Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:45 pm

Author Topic: Finance at Melbourne or Monash?  (Read 1726 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Finance at Melbourne or Monash?
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »
Just wondering, what is a better program? At Monash or Melbourne?
My mum is set on Melbourne, saying that employers would rather take a graduate from Melbourne than Monash, and how Melbourne has a better reputation than Monash...

Its just that i have been offered a scholarship at Monash, but not at Melbourne (i definitely wont be offered a melbourne one)

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
Re: Finance at Melbourne or Monash?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »
Undergraduate finance is pretty much the same between Monash and Melbourne, I know alot of finance lecturers at both melb and monash - alot of them have taught at both melb and monash, the stuff taught is pretty much the same, and around the same quality between lecturers.

However, if you do want to continue further studies after your bachelors, then masters at uom is much better than monash - better reputation, better course in general and much higher standards.

If you've been provided a scholarship at monash, definitely take up the opportunity, there is marginal difference between the 2 at the undergraduate level and if you wish to continue academia after your undergraduate degree, just simply transfer to uom after you finish bachelors at monash, quite easy to transfer (along with the prospects of getting a scholarship) especially if you have top marks ;)

What your mum said is partially true, employers would certainly "prefer" a melbourne graduate over a monash one since finance at melbourne is more reputable than monash, however this is only true at higher levels - if you graduate after bachelors, employers might even pick a deakin commerce masters graduate over you lol

So yeah basically in summary - definitely plan to do higher levels of study at uom, but for the 3-4 years of undergraduate study - pick the one you got the scholarship in.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:54:10 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

ResearchingMum

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: BSC
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »
I agree with the post above. I am an academic at one of these Unis and know staff at both. The standards are similar. Also, because Monash is slightly "below" UoM in enter requirements, it should enable you to perform better, and a higher average from Monash than what you may get at Melbourne would help you stand out. Both are good, and if the scholarship helps, then go to  Monash. I don't think employers will differentiate between the two at undergraduate level.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:45:27 pm by ResearchingMum »

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:58:34 pm »
Thank you very much both of you!
The transfer option and standing out is really looking very good, definitely considering taking the scholarship!

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »
that's great :) the scholarship is very good and definitely worth accepting for such a good course. If you do end up taking the offer, then looks like i'll be seeing you around next year ;)
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Tashi

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 02:16:44 am »
6k a year is tempting... but I really hate the location and look of Monash lol. So I'm just gonna stick with commerce at Melbourne.