Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:29:58 pm

Author Topic: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC  (Read 51924 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »
+5
Hey guys,
Another update from me on my exam week. Nothing too bad happened today because I just showed up to school for about 1 hour 30 minutes just to do my SAC speech, which was basically about my PIP. It wasn't that bad because I brought the whole transcript up there with me but I just put in on the desk just for reference- I never looked at it lol. Kinda scared that I didn't talk for 10 minutes because when I finished my speech (there was a timer next to the Powerpoint on the laptop) it said 8 minutes something. But then when I walked past my teacher after the presentations, she said I talked overtime lol. She wasn't strict on the timing though so I don't think I'd get marked down for that.

Anyway, I went back home for the rest of the day, hoping to do some studying but I was too tired to do anything. I hate myself for sleeping for the whole afternoon lol. And now I've been procrastinating whoops. I mean, I have a day off tomorrow because I have no exams but I do have tutoring tomorrow and Saturday because next week is all my math-y subjects (with the exception of History Extension).

Welp, look out for some ranting next week because math exams are notorious for typos!

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2018, 11:39:17 pm »
+2
Welp, look out for some ranting next week because math exams are notorious for typos!

Best of luck!! Glad the speech went well, fingers crossed for a strong finish ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2018, 11:45:09 pm »
Best of luck!! Glad the speech went well, fingers crossed for a strong finish ;D
More concerned over the fact that Extension Math is my last exam- by that time, I'd be too exhausted to do anything ;-;
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2018, 05:28:13 pm »
+5
Hey guys,
So my 2U exam was today kahfkhkehkwhF. I mean, I had like 30 minutes left over but there were questions I had no idea what to do. I know I stuffed up my answers for geometric applications of calculus and my geometric proofs are probably all over the place. I was supposed to go back and have another go at the questions where I had no clue what to do since I circled them but I had to go to the bathroom towards the end of the exam and I couldn't concentrate. And I went to the bathroom before the exam! I just kept flicking through my exam paper over and over again to try and keep my mind off my bladder alfowehfoho. Oh yeah, of course I would break down after my exam. My math coordinator had to sit me down and give a long pep talk about life lol. To be honest, this isn't my first time breaking down after my exams- pretty sure it started in Year 10 and it got worse and worse when Year 11 hit. And now I'm in Year 12.

My mum was able to pick me up from school but then I spent the afternoon procrastinating when I really should be studying for physics. I was hoping for my past paper to finish printing by the time I finished watching a Youtube video but then my list of 'to-watch' videos spiralled and I passed out. I mean, I woke up to pick up my past paper but it turned out my printer was jammed :/ I swear, my study habits are all over the place during exam block.

Anyways, I really need to study for physics.

See you soon!

- Olivia

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »

My mum was able to pick me up from school but then I spent the afternoon procrastinating when I really should be studying for physics. I was hoping for my past paper to finish printing by the time I finished watching a Youtube video but then my list of 'to-watch' videos spiralled and I passed out. I mean, I woke up to pick up my past paper but it turned out my printer was jammed :/ I swear, my study habits are all over the place during exam block.

Oh my gosh. SAME. My dad picked me up after my 2U math exam and then I spent the afternoon procrastinating. Study habits go out the window for me too especially when it's close to the end of exams and I'm just SO sick of studying.

Good luck for physics!
2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2018, 07:23:59 pm »
+6
Hey guys,
ahahkhdkhwfkhewkfhkfhq I failed physics. I blanked out during the exam ;-; I was only able to vaguely answer the questions- like, I had the basic idea there but linking it to the question that's when I basically died. I had to hold myself from crying because my math coordinator told me off yesterday to stop being weak (which is a very Asian thing to say lol). And then I broke down in tutoring. I really don't want to lose my rank in physics. I basically spent prelims trying to do well in physics but I ended up just barely passing, and I thought I finally understood it after doing better in my first HSC task but at this rate I'm gonna end up going downhill again. Also because of my inner pettiness of the guy who came first in physics last year has one of the biggest egos so if I were to come first in physics, it's more like a wake up call for him to stop looking down at other people and maybe stop having this unhealthy obsession in isolating yourself.

I really should study for History Extension but I have no clue how to study for it apart from memorising a bunch of quotes that may be relevant to tomorrow's question. I mean, I gave my teacher a practice essay and he said that I'm improving but I'm more concerned with how I'm gonna approach the source tomorrow or plan it. And the fact that I vaguely understand post-structuralism/linguistic turn.

Anyways, I'll get back to studying.

See you soon!

- Olivia
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:55:23 pm by owidjaja »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2018, 07:45:17 pm »
+4
I had to hold myself from crying because my math coordinator told me off yesterday to stop being weak (which is a very Asian thing to say lol). And then I broke down in tutoring. I really don't want to lost my rank in physics. I basically spent prelims trying to do well in physics but I ended up just barely passing, and I thought I finally understood it after doing better in my first HSC task but at this rate I'm gonna end up going downhill again. Also because of my inner pettiness of the guy who came first in physics last year has one of the biggest egos so if I were to come first in physics, it's more like a wake up call for him to stop looking down at other people and maybe stop having this unhealthy obsession in isolating yourself.

This sums up in a paragraph a few of the biggest problems with HSC culture at the moment. This sounds like such a toxic environment to be in Olivia, and the two groups that should be offering solace (your teachers and your peers) instead just seem to be exacerbating the issue.

Insert the usual yarn about half yearlies here. The results don't matter, they don't in any way detract from your potential or success, and there is no reason to let them impact on your social and mental wellbeing. You know you work hard, so you have no reason to be self deprecating at all! :)

You know how I measure worth? A positive impact on the world, and a look through your posts on this site alone will tell you what you're worth. Far, far more than a stupid rank in a class ever could :)

Take a breath. You've stumbled, that doesn't mean you are out of the race - Not sure if you are squeezing the Commonwealth Games into your study atm (;)), but the Gold is usually won by someone who wasn't leading at the start. If Yohan Blake can be beaten in the 100m sprint, then you can beat the petty person in 1st place in Physics ;)

Good luck for Extension!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2018, 08:06:39 pm »
This sums up in a paragraph a few of the biggest problems with HSC culture at the moment. This sounds like such a toxic environment to be in Olivia, and the two groups that should be offering solace (your teachers and your peers) instead just seem to be exacerbating the issue.
To be honest, my school is just toxic in general. My friends and I have to deal with people who look down on us and the teachers (coughcoughmathdepartmentcoughcough) don't make it any better because they just blame it on us if we don't do well. Sure, sometimes it's our fault but as teachers, you are the ones guiding us so if we don't do well, take part of the blame in not being able to lead us as well as you could (you meaning the teachers).

And it's even worse right now because my friends and I just found out these group of guys like to rate a bunch of girls based on appearance, and they target our group because they 'like smart girls and they're generally Asian.' My friends and I are so annoyed because they're essentially objectifying us based on our looks but we can't do anything because it's a 'he-said-she-said' situation and we don't have any proof. And things just got even worse when I was doing a past paper for last minute cramming yesterday morning, a guy literally came up to me and said one of my answers were wrong but when I checked the answer, ALL MY ANSWERS WERE CORRECT. He's the same guy who told my friend that he thinks she shouldn't be in the 3U math class. Although we know it's just him being salty that he's not in the 3U class, it's ruining our almost non-existent self-esteem by looking down at us.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2018, 09:38:35 pm »
+3
To be honest, my school is just toxic in general. My friends and I have to deal with people who look down on us and the teachers (coughcoughmathdepartmentcoughcough) don't make it any better because they just blame it on us if we don't do well. Sure, sometimes it's our fault but as teachers, you are the ones guiding us so if we don't do well, take part of the blame in not being able to lead us as well as you could (you meaning the teachers).

And it's even worse right now because my friends and I just found out these group of guys like to rate a bunch of girls based on appearance, and they target our group because they 'like smart girls and they're generally Asian.' My friends and I are so annoyed because they're essentially objectifying us based on our looks but we can't do anything because it's a 'he-said-she-said' situation and we don't have any proof. And things just got even worse when I was doing a past paper for last minute cramming yesterday morning, a guy literally came up to me and said one of my answers were wrong but when I checked the answer, ALL MY ANSWERS WERE CORRECT. He's the same guy who told my friend that he thinks she shouldn't be in the 3U math class. Although we know it's just him being salty that he's not in the 3U class, it's ruining our almost non-existent self-esteem by looking down at us.

That's dodgy beyond belief. Make sure you are escalating things to the right people and that you are going past that person to the next one up if they don't give you a satisfactory response. Have to deal with these situations seriously!!

Your school sounds insanely toxic - What a rotten environment to be in!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:52 pm »
+7
Hey guys,
One more exam left! I had History Extension today, and I basically spent the two hours before the exam just wandering around the school and casually crashing my Modern teacher's Year 11 class because I literally had no clue what to do before the exam. I was gonna do a timed essay but I was too tired to do that (plus Susie told me go to sleep lol). I ended up memorising most of my quotes that are potentially useful for my essay and go through my previous essays to go through the feedback- essentially, I spent the whole term just spamming my Modern sub teacher with History Extension essays since he's capable of teaching History Extension. I'm actually kinda sad I can't spam him anymore essays because he'll be gone next term ;-; Even though he wasn't the best in Modern since he couldn't really control the class, he was really good at going through the structure of my essay and how to improve, even though I asked him like ten times to explain post-modernism/post-structuralism/linguistic turn.

Anyway, going back to my History Extension exam, I spent the remaining hour doing last-minute memorising of my quotes (even though I vaguely remembered my Margaret MacMillan quotes). But then during my reading time, I found out that the source was an extract from Margaret MacMillan's Uses and Abuses of History, which happened to be the source of my quotes! On top of that, the question was on the changing perspectives on the purpose of history, and my most recent practice essay was on the search for truth being the purpose for history. My structure was basically the same, except instead of just talking about post-structuralism, I talked about post-modernism as a whole since my knowledge on post-structuralism is a bit shaky and I'm much more comfortable talking about post-modernism (my teacher took note of that when he marked my most recent essay). I'm a bit unsure whether my post-modernism paragraph made sense and am a bit concerned whether my paragraph on the politicisation of history was forced but I tried to make sure the source was driving my arguments. I'm also hoping my arguments are unique enough and stand out.

Anyway, I really need to start studying for my 3U exam which is tomorrow ;-;

See you soon!

- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2018, 06:53:23 pm »
+6
Hey guys,
Soooooo I failed 3U math. My friend and I were trying to do some questions before the exam and then we ended up confusing ourselves when we did a parametrics question. And we also gave up on a trigonometry general solutions question. I took us a good ten minutes to understand what the solutions were doing since we were talking to our physics teacher. And then when we sat for the exam, I knew I was screwed as soon as reading time started. There were a lot of questions where I've seen them but I had no clue how to do it. I left a lot of questions blank because I didn't even know what to do. All I did was put a somewhat relevant equation as part of my working out and then left it. Don't get me started on the typos in the exam. I started crying in the middle of the exam because one of the polynomial questions didn't even make sense even though I tried to work it out. And then it turns out it was a typo. And the parametrics question didn't even make sense because they somehow threw in an O and they didn't even explain where the O came from. The only pronumeral they mentioned (apart from p and q) was F for the focus.

After the exam, my math coordinator called me up and then my friend and I broke down. I get annoyed when teachers say "Oh just do your best" or "You can work harder next time." What if this is the most amount of effort I'm putting in? Math takes up the most amount of time I neglected my other subjects a few weeks ago so I can finish my math homework (my math teacher expected us to finish a chapter by the weekend). Math has become the reason why I sleep at 1am- the homework takes so much time because my math teacher wants us to do every single question and I write out my question as well.

Anyway, I should go and eat now (haven't had dinner)- I just realised I lost weight during exam block because I purposely eat less so I could spend more time studying.

See you soon!

- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2018, 02:44:12 pm »
+8
Hey guys,
Random update here even though it's holidays. To be honest, I haven't done much work- I've been spamming Joseph41 with a bunch of articles. Big props to him for reading four or five of my articles in a span of a week. I missed writing so much after my exams, I laid in bed for a few hours and then got back to writing. It's become a form of escapism- a lot of my teachers have told me to find a way to 'wind down' before I sleep but I usually dismiss that because I don't really have time for that. Now that I can spend time writing, it's become a way for me to destress. It also helped me get a position as a writer and researcher for an NGO that I'm volunteering for- really excited to start writing for them.

Anyway, not sure if I mentioned previously that I was gonna do some volunteering over the holidays but I did my first volunteering shift last night. Boy was it useless. I signed up to volunteer as general assistance for National Youth Week in Bankstown but they literally said to me "Oh, just hang around here and we'll call you." My friend and I just sat there and talked because we had nothing to do. It wasn't even us- there are groups of other volunteers who weren't doing anything. I feel like they overstaffed because there were a lot of volunteers who didn't do anything. My friend and I did one job, which was to deliver food to the fairy floss guy lol. We got our certificate and free food but it was kinda pointless.

I will be volunteering next Wednesday on Anzac Day at Hyde Park for Red Cross though, so I'm looking forward to that.

See you soon!

- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »
+5
Hey guys,
Another random update here. So I just got an email from ANU about my scholarship application and turns out I didn't get to pass through to Stage 2. Not entirely how I should feel- on one hand, I'm a bit disappointed because if I were able to get the scholarship, I've secured a place and I just need to worry about my ATAR. On the other hand, ANU wasn't my first choice. To be honest, I'm still tossing up between USyd and UNSW. I know everyone wants to go there but these are the only two universities that offer aerospace engineering. I guess I need to focus all my efforts on making sure my Co-op application looks impressive. Or I need to do two more engineering-based activities hosted by USyd to be able to secure a Propel Mobility Scholarship.

Anyway, I've been doing a little bit of Major Work stuff, particularly History Extension. I feel kinda behind considering how I spent all of Term 1 researching, taking notes and interviewing historians. I'm not entirely sure where I should be up to but I'm glad that I have a vague essay plan at the moment. At this point, I've kinda developed a judgement on my topic, but I still need to flesh out my paragraphs.

As for Society & Culture, I haven't touched it since pre-exams. I told myself I should do a plan for Chapter 3 but I keep procrastinating. By procrastinating, I mean writing articles lol. I missed writing so much during exam block I jumped back into writing after a few hours of lamenting over my 3U math exam lmao.

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

EDIT: Looks like ANU isn't the only institution rejecting me. CSIRO rejected my work experience application as well. Rip ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:44:13 pm by owidjaja »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2018, 09:44:01 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
Volunteering update here. I volunteered for Red Cross at Hyde Park today just to serve some tea and coffee for Anzac veterans. To be honest, I always dread volunteering the morning of every volunteering session because I get anxious as to what role I'm supposed to do, or how do I smalltalk etc. It was even worse because my friend was too late to sign up for this so I'd be alone and I'd have to talk to new people. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Most of the people there were in uni- probably because there are some Red Cross uni clubs or something. I actually met a lot of people that did computer science/IT- one of the guys was doing a master's in IT.

When we replaced the previous serving team, I wasn't even able to put on my gloves and one of the veterans asked for white tea. I hate tea and two of the other girls had no clue what type of tea this was. Luckily, the girl next to us told us the types of tea. Funny enough, she mentioned that her family is British- trust the British on their tea lol. Serving was actually fun and I was able to naturally communicate with other people, say if they had the milk or the kettle of black coffee. We were able to have a 15-20 minute break but I got so caught up with serving I had no clue what to do.

I kinda wished I went around to talk to the veterans (considering I'm a big Modern fan) but then it would end up turning into oral history from me spamming them with questions. And then my next thought would be, what if my constant questioning would trigger memories? When I'm bored, I watch Elders React and I was watching them react to Battlefield 1 (most of the female elders said it was too violent and glorified war but isn't war filled with violence??) and there are a lot of people in the comments being like "Hmm they must be trigged from dem 'nam memories" which made me wonder how triggered would war veterans get from my questioning?

Anyway, I had no clue how to smalltalk with veterans so I just stood around and went back to serving. Even when one of the veterans who was wheeled in by (I'm assuming) his grandkids was telling us about his usual sugar, milk, tea ratio and his voice was so soft that I had to lean over and I still couldn't hear him! I had to smile and nod and when he laughed, I had to laugh along even though I had no clue what he said. There was another person who showed up and wanted to tell us her family story and how her great-aunt served as a nurse under the Red Cross and wore a bright red hat for that. Luckily, the girl next to me knew how to small talk while I was like "Oh wow..." I feel like when I typed it here, it sounds sarcastic but I was trying to be show interest by responding but I had no clue what to say. My other smalltalk situation happened during a break when I was standing around with a few girls and there was a veteran in a wheelchair (his family was probably getting a drink or something) and he was like "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" or something along those lines. I mean, I agreed with him that it was a nice day and then he went on about the weather or something (again, I couldn't hear him!) and then his family came to wheel him away. I'm kinda glad we ended our smalltalk with a 'have a good day' but I had no clue how to continue a conversation.

Even though I was anxious about socialising, it was really fun. Volunteering for old people is so validating because they show a lot more appreciation to these kind of services. There were so many people who said "Thank you so much for your time" or "Your tea is amazing" or "You're doing a wonderful job ladies" (most of us were girls lol) and it felt great that they were appreciative over this. Even the large horde of Indians (I'm assuming Sikh because of their turban), they were the ones who caused a lot more stress amongst the serving team because there were like 20 of them in one go (and a girl knocked over coffee on my hands so I had to run it under cold water for a while)- they were really appreciative of our services. After the drank their coffee or tea, they came back to us and thanked us. Even though it was stressful and I had hot water spilt on my fingers, it was funny seeing them ask for really strong tea. We would give them tea with one tea bag and when we gave them their cup, they would take another tea bag- I've never seen someone take two tea bags.

But no- my day didn't end there. I also attended a focus group hosted by Red Cross because they're trying to encourage more young people to volunteer. I didn't eat lunch until 4pm because they promised free pizza. I swear the Red Cross office is so pretty- the ground floor had marble along the floor and walls, and the kitchen/living room was so pretty. They had a green colour scheme- green walls, green carpet, muted green furniture and green/white bar stools. Even the kitchen is pretty! They had four fridges and a vending machine. And omg their toilets are amazing! There weren't light switches because it's motion detected and there's a shower- a SHOWER. It's like they want the Red Cross staff to stay in the office. I wouldn't blame them because the facilities are really nice. And those lights I mentioned in the bathroom, supposedly it's the same with the living room/kitchen!

I was pretty exhausted by the end of the day. I was out from 9am to 5pm and didn't get home until 5.45pm. I wanted to do a bit of my SAC PIP but I'm too tired to do anything so I think I'll be doing some light reading for History Extension.

See you soon!
- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2018, 08:33:35 pm »
+4
Hey guys,
So school's back. Except I just saw the timetable for my trial exams and I wanna cry ;-; So I have 2U math and Modern on the same day askfjhsfeh. And then I have physics and Society & Culture are also clashing during the same time :/ I'm not entirely sure how this is gonna work. I would assume I'm gonna have to do Society & Culture first and then physics in the afternoon since physics is a 3 hour exam and Business Studies (which is also a 3 hour exam) is after Society & Culture. I'll have to ask my Curriculum Coordinator about it.

I have homework to do so this is gonna be a very short update.

See you soon!

- Olivia