Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:25 am

Author Topic: HSC Journal- No Idea How This Is Going to Go...  (Read 20767 times)

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
Re: HSC Journal- No Idea How This Is Going to Go...
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 11:30:41 am »
Hi,

Well, now I have slightly gotten over my recent failures  in both Eco and Legal. I am trying really hard not to let it get to me and to improve my performance in the next following assessments. I just had an Extension 1 English speaking task today, and I think I did well. I had to answer some questions about the module, and I tried to give as much info at the top of my head as possible. I guess whatever I said made sense to them as the teachers marking smiled, so I'm gonna take that as a good sign.

I have Maths Extension 1 tomorrow and then Bio the day after, which I feel really underprepared for. I am just going to give it my all, and manage my time really well. I do NOT want another repeat of Legal and Eco.
Speaking of Legal and Eco, I want to drop down to 10 units because I don't think I can handle studying for both humanities. Please give me some advice.

Pros of keeping Legal
* Have some support from my teachers and friends

Cons of keeping legal:
* Marks are not good despite studying so hard (literally at the bottom)
* Losing interest in the subject slowly, due to demotivation and continuous bad marks
* Don't want to study law at university anymore, so keeping it doesn't really positively impact my future at uni
* Huge time sucker. If I didnt have legal, I could have studied more for eco and done better.
* So much effort in writing essays,and remembering everything. I am struggling with that

Pros of keeping economics:
* It is directly related to what I want to study at university (commerce course at uni)
* Scales better. If I want to achieve my goal of 98 ATAR, I only have to get a 90 in Eco as compared to a 94 in Legal. Easier and less stress.
* I can get additonal support through tutoring i guess (which i am looking towards)
* Supportive teachers

Cons of keeping economics:
* Finding it very difficult, because the concepts are complicated
* Slow at picking up concepts in eco
* Don't really know how to write essays well
* No matter how much I study, the information doesn't stick into my brain

So I dont know what to do. help me decide plz. It has to be one or the other, so i can meet the minimum requirement of 10 units

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 01:56:39 pm »
+3
ONE LAST EXAM LEFT!!!!!!! THIS IS THE LAST DAY I HAVE TO STUDY FOR HALF YEARLYS. SO PUMPED TO GIVE IT MY ALL AND THEN CHILL OUT FOR THE REST OF THE TWO WEEK BREAK!

Gotta go cram the entire term worth of content into my head. Wish me luck for Bio!!!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 02:13:57 pm »
ONE LAST EXAM LEFT!!!!!!! THIS IS THE LAST DAY I HAVE TO STUDY FOR HALF YEARLYS. SO PUMPED TO GIVE IT MY ALL AND THEN CHILL OUT FOR THE REST OF THE TWO WEEK BREAK!

Gotta go cram the entire term worth of content into my head. Wish me luck for Bio!!!

Simply wishing you good luck for Bio haha. Hope you smash it! 🔬

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 05:34:34 pm »
Omg I love reading these. It reminds me that I'm not the only one stressing my way through the HSC. I love reading your entries!
2018 HSC

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 09:22:53 pm »
+2
Hey guys

Sorry I haven't been on in so long. I've been going through a lot of personal shit right now, particularly after Bio, my last exam. Confused? What happened to that bubbly girl who posted a few days ago about being pumped for studying for bio, her last exam? Let me fill you in.

On the day before the biology exam, I had a negative reaction to some anti-biotics I took that my family doctor prescribed for me for my coughing. It basically resulted in me being in so much pain, that I could barely concentrate. Imagine trying to study when your stomach is cramping for several hours. My mouth was getting dry and my head was spinning. I was lying in bed for hours before eventually throwing up. My stress and my poor health for the past two weeks have put such a strain on my body and my mind that it simply made me threw up.

I was still feeling terrible, but slightly relieved, so I simply tried to study as much as I could. It was horrible. I crammed until 11:30 pm (too late I know), and then woke up early to study some more. I went and did the biology exam, and I found my body so weak. I still did the exam because at that point, the stress over my body was too much and I simply didn't want to prolong it by studying more. I was so tired and broken.

Whilst the exam was on, I saw the questions. Luckily I studied for them, but because of poor health and lack of proper sleep, I simply couldn't recall how to answer them. I got a panic attack in the midst of the exam, and found the details of the info I crammed leaking out of my head. I simply could not get the words out. I left a lot of questions blank, and my mind was fuzzy. Worse I was still feeling super dizzy and sick from the day before.

After the exam was over, I was relieved that I didn't have to study any more, but I simply cried because negative circumstances affected me so much. Had I not gotten sick, I could have done better.

So basically, my plan is to get some distance from those exams, and wait till my results come. I already know I severely flunked Bio, Legal and Eco, but for Bio, I am going to speak to my deputy and tell her my circumstances and see what she can do. I am goign to see if I can somehow retake the test with a fresher mind.

Even though I succeeded in getting through half yearlies, I still feel like a huge failure, even though I did my best and it wasn't technically my fault for getting so sick. I think I need to stop beating myself up for it.

Need some advice at this point.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:31:58 pm by StudyBuddyKJ »

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:11 pm »
Feeling so scared that I am not going to do well  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Someone validate me and give me motivation! Tell me I am going to succeed even if you don't know me well or if you don't believe it

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:20 pm »
+1
Feeling so scared that I am not going to do well  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Someone validate me and give me motivation! Tell me I am going to succeed even if you don't know me well or if you don't believe it

It's okay, I am sure you didn't do as bad as you think! If you just believe in yourself, you will always do the best you can.

I'll give you an example. I did my half yearly for economics about 2 weeks ago and I literally walked out knowing that the exam was so hard and I definitely didn't think that it was my best work. Fast forward to one week later and I got the results back. I got 75/80, coming first in the exam with even a 20/20 in my essay. Not only did I literally almost fall out of my chair due to shock, I literally asked my teacher if I had the right paper.

I double checked it and it was definitely mine. Leading up to that economics half yearly I know I didn't do as good as I wanted in the first assessment task so I worked my ass off, and in the end it payed off.

So as long as you know you put everything into your preparation for the exam and it was absolutely your best, I am sure it will all pay off in the end!

Hopefully you feel better soon!  :)
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:33 pm »
Hey girl, here's a long and love-ridden entry to make you feel better! <3

First of all, I'm so, so sorry that this happened. It must have been terrible for you (as evidenced by the description you have given)
Second of all, well done making it through your half-yearlies! This is a great achievement, and even if you don't feel like it now, you'll be okay. One foot in front of the other. That's your mantra for the next couple of days, alright?

A lot of unexpected things can happen in our lives that can really throw us off. Sometimes, we're in a position where we are kind of balanced on the razor's edge - it only takes a little nudge for us to slip. For you, right now, that edge was the high level of stress and your reaction to the antibiotics. You could not have done anything to help what happened, so I just want to tell you, don't blame yourself. You did the best you could, and that is all that matters. It's okay for you to not have done well on one exam (or all of them, for that matter); no-one but yourself is giving you negative feedback, and the best thing is that you can pick your marks up later. The best thing for you to do right now is give yourself some time and space to think and breathe. Know that you're not a failure for something you could not have helped.
Do you play or listen to music, draw, have a favourite book or food? Just treat yourself to something you find soothing for a bit. It'll ease your disappointment and take your mind off what happened in the exam. Don't feel guilty for giving yourself a bit of TLC; from what I've read, you need the recovery time.

One more thing: know that your marks aren't everything. ATARs are temporary. So if you're afraid you've messed up really badly, just breathe it out and put it behind you. The past is in the past, and you can't change that. Now you need to look forward and love yourself, and do better next time. Like emilygeorge said, you can always pick yourself back up if you try. And you can do it!

And yes, talk to your deputy. Hopefully, you can resit the test. Get a doctor's certificate.

We here at AN are with you all the way. You'll be okay. Now enjoy your holidays, because you deserve the break. :)

Sincerely,
~poet xx
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:42 pm »
+1
Hey, it's going to be fine :-) I was in a similar situation during my HSC last year - I got super sick after English Paper 1 and really struggled to get through the week. What matters to me now is I got through that awful first week of the HSC, and the marks I got there have led me to my dream course which I'm studying right now. :-) Props to you for getting through the pain while studying and doing the exam - you've definitely worked really hard for these exams, and the marks will show your effort at the end!

Make sure you take a break these holidays - chill out at least for the first week. Watch a bit of Netflix, go out with friends because you deserve this break. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:35 pm »
+4
Hi guys,

Thank you to all the people who gave responses to my dilemma. They were so kind and deeply empathetic, I felt very relieved and deeply comforted. It has been a week since half yearlies were over, and I took your advice. I went on holidays with my family interstate for a week, and made sure I enjoyed myself as much as possible. I didn't touch a single book and I forced myself not to think about marks, or results, or what it will do to my dreaded ATAR. And it really helped. I am now back in Sydney after the holiday, and my mind feels fresh and not as tense as I was before.

Bouncing back up from failure, particularly academically, has always been a struggle for me. I am usually not as comfortable in revealing my struggles, and usually reserve that to telling my teachers, closest friends and family. The main reason why I am able to communicate this so freely is because no one on this site knows my real name lol. Academics has always given me a lot of stress, because I am a very anxious person. Anxiety is something that affects my life a lot. Because of anxiety, I find myself in constant fear about my life, whether I am doing things the right way, whether I am good or capable enough, and whether I am successful or not. I often compare myself and my life to others and wonder why I am always lacking. I always feel like everyone else has their lives together and are infinitely more capable than I am. I find myself ruminating on my failures a lot, because they make me feel so horrible inside, like I have something wrong inside of me. Really melodramatic I know. But can't seem to help but not feel this way.

All negativity aside, I'll share with you all the awesome stuff I have been doing that is not school related. I went sky diving. I volunteered at an artistic event. I went to Gold Coast on holiday with my family, where I spent 5 glorious days waking up slightly later than normal, eating heaps of delicious food, doing all the scariest rides at Sea World, Movieworld, Dreamworld and White Water World, watching My Kitchen Rules and really spending quality time with my family.  What is funny is that if you tell me to jump off a plane 15000 feet in the air instead of doing a HSC exam, I would happily do it. Really weird i know.

Since I got back late last night, I am in a slump right now, feeling a bit let down that my amazing holiday is over and I have to get ready in time for school and deal with the repercussions of half yearlies. I am taking it one day at a time. It is currently 2:15 pm and all I have done is wake up and eat. I really need to pick myself up, and shoulder on, as best as I can. I need to look forward into the future and enjoy the present and do as much as I physically can.

Doing this one day at a time, with as much positivity and good vibes as I can muster.

Regards,
StudyBuddyKJ

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 09:01:57 pm »
+1
Well I tried to start doing some productive study today, and that didn't work out too well. :'( :'( :'( :'(

I didn't get enough work done today. I'm kicking myself for letting that happen. there are many reasons as to why that is though. I was very distracted during my study, I didn't have an effective plan and more importantly I had no idea where to begin. My study game has been so off since I have been on holidays. Not to worry though, I'm going to work insanely hard tomorrow and get heaps of HSC studying done!

Here is my timetable for tomorrow.

7:00 am- Wake up
7:15 am to 7:45 am- Morning run
7:45 am to 8:15 am- Shower and brekkie
8:15 am to 9:00 am- Should be enough time to get all my supplies together and get organised
9:00 am to 10:00 am- Revision of legal content from Terms 4 and Term 1. WIll be doing that by continuing on in making notes that were left unfinished, and memorising content from the syllabus. (1)
10:00 am to 10:15 am- Break
10:15 am to 12:15 pm- Maths. Work on exercises from Chapter 14. FInish at least two exercises (2)
12:15 pm to 12:45 pm- Break (slightly longer because 2 hours is very intense work)
12:45 to 1:45 pm- Read ahead in prescribed English Texts (either WHy Werent we Told or The Spy Who Came in From the Cold". Write some analysis (1)
1:45 pm to 2:30 pm- Lunch Break
2:30 pm to 3:30 pm- Work on relearning and consolidating knowledge for Bio, seeing as I didn't get the chance to learn it well due to illness. Will be doing that by memorising info by heart and doing sample responses. I will post them on ATAR notes for them to be marked. (1)
3:30 pm to 3:45 pm- Break
3:45 pm to 5:00 pm- Eco. Need to memorise and relearn content that I didn't really understand.  (1 hr 15 minutes)
5:00 pm to 7:30 pm- fun Stuff (extracurricular activities, time to pursue hobbies and passions)
7:30 pm to 10:00 pm- Chill I guess. I would study more, but I find that I dont study well at night. I am not as efficient so no point.
10:00-10:30 pm- SLEEP

I will try to stick to this timetable as religiously as possible. Following this timetable will mean I will be able to get 6 hours and 15 minutes worth of quality studying done. That should be a good effort. Anyway, now that you know what I intend to do on Wed to make up for my laziness today, comment below and let me know, does it sound realistic? Am I working too hard or not long enough? SHould I take shorter or longer breaks? I will see how I go and let you know how I fare.

The hustle doesn't stop! I need to really make up for Term 4 and Term 1 and really take my HSC performance to the next level!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Come on guys, we got this!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 09:53:14 pm »
So good to see you're super motivated to study! I didn't have a lot of that last year hahaha.

The plan is pretty solid, but if you don't end up doing all the stuff you wanted, don't be disappointed in yourself, because:
1. it's the holidays
2. you have more time to do revision :-)

HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 05:09:03 pm »
+1
Heya, just thought I should give an update on my timetable.

I woke up later than normal because I was unable to sleep well throughout the night. Missed my morning run, but still started my work at 9 on the dot. Was pretty on track. DId an hour of legal where I updated my notes. 2 hours of maths where I did questions from the textbook. I didn't end up finishing two exercises because the one I was doing was so long. I read my English text afterwards where I finished 1/4 of the book. Had lunch, felt lazy, so I just ended up trying to catch up on writing eco notes. I am behind a whole topic in my notes so I need to catch up. I am also very behind in my notes for Legal. Damn I have so much to do.

ARGGGHHH, trying not to get stressed. But on a positive note, I was a lot more productive than I was yesterday. Tomorrow, I am going to hang out with my friend, and then come back and do some more work to make up for it. I think I should be doing more past papers, but the thing is, I don't know the content well enough, so I think it is too early to do them.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 11:39:33 am »
But on a positive note, I was a lot more productive than I was yesterday

It's all about the little wins. 👌👌👌

Remember that productivity isn't linear, though - you'll naturally have ups and downs!

Keep up the great work. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 05:55:17 pm »
It's all about the little wins. 👌👌👌

Remember that productivity isn't linear, though - you'll naturally have ups and downs!

Keep up the great work. :)

Thank you :)