Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:58:05 am

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 260123 times)  Share 

Em.C11

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #870 on: September 18, 2020, 04:43:38 pm »
Just wondering if someone can explain to me the concept of burden of disease. I understand the definition and all that but I'm trying to understand it more in relation to health status styled exam questions.
For example- if i say that a high body mass index can cause cardiovascular disease can i then say that it therefore leads to an increase in burden of disease?
I hope that makes sense.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #871 on: September 18, 2020, 05:01:28 pm »
+1
Just wondering if someone can explain to me the concept of burden of disease. I understand the definition and all that but I'm trying to understand it more in relation to health status styled exam questions.
For example- if i say that a high body mass index can cause cardiovascular disease can i then say that it therefore leads to an increase in burden of disease?
I hope that makes sense.

Hey Em.C11,

Burden of disease is measured in DALYs (disability adjusted life years). The equation for DALY is years of life lost (YLL) plus years of life lost due to disability (YLD).

Therefore, when linking to burden of disease, If you ever just see the words ‘burden of disease’ in a question, you MUST relate your answer back to YLL, YLD, or DALYs.

Hope this helps :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

sherws

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #872 on: September 28, 2020, 10:49:08 pm »
Hey Dudes!

Does anyone have a list of what we can and can't abbreviate throughout the exam. For example, what's acceptable ie. H+W for Health and Wellbeing, and what's not? :)

MEH0010

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #873 on: September 28, 2020, 11:05:14 pm »
+2
Hey Dudes!

Does anyone have a list of what we can and can't abbreviate throughout the exam. For example, what's acceptable ie. H+W for Health and Wellbeing, and what's not? :)

VCAA assessors have said that you can write H+W on the exam. Other accepted abbreviations include SDG, WHO, HALE, DALY, and some others. However, if a question asks, for example, how is burden disease measured (VCAA 2016) the full term is required.

sherws

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #874 on: September 28, 2020, 11:05:42 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have an Indigenous Health Programme and the ways in which it meets the Ottowa Charter's action areas? :)

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #875 on: September 28, 2020, 11:09:29 pm »
+4
Hi Everyone!
Does anyone have an Indigenous Health Programme and the ways in which it meets the Ottowa Charter's action areas? :)
Describe one initiative which aims to address the difference in health status experienced by Indigenous population:
The Be Deadly, Get Healthy Program:
•   Outline: The Be Deadly, Get Healthy (BDGH) program aims to improve the health of Aboriginal families and reduce chronic disease in Baw Baw shire in the Gippsland area of Victoria
•   Extra details: The program uses a family-based approach, where children and parents are encouraged to participate to learn long-term healthy behaviours, this is done by an initial health assessment and participation in physical activity sessions; such as group walks, gym circuits. Thus, promoting physical health and wellbeing for the Indigenous population

How does that program reflect the action areas of the Ottawa Charter:
•   Develop personal skills: Through the BDGH program the Indigenous population learn long-term healthy behaviours such as exercise strategies, through group exercise sessions, group walks and gym circuits  that educate the Indigenous populations methods to maintain healthy body weight, through physical activity, thereby promoting physical health and wellbeing   
•   Reorient health services: Through the BDGH program the West Gippsland Healthcare group (WGHG) provides health messages to the Indigenous population, with adequate exercise strategies, and physical development skills rather than mere medical treatment
•   Strengthen community action: The program is developed in partnership with WGHG and Ramahyuck District Aboriginal Corporation (RDAC) thus strengthening the relationship between the healthcare groups and the district Aboriginal cooperation, such connections allow for less economic stress for the Aboriginal community, promoting mental health and wellbeing   

Evaluate the selected program Indigenous initiative according to 2-3 of the relevant criteria:
•   The Be Deadly, Get Healthy program aims to improve the health of Aboriginal families and reduce chronic disease in Baw Baw shire in the Gippsland area, and is effective in improving the health status of the Indigenous population
•   The program is receiving adequate funding evident by the program being free for all Aboriginals, as the program is funded through Vic Outreach Aboriginal Health provides the necessary funds needed for the program to be sustainable and act as a resource to promote health and wellbeing of the Indigenous population, with adequate funding the program is effective as Aboriginal community is able to regularly attend program and thereby promoting physical health and wellbeing of the Aboriginal community
•   In this program, education is provided to the Indigenous population on making long-term healthy behaviours/decisions, such as participating in regular physical activity and therefore promoting health and wellbeing of the Indigenous population, with education the program is effective as Indigenous Australians empowered with knowledge on physical exercise strategies and are able to make healthy decisions and promote a healthy body weight 
•   The Indigenous Australians living in the Baw Baw shire have a high proportion of type 2 diabetes, thus this program aims to reduce the incidence of type 2 diabetes. The program successfully attempts to do this by employing physical exercise strategies to reduce weight gain in the population and therefore reducing the risks associated with conditions such as type 2 diabetes, thereby the program is effective in reducing the incidence of type 2 diabetes, promoting a healthy body weight and ultimately promoting health and wellbeing in the Indigenous population
•   As a result, the program can be deemed effective in improving the health status of the Indigenous population 
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #876 on: October 23, 2020, 05:08:42 pm »
Hey! Would anyone happen to have some solutions to the VCAA sample questions? I'm not sure how many marks to give myself on the 10 markers

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #877 on: October 24, 2020, 05:51:32 pm »
+8
Hey! Would anyone happen to have some solutions to the VCAA sample questions? I'm not sure how many marks to give myself on the 10 markers
Here are some sample responses:
Q3 Selecting evidence from the sources presented and using your understanding of dietary change, draw conclusions about the impact of dietary initiatives on the health and wellbeing of Australians, and the challenges faced by organisations that are focused on bringing about dietary change in Australia. (10 marks)

Spoiler
Overall dietary initiatives have seen some success in encourage healthy eating, however multiple challenges have failed to be overcome, contributing to rising obesity rates. Some dietary initiatives have seen some progress in improving the diet of Australians, evident in Source 1, the Alfred Health’s nudge project which implemented a labelling system resulted in 77% people stating that it influenced their meal choice. More importantly, the program found a 26% increase in the consumption of ‘green’ (healthy and nutrient dense) meals, and a 17% decrease in ‘red’ (unhealthy and energy dense) meals, demonstrating the promotion of healthy eating. Hence, dietary initiatives have seen an increase in the consumption of nutrient dense foods, thereby promoting physical health and wellbeing. Additionally, the Australian Dietary Guidelines provides advice for Australians when it comes to their diet, for instance Guideline 3: Limit intake of foods high in saturated fat, added salt, added sugar and alcohol, hence when Australians follow the advice of Guideline 3 they are less likely to eat energy dense foods and thereby promote dietary change. However numerous challenges have bene presented and need to be overcome to bring about dietary change. This is evident, since in 1995 the total obesity rate was 18.7% which increased overtime to 27.9% in 2014/2015 (source 2). Such challenges include; personal preference most people prefer foods high in fat, salt and sugar as they are flavour enhancers and stimulate the taste buds and the brain’s reward system. Additionally, individuals most often do not have the willpower or commitment to change food intake and are unable to resist temptations of unhealthier food choices. Coupled, with the time inconvenience healthy foods have (e.g. preparation, cooking) individuals are less likely to consume healthy foods, and as a result, only 24% of women and 15% of men meet the fruit and vegetable guidelines (source 3) highlighting the detrimental impacts the challenges have in promoting healthier food choices. Therefore, more effort and improvement in dietary initiatives is needed to overcome the plethora of challenges in bringing about dietary change in Australia.
Q4 ‘Climate change has greater implications for the health and wellbeing of high-income countries than for low-income countries.’ To what extent do you agree with this statement? (8 marks)
Spoiler
I mainly disagree with statement above, low-income countries experience greater implications for their health and wellbeing compared to high income countries due to climate change. Climate change impacts the quality of air and water, the availability of food and shelter, specifically rising sea levels cause an increase in salt in freshwater and thereby a reduction in the availability of fresh water, causing water scarcity and thus leading to water-borne illnesses such as diarrhoea negatively affecting physical health and wellbeing. Low-income countries do not have the money or resources to overcome water sacristy, whilst high-income countries are more likely to afford the resources to recover from such an event. Also, with climate change, extreme weather events are becoming more frequent, for instance natural disasters can increase homelessness leading to social isolation, negatively affecting social health and wellbeing. Low-income countries have lower levels of employment and education, thereby have limited health and social services, resulting in victims of natural disasters not being compensated and unable to overcome from such distress, negatively affecting mental health and wellbeing, whilst high-income countries have better access to health and social services and are more likely to receive support in such situations. Finally, changing weather patterns, has resulted in increasing temperature, contributing to crops being destroyed low-income countries have higher levels of food security, compared to high-income countries who have access to money and resources to combat climate change, and preserve crops whilst in low-income countries do not have access to such resources and as such are less likely to consume nutritious foods, negatively affecting physical health and wellbeing.
Q5a Describe the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). (2 marks)
The NDIS supports individuals with a significant or permanent disability under the age of 65 and their families over the individuals lifetime. The NDIS also support individuals with a disability to gain independence, involvement in their community, education, employment, through mainstream support such as installation of ramps in the house.
Q5b Analyse how the NDIS promotes health and wellbeing in Australia. Your response must include a discussion of access, equity and sustainability. (6 marks)
Spoiler
The NDIS entails an accessible healthcare system, evident with the NDIS providing individuals with a significant disability under the age of 65, access to community services and support (e.g. sporting clubs) thus individuals are able to develop meaningful social connections, thereby promoting social health and wellbeing. Additionally, the NDIS promotes equity by ensuring a fair health system as it provides additional financial funded supports, such as the installation of ramps to make the house wheelchair accessible, this instils fairness as it allows those who are disadvantaged due to disability have the resources to lead an ordinary life, such funds reduce the stress and anxiety of individuals, promoting mental health and wellbeing. The NDIS promotes sustainability, through he increased Medicare levy (2%) ensured adequate funds were met to maintain the NDIS, and thus individuals with a significant disability under the age of 65, can receive the support they need such as access to healthcare, thereby promoting physical health and wellbeing.
Q6a From the table above, identify the cause of death that shows the greatest decrease between 1907 and 2000. Discuss how the biomedical and social models of health could have contributed to a reduction in death rates. (6 marks)
Spoiler
Infectious diseases has seen to have the greatest decrease between 1907 and 2000, evident in the table above in 1907 12.6% of deaths reduced to 1.3% in 2000. The biomedical model focuses on the physical or biological aspect of disease and illness, with the biomedical model there was advances in medical technology, resulted in the introduction of antibiotics, contributing to a decrease in infectious diseases such as pneumonia. Hence, the biomedical model is associated with the diagnosis, treatment and cure of diseases, and such efforts from this model has resulted in a reduction is deaths for infectious diseases. The social model of health considers the physical, sociocultural and political environment, focusing in prevention of diseases. The social model applies the principle ‘empower individuals and communities’ through education, for instance campaigns and advertisements on safe sex practises, saw a decrease in sexually transmitted infectious (such as HIV/AIDS) thereby contributing to a reduction in death rates for infectious diseases.
Q6b To what extent could low-income and middle-income countries improve their health status by implementing the actions of the ‘old’ public health system from countries like Australia? (6 marks)
Spoiler
To a moderate extent the actions of ‘old’ public health system can improve the health status of low and middle-income countries. The ‘old’ public health system focused on changing the physical environment to prevent the spread of disease. For instance, measures such as government funded water and sewage systems ensured people had cleaner water to drink, and better sanitation seeing a decrease in infectious diseases from 12.6% in 1907 to 1.3% in 2000, and thus decrease in mortality from infectious diseases. Also, improved housing conditions led to reduced respiratory conditions, evident in 1907 14.3% deaths due to respiratory conditions decreased to 8.9% in 2000 thus due to improved air quality resulted in decreased mortality from respiratory conditions. However, the ‘old’ public health system is limited and only focuses on the physical environment, not considering the impact of the social, economic and political environment, for instance low and middle-income countries have lower levels of access to healthcare, thereby are less likely to be tested nor scanned for pre-existing conditions which can result in conditions, such as cancers being left undiagnosed and thus result in higher mortality rates.
Q8b Collaborative action aiming to reduce maternal mortality is more effective when the collaboration addresses the relationship between SDG 3 and other SDGs.’ With reference to one other SDG, to what extent do you agree with this statement? (4 marks)
Spoiler
I completely agree with the above statement, action taken to end violence against woman and girls (SDG 5: Gender equality) will decrease sexual assault, and by achieving gender equality means more women will be educated, and thus educated women are more likely to marry later, and as such give birth at a later age, where there body is better equipped to carry a baby, thus resulting in reduced maternal mortality (SDG 3: Good health and wellbeing)
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #878 on: October 24, 2020, 09:44:51 pm »
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!!

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #879 on: November 03, 2020, 07:21:33 pm »
In the 'to what extent do you agree' questions, is it okay to use 'i' and 'my' in your answer? And also should you mention your stance at the beginning of the question, or can you leave it till the end?

lm21074

• Forum Leader
« Reply #880 on: November 03, 2020, 08:40:51 pm »
+5
In the 'to what extent do you agree' questions, is it okay to use 'i' and 'my' in your answer? And also should you mention your stance at the beginning of the question, or can you leave it till the end?
Yes, it should be okay if you use 'I' or 'my'.
You can mention your stance at the beginning or end, but mentioning it at the beginning would be better structure-wise so that the examiner can explicitly see where you are headed with your response.

Edit: didn't see your second question
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:51:01 pm by lm21074 »

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #881 on: November 03, 2020, 08:43:37 pm »
+3
You can use 'I' and 'my' and you should mention your stance at the beginning as it easier for the examiner to see the direction of your response.
Stronger responses will mention their stance at the beginning, a clear contention at the start will lead to a strong response.
Gl :)
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #882 on: November 03, 2020, 09:50:38 pm »
Ahh thank you both!

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #883 on: November 05, 2020, 06:07:35 pm »
1. I remember Andrew Beaumont explaining in his lecture that it's okay to use abbreviations for some words, but I don't exactly remember how ): When we're answering a question about impact on/dimensions of health and wellbeing– is it okay to write H+WB to save time? Do we have to write "health and wellbeing" at the start of the answer and then put (h+wb) in brackets? Because that seems like it'd take a lot of time and I'm guessing examiners would already know what we're talking about...

2. On questions discussing health status, do we have to refer to specific health indicators (morbidity, incidence, e.t.c) or is it okay to simply write reduction in cases of x disease? I usually refer to a health indicator to be safe but I see a lot of people answering these kinds of questions with "reduces rates of cardiovascular disease" or "increases cases of diabetes" etc

3. If a question asks for impact on individual/national/global health, is it okay to examples such as:
Individual– increased fitness, stronger immune system, able to participate in community
National– increased productivity, lower health related costs
Global– reduced transmission of disease between countries, increased trade opportunities
I always forget how to answer these kind of questions so any advice would help.

Thanks for your tremendous amount of help in this board guys <3
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:09:07 pm by blueycan »

lm21074

• Forum Leader
« Reply #884 on: November 05, 2020, 07:31:12 pm »
+3
Hey!

To answer your questions based on what I know (I'm a fellow 3/4 HHD student!):

1. I think you have to define each initialism you use per question, according to VCAA:
Quote from: VCAA 2020 Exam FAQs
It is recommended that you use only well-known and accepted abbreviations for your subject (for example, ABS, WHO, RBA, VCAT, GST, OHS, PPE) in your response, and that you write these out in full, with the abbreviation in brackets, the first time that you use them in each response. If the abbreviation is used in the examination question, then you may use it in your response. Please avoid using abbreviations that you have made up.
"h+w or h&w" for health and wellbeing should suffice too. Note that DALY and HALE are already accepted on the study design so you don't have to define them.

2. Always refer to health status indicators when answering a question asking to link to health status!

3. You can use those examples, but of course bear in mind that based on the stem of the question (e.g. identify vs briefly explain) signals how much detail you need :)

Hope this helps :)