Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:39:08 am

Author Topic: Favourite Documentaries?  (Read 1672 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Favourite Documentaries?
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:57 pm »
+4
Previously, a lot of users have expressed their fondness for old-school movies/TV shows and Disney films, but any documentary-lovers out there? For some reason, I just love documentaries- not sure if it's the really soothing voice the narrator has (I'd say David Attenborough has the best narrating voice!) or the fact that you're kinda picking up new info even though you're only giving the documentary ~50% of your attention.

Royal fever is slowly fading away now and my Youtube feed is filled with a bunch of Royal stuff but a documentary on the Royal family popped up- literally called 'A Royal Family.' It's a really interesting documentary because there are a bunch of members of the Royal family giving their input on their ancestors, like Prince Frederik of Denmark, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, exiled King Constantine of Greece (funny enough, there are a bunch of them from Denmark, Yugoslavia, Romania, Greece, even the remaining members of the Romanov, but no Queen Elizabeth II or Prince Charles)

Anyway, any documentary fans here?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:02:47 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Re: Favourite Documentaries?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »
+1
So here are the links to some of my favourite documentaries:

A Royal Family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN9ViNXpY7g

The Romanovs: The History of the Russian Dynasty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUA_1WVM8I (binged-watched all 8 episodes because the actors hired look pretty similar to the historical figures; pretty sure this was originally a Russian documentary translated into English)

Dan Snow on Lloyd George: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8lQGquWfs (Another awesome documentary, considering how historian Dan Snow and Margaret MacMillan are related to David Lloyd George- warning: obvious bias here)

2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:46:38 pm »
So here are the links to some of my favourite documentaries:

A Royal Family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN9ViNXpY7g

The Romanovs: The History of the Russian Dynasty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUA_1WVM8I (binged-watched all 8 episodes because the actors hired look pretty similar to the historical figures; pretty sure this was originally a Russian documentary translated into English)

Dan Snow on Lloyd George: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8lQGquWfs (Another awesome documentary, considering how historian Dan Snow and Margaret MacMillan are related to David Lloyd George- warning: obvious bias here)

The Romanovs was really cool! Was meant to go to Russia last year (sadly planned) so binged before I left. Really learned a lot.

Hitler's circle of evil was a really interesting documentary that I watched recently. It sort of looks at all the people around Hitler and the kind of dynamics that were at play during and before the war.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:49:49 pm »
The Romanovs was really cool! Was meant to go to Russia last year (sadly planned) so binged before I left. Really learned a lot.
I chose to do the Romanovs for my History Project last year- the best decision ever! I binged the whole series (which was the best part of the researching process) and my attitude towards him softened... just a tiny bit, considering how he was described to be 'the wrong man at the wrong time.'

Hitler's circle of evil was a really interesting documentary that I watched recently. It sort of looks at all the people around Hitler and the kind of dynamics that were at play during and before the war.
Hmm, will look that up! I smell a potential great source when I get to study WW2 next term :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:30 pm »

Ooooooomg I watched this a few months ago! I thought it was really interesting, especially because I studied Germany for Modern in my HSC. Definitely recommend!

Don't have any recommendations right now unfortunately! Will probably watch more documentaries when semester ends :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

LaraC

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:22:43 pm »
Horror in the Grand Canyon is a good one.....although its so sad!! :'( :'( But I won't ruin the plotline for any curious watchers by explaining the why behind its high sadness rating ;)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:10 pm »
Also, Killing Season about Rudd/Gillard/Rudd is an absolute cracker.

So were the Whitlam Years, which I also really, really enjoyed!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

LaraC

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:09 pm »
Oh and how could I forget: "23 Blast" - amazing story of Travis Freeman's blindness :'(

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 09:33:28 pm »
it might just be because i'm a massive modern history fan but I love Apocalypse: The Second World War, as well as the rest of the Apocalypse series of documentaries about Modern History. The soundtracks by Kenji Kawai(who did the Ip Man film soundtracks) significantly enhance the viewing experience and really encapsulate the variety of emotions in wartime
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05