Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:57:41 am

Author Topic: Should I drop chem  (Read 2404 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Should I drop chem
« on: May 23, 2019, 06:07:30 pm »
Hi everyone

So I begun chemistry 1/2 strong but now at end of unit 1, I have underperformed in my last few sacs immensely. I don’t gather any interest in the subject and feel like it’s just regurgitating content. From what I’ve heard, it apparently gets more fun in unit 3/4. Is this true? And the reason I’m doing chem is because I’m not certain on what I want to do in the future, but I’m leaning towards the engineering and medicine side which med requires chem. Also, compared to my other subjects, chem is without a doubt my lowest subject (bottom 2).
Should I drop it? Or should I await for a miracle in 3/4?

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: Should I drop chem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 08:48:52 pm »
+4
Hey I thought might give some input, I was struggling with chem last year in 1/2, the content changes and becomes more manageable as you grow academically. Year 11 doesn't count towards your ATAR so just focus on the important stuff(mol, stoich, organic, redox) and the general 'gist' of chemistry. I definitely recommend keeping it and see how you progress, also physics/biology can help in tandem as they are all intertwined subjects.
If you are struggling, I highly recommend Khan Academy as it is a great resource for learning maths and science.
Enjoy your studies!
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 11:04:08 pm »
+4
From memory unit 1 is just the chemical history and basic principals/periodic table/metals etc. So I would agree that it does get more intersting as you get into units 3 and 4.

If you need chemistry for your uni course I think it's obvious that you should continue with that even if it ends up being bottom 2.

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 04:05:27 pm »
+1
Thank you so much guys!

Ironiic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:19:27 pm »
+4
Hiya, just thought I'd add my input!

Tbh, 1/2 chemistry was by far my worst subject last year and I was scraping through the subject with an average of 40%. Fast-foward to this year, it's now one of my best subjects. I think what I recommend is getting ahead with the content earlier on (not the whole of unit 3 before the hols tho) and wrapping your head around difficult concepts before you get to it in class. Generally, the curriculum goes fast so it's good to be ahead. Also, by no means you have to do this, but investing in a really good tutor has saved my life and my grades for chem - so I think don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher, peers or here on AN! Only invest in a tutor if the format of learning really benefits you - for me it did, but no guarantee it will for others.

As for your grades in 1/2, there isn't too much overlap with 3/4 so don't be too worried. Mostly chem just consists of learning the content and formulas involved and doing questions to familiarise yourself with the content. Good luck for the remainder of 1/2 chem :)
2018: Biology [43] Vietnamese (SL) [41]
2019: English [43] Chemistry, Psych, Methods
ATAR: 96.5
2020-2021: [soul searching]
2022-2024: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 09:41:23 pm »
+1
Thank you so so much! That gave a confidence boost! I was going fine with chem, averaging 80-85 for the first 3 chapters but from 4-7, I’ve been behind and got below 50 on the last test. Thanks once again