Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:41:07 am

Author Topic: HSC 2020 Related Text Recommendations  (Read 5215 times)

r3g1n4

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
HSC 2020 Related Text Recommendations
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:24:31 am »
+2
Hi! I am currently in year 11 and would like to start exploring choices for my related text for 2020 HSC English Advanced. I am wondering if you have any recommendations?? I am open to any type of text - novel, movie, etc. Our topic is Texts and Human Experiences.

My given texts are Bright Star - Roadshow 2009 (film), Emma by Jane Austen (novel) and Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare.

Here are some questions we would be answering...
• Identify the human experience being represented: is it individual or collective?
• Which human qualities and emotions are depicted? Select the most salient and provide an example. How is it represented through language forms and features?
• How does this text give insight into the anomalies/paradoxes/inconsistencies in human behaviour and motivations? Select the most salient and provide an example. How is it represented through language forms and features?
• How does the text allow you to ‘draw from personal experience to make connections between themselves, the world of the text and the wider world’
• Does it invite you to see the world differently? Challenge your assumptions? Ignite new ideas? Reflect personally?

Some texts I already have in mind, which is relevant to Merchant of Venice are Jasper Jones, The Pianist and Araby.

Thanks!!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: HSC 2020 Related Text Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:49:54 am »
+4
Hey, r3g1n4!

Fantastic to see that you're thinking ahead for Advanced and looking for a related text already. You'll only need a related text for Texts and Human Experiences, in which your prescribed text is Merchant of Venice. I haven't studied it myself in depth but based on the themes and ideas about human experience that surround the text (and the benefits of you starting early!), a novel would be a great investment for a related  :D I have some recommendations below off the top of my head but I'll add more if I can think of any. Hope this helps!

Merchant of Venice Related Texts Recommendations

Novel/Novella
Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1831)
John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men (1937)
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 12:44:28 pm »
+1
Hey!
Here is a link that contains possible related texts that suit various prescribed texts for the 'Texts and Human Experiences' module.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 01:17:50 pm »
+1
Hi angewina_naguen!😀

I am in a similar position as r3g1n4, about to start yr 12 next term doing the module, Texts and Human Experiences.

I will be studying, "The Boy Behind the Curtain" By Tim Winton, written in 2016 (I think....). I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a related text for this book?

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate😎

BTW, Thanks r1ckworthy for the link
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:20:59 pm »
+2
Hi angewina_naguen!😀

I am in a similar position as r3g1n4, about to start yr 12 next term doing the module, Texts and Human Experiences.

I will be studying, "The Boy Behind the Curtain" By Tim Winton, written in 2016 (I think....). I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a related text for this book?

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate😎

BTW, Thanks r1ckworthy for the link

Hey, Coolmate!

I did Tim Winton myself in the HSC so while I didn't study that text itself, I definitely know what thematically he explores as an author! It would be great to look at texts that explore what it means to be Australian and how narratives look at human experiences being intrinsic to nationhood. Here are some recommendations!

The Boy Behind the Curtain Related Texts Recommendations

Picture Books
Shaun Tan's Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

Film
Nathan Oldfield's The Heart and the Sea (2012)
Jocelyn Moorehouse's The Dressmaker (2015)

Poetry
Les Murray's The Cows on Killing Day (1997)
Jaya's Savige's Carousel (2016)
Robert Adamson's Australasian Darters (2017)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »
Hey, Coolmate!

I did Tim Winton myself in the HSC so while I didn't study that text itself, I definitely know what thematically he explores as an author! It would be great to look at texts that explore what it means to be Australian and how narratives look at human experiences being intrinsic to nationhood. Here are some recommendations!

The Boy Behind the Curtain Related Texts Recommendations

Picture Books
Shaun Tan's Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

Film
Nathan Oldfield's The Heart and the Sea (2012)
Jocelyn Moorehouse's The Dressmaker (2015)

Poetry
Les Murray's The Cows on Killing Day (1997)
Jaya's Savige's Carousel (2016)
Robert Adamson's Australasian Darters (2017)

Thanks angewina_naguen for the help and awesome recommendations!😁

I was just wondering, would I lose marks if I chose a film or the picture book over a poem or novel?

My assignment for this module will be a multi modal task so I was wondering also which text would suit this assignment?

Thanks again!
Coolmate😎
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 02:54:12 pm »
+2
Thanks angewina_naguen for the help and awesome recommendations!😁

I was just wondering, would I lose marks if I chose a film or the picture book over a poem or novel?

My assignment for this module will be a multi modal task so I was wondering also which text would suit this assignment?

Thanks again!
Coolmate😎

Hey Coolmate!

Technically, you can't lose marks for doing a certain text type over another, its a related text and thus, is all about how well you analyse it. If you believe you can analyse a film/picture book better than a poem/novel, then go for it!

A mate of mine did 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgees whereas I did Katy Perry's music video 'Chained to the rhythm' (worked well with 1984), and we both got the same mark.

Also feel obliged to remind you all, that the related will only be used for your internal and not for the HSC exam, so it's not a big deal.

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:19:12 pm by meerae »
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:14:09 pm »
+2
Hey Coolmate!

Technically, you can't loose marks for doing a certain text type over another, its a related text and thus, is all about how well you analyse it. If you believe you can analyse a film/picture book better than a poem/novel, then go for it!

A mate of mine did 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgees whereas I did Katy Perry's music video 'Chained to the rhythm' (worked well with 1984), and we both got the same mark.

Also feel obliged to remind you all, that the related will only be used for your internal and not for the HSC exam, so it's not a big deal.

Hope this helped!
meerae :)

Thanks meerae for clarifying this for me! :D

Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:30:30 am »
Hello All,

I am studying 'I Am Malala' in the 'Common Module', has anyone got any ideas for related texts, ie. focusing on transformative power or education or dislocation/Emigration or the destructive impact of prejudice.

Obviously I would be seeking links relating to the rubric about individual and collective experience, paradoxes, anomalies and inconsistencies.

Thanks In Advance!
Drew.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 02:16:02 pm »
Hello All,

I am studying 'I Am Malala' in the 'Common Module', has anyone got any ideas for related texts, ie. focusing on transformative power or education or dislocation/Emigration or the destructive impact of prejudice.

Obviously I would be seeking links relating to the rubric about individual and collective experience, paradoxes, anomalies and inconsistencies.

Thanks In Advance!
Drew.

Hey, Drew!

Finally have someone studying I am Malala! I think it's a fantastic text so hoping these can serve as fantastic options for related texts  ;D

I am Malala Related Texts Recommendations

Poetry
Peter Skrzynecki's Migrant Hostel (1975)
John Davis' Four Poems About Education (1991)
Janet Wong's Waiting at the Railroad Cafe (1994)

TED Talks
Sarah Kay's If I Should Have a Daughter (2011)
Colin Stokes' How Movies Teach Manhood (2013)
John Green'sPaper Towns and why Learning is Awesome (2015)

Hope one of these are to your liking!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:24:46 pm »
thank you very much!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

r3g1n4

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 08:46:51 pm »
+1
Hey, r3g1n4!

Fantastic to see that you're thinking ahead for Advanced and looking for a related text already. You'll only need a related text for Texts and Human Experiences, in which your prescribed text is Merchant of Venice. I haven't studied it myself in depth but based on the themes and ideas about human experience that surround the text (and the benefits of you starting early!), a novel would be a great investment for a related  :D I have some recommendations below off the top of my head but I'll add more if I can think of any. Hope this helps!

Merchant of Venice Related Texts Recommendations

Novel/Novella
Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1831)
John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men (1937)
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)

Angelina  ;D

Wow!! Thanks so much.. I will definitely look into these texts. Thanks for all the advice.  ;D

Regina