think it's the state parliament, since it mentions the VLRC. You may need to talk about the finer details as well; First reading, Second reading, Consideration-in-detail/Committee of the Whole, Third reading and so on.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2011, 11:08:52 pm »
ooooh okaayyy :) thanks!!
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

martinjm

« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2011, 07:05:04 pm »
Hi,

Is recklessly causing injury criminal or civil. I think it's criminal but why?

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2011, 07:13:19 pm »
Criminal. It's an offence which harms an individual's well-being/safety - it's a breach of criminal law. It's an indictable offence. Read this or this for more information.

Section 18. Crimes Act 1958 - Causing injury recklessly

A person who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly causes injury to another person is guilty of an indictable offence.

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2011, 08:47:26 pm »
Hi,

Is recklessly causing injury criminal or civil. I think it's criminal but why?
I'm pretty sure you could turn it into a civil case as well. If the plaintiff had time off work or wanted thier medical expenses paid, they could seek compensation from the defendent.

... But, if you are looking at just the act of the injury being caused and nothing further than that, it would be criminal.
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

gs

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #335 on: February 11, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »
You could turn someone being killed on purpose into a civil case too. The guardian/s may seek compensation for Psychologists fees. :P
Bachelor of Laws / Bachelor of Business
'VU Achievement Scholarship' recipient

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2011, 09:13:58 pm »

You are upset about a recent proposed change in the law. What do you think will be the most
effective way to let parliament know your views? Justify your decision.

[For this sort of question where you have to put out your own opinion, can answers vary to a great extent? I thought maybe petitions would be the most effective because they were the least disruptive, but then I realised parliament doesn't ALWAYS bring forward all petitions :/]

what do you guys think??

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
Answers could definitely vary for this question.
Petitions is a good answer, you could add in to your answer ; as long as there are a lot of signitures showing support for the change in the law, the petition should be successful .
You could really choose any method to change the law for this question as long as you are able to justify your answer.
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2011, 09:24:37 pm »

You are upset about a recent proposed change in the law. What do you think will be the most
effective way to let parliament know your views? Justify your decision.

[For this sort of question where you have to put out your own opinion, can answers vary to a great extent? I thought maybe petitions would be the most effective because they were the least disruptive, but then I realised parliament doesn't ALWAYS bring forward all petitions :/]

what do you guys think??
My initial reaction would be a petition but for a different reason to you....
The weighting of petitions in parliament increases as the amount of signatures increases. So if you were to get a couple hundred thousand (dont know how hard this would be) signatures to show support you may initiate a change in the law...

You could also potentially argue the use of media. If you were that upset and it effected you badly you could go on ACA or Today Tonight and have a sook and then other sooks would join your cause.This works because television programs often overdramatise issues to gather more viewers which in this case would work

I think with this question as long as you can justify the method as being the most effective you will get the marks.
Answers for this could vary greatly as each person may see a method of changing the law differently... but justify your decision and you'll be right
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »
As you said, I think answers can vary to a great extent. It doesn't matter which "way" you write down as long as you can justify it to be awarded full marks. I tend to write demonstrations, or lobbying a member of parliament. Petitions are really only effective, if there are many signatures. In short, what ech_93 and andy456 said.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2011, 10:06:41 pm »
Oooh okayy thanks so much :)

Tobias Funke

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2011, 12:20:19 am »
I think this thread is relevant enough.

I want to start practicing actual exam questions, wondering which parts of the exam AoS1 is covered mostly?
sometimes I feel as if I'd be more enriched in life if I bought an RV and started cooking meth

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:46 pm »
I think this thread is relevant enough.

I want to start practicing actual exam questions, wondering which parts of the exam AoS1 is covered mostly?

It's important to have a good understanding of everything in AOS1 however I realised from looking through past exams that 'reasons why laws need to change', 'principles of parliamentary system', 'vlrc' and 'strengths and weaknesses of parliament as a law making body' are usually present.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2011, 01:44:28 pm »
In addition to what Zafaraaaa said, you can get questions from AOS 1 relating to;

- Structure of Commonwealth and Victorian Parliaments (which can be categorised under "Principles of Parliamentary system")
- Influencing Change; Formal and Informal Processes - Methods used to influence change
- Drafting legislation - Problems in drafting legislation

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2011, 09:01:05 pm »
Where's everyone up to in school? o.0

We're up to the VLRC; we've been going pretty slow lately - even had time to watch some Legal Studies-related videos in class. I've got a practice SAC next Monday; then the following Monday, I've got the actual SAC! I suppose I'll be the first one (as well as cltf) to post my SAC result (%) in the other thread.  =]