Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:46 pm

Author Topic: Here's to the best year of my life...?  (Read 10672 times)

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
  • She believed she could, so she did.
  • Respect: +7
Here's to the best year of my life...?
« on: April 10, 2018, 05:14:05 pm »
+6
Hi everyone! and future me.  8)

I have almost finished my half-yearlys and ready to go full speed ahead these holidays. I've got SOR1 tomorrow and I think I've prepared enough to go well. My ATAR goal is: 86. I am hoping to attend Monash University and complete a double degree of engineering and commerce.

Subjects i'm doing:
- Chemistry
- Maths
- Business Studies
- Standard English
- SOR1
- completed HOSPO
- dropped Maths Ext 1.

I also live in a rural area but attend a great private school. There are some disadvantage, but hopefully I find my way to success.
MONASH UNI I'M COMING FOR YOU.

Feel free to ask me any questionss!  ;D

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Here's to the best year of my life...?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:17:57 pm »
+1
Hey, cocopops201!

Welcome to the forums -- looking forward to hearing about your journey throughout the HSC ;D

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:22:04 pm »
+1
Ayyyyyee I'm excited to stay updated on your HSC journey! Welcome to the forums, I'm relatively new as well! I feel the same as you! As soon as these holidays start (tomorrow for me - after my last exam) I'm kicking myself into gear! It's going to be a busy 2 weeks but I'm so ready! How are you planning on completing all your work during the holidays? And how much work do you have to get done? (I have tons omg). Oh and good luck on your SOR exam!
2018 HSC

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:15 pm »
+2
Ayyyyyee I'm excited to stay updated on your HSC journey! Welcome to the forums, I'm relatively new as well! I feel the same as you! As soon as these holidays start (tomorrow for me - after my last exam) I'm kicking myself into gear! It's going to be a busy 2 weeks but I'm so ready! How are you planning on completing all your work during the holidays? And how much work do you have to get done? (I have tons omg). Oh and good luck on your SOR exam!

Hello dcesaona!
Thank you for the welcoming message!  ;D Funnily enough, my business teacher was the one who encouraged the class to go on here and sign up. I've been observing this website for quite some time and I look through all these threads and see how students are quite intelligent with their extensive vocabulary and hobbies that include reading science-base materials and documentaries on the weekend. And honestly, I'm just an ordinary girl, studying almost everyday (still having a social life of course) and trying to enjoy year 12 inconjunction with the 5 minute breakdowns and lil pep talks I have in the mirror before exam week. Sorry for the prolix ahaha.

As for your question, I'm trying to maintain my studies and social life during the holidays. However, prioritising year 12 is number one on my list. My plan for the holidays is to analyse and test suitable study methods that I have gained prior to half-yearlys and testing whether if there's a more suitable and efficient approach in certain subjects. I am also trying to teach myself essay skills for AOS/Modules especially listing trends I have 'discovered' in recent papers and start creating dot points that can be used for any question that will be asked in the  HSC. Since I'm currently doing chem chem, it is a very heavily content subject that, revising POM and TAE core topics by doing past papers and checking the marking guidelines will be effective for me to work on my strengths and weaknesses.
PLUS
Writing study notes on future core topics / syllabus content to get me ahead will give me an idea of what I will be tackling down next term. This is a major HINT for all year 12 students I think. I would also like to attend to trials lectures to extend my knowledge in certain subjects from another perspective rather than myself and my teachers.

MY GENERAL PLAN:
Write down everything I need to go over on:
1. rewrite notes on chem, business, sor
2. practice maths hsc questions
3. improve essay skills and vocabulary (Ironically, reading may turn into a hobbie these holidays, but then again, it can only be driven by boredom ahah)
4. organise my folders, notes, study room, life etc.

And that is it. How about you?? Goodluck on surviving/enjoying year 12 this year!!!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:10:45 pm »
+1
Where is the loveeee ;-;

Funnily enough, my business teacher was the one who encouraged the class to go on here and sign up.
What a wise business teacher - I'm sure you're gonna nail business studies with that kind of teacher  ;D

Speaking of which, I'm also a moderator on the Business Studies forum - so if you need anything, you can let me know or ask on the board!

Again, best of luck with the year to come and I hope you update us on how you're going with the HSC :D

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:16:35 pm »
Hey OP! Just noticed this and wanted to ask what your reasoning is to want to go interstate? Not judging, just really curious.
Don't forget that you'll have to register with VTAC for Monash, not UAC when the time comes. :) 
Looking forward to reading this, despite my irrelevance! 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:48:28 pm »
Where is the loveeee ;-;
What a wise business teacher - I'm sure you're gonna nail business studies with that kind of teacher  ;D

Speaking of which, I'm also a moderator on the Business Studies forum - so if you need anything, you can let me know or ask on the board!

Again, best of luck with the year to come and I hope you update us on how you're going with the HSC :D
Unfortunately, my business teacher is quite slow with progression in class. However person-to-person explanation is quite reasonable but as a collective group, our class doesn't learn much. I really have to try and learn the syllabus myself and ask him questions via email and when fellow students don't get it, I try my best to explain it, which benefits me in the long run. Currently topping it actually... hopefully my rank stays until HSC  :P

So yessss, you may be hearing a lot from over the year!! Thank you for your appreciation of my post and sorry, didn't mean to ghost you like that ahaha.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:54:01 pm »
+1
Hi...
Looking forward to hearing some more updates from you.  :D
- completed HOSPO

Just curious, did you complete hospitality compressed (in one year)?? If so, how did you find it, compared to your other two-year subjects?  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:02:36 pm »
Hey OP! Just noticed this and wanted to ask what your reasoning is to want to go interstate? Not judging, just really curious.
Don't forget that you'll have to register with VTAC for Monash, not UAC when the time comes. :) 
Looking forward to reading this, despite my irrelevance!

Well honestly, this may sound such a silly reason... But around early last year, I found their account on the explore page of instagram and instantly fell in love with their clatyon campus. I also noticed that they focused on relevant and recent environmental and sociocultural issues, raising awareness and making a movement and whatnot in their campus' and surrounding organisations that they are in partners with. It's quite a big dream for me to go there, considering I live in a very small town in NSW of only 1500 as the population. However, I'm quite lucky to have supportive parents and we travel quite a lot, meeting insightful individuals around the world. For instance, when we visited Hong Kong, my dad began talking to this american man who was a practicing nanoengineer and another american man who was involved in oil production/refineries. But that's not really the case for me. Monash Uni offers a lot of similar amazing deals/scholarships that unsw and unisyd offers, however, their movement i.e '#changeit' is something I would love to partake in, if I'm lucky enough to achieve my atar and attend such an amazing university.

I have a question, rural students earn 5 extra bonus points. Will my extra 5 bonus points accepted/included through VTAC as I live interstate?

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 07:10:58 pm »
+1
Hi...
Looking forward to hearing some more updates from you.  :D
Just curious, did you complete hospitality compressed (in one year)?? If so, how did you find it, compared to your other two-year subjects?  :)
I completed hospitality last year, as I started it in year 10. And from this, I have definitely gained a wakeup call to what HSC is like. I remember during the september holidays I did not do any preparation whatsoever as I didn't really process the fact HSC was coming my way. Then when I did, I had only 3/4 weeks to prep for my hsc hospo exam AND my other exams (I was still doing ext 1 at this point) and I never worked consistently and moderately in my life (until now) and LUCKILY I got 81. ALSO considering, I had misread a question and totally knew I failed as soon as I walked out of the class. So this very regrettable experience turned into a learning curve for what I need and should do for this HSC year.

Which I need to do some SOR preparation now. I will answer any further questions tomorrow!!   :D :D

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:59 pm »
I have a question, rural students earn 5 extra bonus points. Will my extra 5 bonus points accepted/included through VTAC as I live interstate?
Nice to know it's the campus and movements/ values that makes you want to go there. The campus is pretty darn nice and the movements are nice to track sometimes. There are some things you notice, even if you're not involved.   

I won't be able to give you full 100% guaranteed advice, but you could certainly ask on the Ask Monash University page and contact the uni themselves for help. My guess is that if you're in an approved school, you'll be potentially eligible for the Monash Guarantee. Might also want to look into residential colleges, if you're super keen. There are lots of Monashians on AN as well and there are a few who went on to do Eng/Comm at Monash e.g. Alwin. (Not so sure if they're active much as they're an older user.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:38:03 pm »
Ask Monash University page and contact the uni themselves for help. My guess is that if you're in an approved school, you'll be potentially eligible for the Monash Guarantee. Might also want to look into residential colleges, if you're super keen. There are lots of Monashians on AN as well and there are a few who went on to do Eng/Comm at Monash e.g. Alwin. (Not so sure if they're active much as they're an older user.)

Omg thank you so much!!!!

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 09:40:09 pm »
Hello future A.

I have lost all motivation to do any religion study, but since our teacher is expecting a LOT from us... I must do it for her and for you!
But god help me. P.s if you have forgotten, A'isha Bint Abu Bakr was a badass.

Much love, A.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 11:24:03 pm »
+1
Hey,
Welcome to AN!  :D
I also did Hospo last year and found the exam harder then I expected (I didn't remember the coffee plunger question at all). Did you complete your cert 2 in Hospitality?
Keen to read your future updates!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 07:51:26 am »
+1
Hey,
Welcome to AN!  :D
I also did Hospo last year and found the exam harder then I expected (I didn't remember the coffee plunger question at all). Did you complete your cert 2 in Hospitality?
Keen to read your future updates!! :)
Good morning!!
I think the fact we were getting food whilst taking the exam was the only thing I was looking forward to ahaha.
And I sure did! :)