Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:08:31 am

Author Topic: You should consider swapping from Google to Ecosia  (Read 5152 times)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
You should consider swapping from Google to Ecosia
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:32:31 pm »
+11
https://ecosia.org

Basically, after a friendlyjordies video, I decided to swap to Ecosia. It's just a normal search engine - but every 45 searches generates enough ad revenue to plant a tree. I initially made the switch thinking, "eh, every little bit counts", because I thought I didn't search that much. But, they track the amount of searches you do to let you know how you're doing, and in just one day I've already funded half a tree. And the best part? I don't notice any difference. There are some ads in the first couple of positions you'll likely want to avoid in your search, but Google had those anyway. So yeah, y'all should consider swapping, because this is honestly amazing - and super important, given the bushfires last season, and the fact they'll likely be worse in the coming season...

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: You should consider swapping from Google to Ecosia
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:47:53 pm »
+11
I've been using Ecosia for 4-ish years and I'm currently sitting on 1,284 trees.

Sometimes I swap over to Google if I'm not getting the search results I want but that's fairly rare.

I also recommend Tab for a Cause as an extension for chrome users. Every time you open a new tab it shows your Tab for a Cause page which you can chuck bookmarks etc. on and on there there's also ads (not super annoying huge ones). The ad revenue goes towards supporting charity and you can choose causes you're most passionate about. I haven't been using it in the past couple of years because I've been using Edge as my browser but it's worth considering :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:35:28 pm »
+6
^Have also been using it for a few years. Had to get used to the ads at first because I used to use an adblocked on google but I barely notice the difference most of the time.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:49:11 pm »
+5
I tried using Ecosia before but I kept finding myself using Google more often because Google just had more powerful search tools available.

Also, Ecosia uses Bing search results which are enhanced with its own algorithms.

That really isn't a big deal but planting trees is the cool perk with using Ecosia.

DuckDuckGo is also good if you care a lot about privacy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:52:56 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie