Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:18 pm

Author Topic: The PIP Thread  (Read 55104 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
The PIP Thread
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:49:20 pm »
+9
Before you can have your PIP checked, you'll have to make an ATAR Notes account here. Once you've done that, a little 'reply' button will come up when you're viewing threads, and you'll be able to post whatever you want! :)

Welcome to the PIP thread! In this thread, you can get parts of your PIP marked and checked! It could be a draft introduction, anything in your central material, parts of your log, or your conclusion. If it is any sort of these things, make sure you include your topic question and hypothesis to help whoever is looking at your work become familiar with what you’re aiming to present.

If you haven’t started your PIP yet, that's fine! You can just submit your ideas for your aims/hypothesis and topic ideas for your chapters. You can even propose your topic with some ideas about which methodologies you’re wishing to do!

Whatever it is, we will try our best to give feedback! Other members are always welcome to give feedback and suggestions. Society & Culture is a very diverse subject after all. All suggestions and feedback, no matter how big or small, will be beneficial ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: The PIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:51:03 pm »
Hey!
So I'm currently refining my questions for my PIP questionnaire and my teacher suggested me to ask other people to check my questions to see whether other people can understand it. Is it possible for you guys to see if my questions make sense?

Spoiler
Note on some terminology:
Racial identity: Belonging in a specific racial group, usually based on physical or genetic traits.
Interracial marriage: A marriage between two people of different socially-defined races.

What is your sex? Male/ Female
Which generation do you fall under? Baby Boomers/ Gen X/ Gen Y/ Gen Z
Do you find it difficult to establish a set racial identity? Yes/ No
Australia is becoming increasingly multicultural. In your opinion, do you find your racial identity increasingly complex? Justify your opinion.
Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages? Yes/ No
How common is it for you to see an interracial couple in current society? 1- rare/ 5- very common
In your opinion, why are interracial marriages becoming more prominent?
In regards to the increasing popularity of interracial marriage, how helpful are interracial marriages in helping alleviate racial issues? 1- not helpful/ 5- very helpful
Pertaining to the current trend of the increasing popularity of interracial marriages, do you think this popularity will continue in the future?
Do you see yourself being involved in an interracial relationship? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:46:23 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:52:34 pm »
+2
Hey!
So I'm currently refining my questions for my PIP questionnaire and my teacher suggested me to ask other people to check my questions to see whether other people can understand it. Is it possible for you guys to see if my questions make sense?

Spoiler
Note on some terminology:
Racial identity: Belonging in a specific racial group, usually based on physical or genetic traits.
Interracial marriage: A marriage between two people of different socially-defined races.

What is your sex? Male/ Female
Which generation do you fall under? Baby Boomers/ Gen X/ Gen Y/ Gen Z
Do you find it difficult to establish a set racial identity? Yes/ No
Australia is becoming increasingly multicultural. In your opinion, do you find your racial identity increasingly complex? Justify your opinion.
Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages? Yes/ No
How common is it for you to see an interracial couple in current society? 1- rare/ 5- very common
In your opinion, why are interracial marriages becoming more prominent?
In regards to the increasing popularity of interracial marriage, how helpful are interracial marriages in helping alleviate racial issues? 1- not helpful/ 5-
very helpful
Pertaining to the current trend of the increasing popularity of interracial marriages, do you think this popularity will continue in the future?
Do you see yourself being involved in an interracial relationship? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!

Really good set of questions! Well done! My only suggestion is to include an option where you ask people for their ethnicity. It will be interesting to see trends from people of the same ethnic group. This can also help you with the cross cultural comparison in your PIP. Another suggestion is that you can include another question that involves time (ie: Were interracial couples accepted in the past? or How do you think views towards interracial couples have changed throughout time? Include a factor etc.). A question about the media would be good as well because you can talk about the 'technology' and 'globalisation' concepts in your PIP. The media does play a huge factor when it comes to interracial marriages because more POC are involved on the big screen and the news. Just my suggestions though :)

Good luck!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:58:12 pm »
+1
Really good set of questions! Well done! My only suggestion is to include an option where you ask people for their ethnicity. It will be interesting to see trends from people of the same ethnic group. This can also help you with the cross cultural comparison in your PIP. Another suggestion is that you can include another question that involves time (ie: Were interracial couples accepted in the past? or How do you think views towards interracial couples have changed throughout time? Include a factor etc.). A question about the media would be good as well because you can talk about the 'technology' and 'globalisation' concepts in your PIP. The media does play a huge factor when it comes to interracial marriages because more POC are involved on the big screen and the news. Just my suggestions though :)

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback (sorry I posted my question on the wrong thread!). I had a discussion with my SAC teachers about my cross cultural comparison because my topic already addresses cross cultural (in the sense that interracial marriage is already two cultures coming together). Both of them agreed that it would be better for me to compare via the different generations, hence my question on which generation the respondent belongs in (and I am planning interviews with two people who's parents are of different races and belong in different generations). Would this still be considered as a cross cultural comparison?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »
+3
Thanks for the feedback (sorry I posted my question on the wrong thread!). I had a discussion with my SAC teachers about my cross cultural comparison because my topic already addresses cross cultural (in the sense that interracial marriage is already two cultures coming together). Both of them agreed that it would be better for me to compare via the different generations, hence my question on which generation the respondent belongs in (and I am planning interviews with two people who's parents are of different races and belong in different generations). Would this still be considered as a cross cultural comparison?

No worries! The PIP Thread is fairly new ;)

I too agree with your teachers. I understand where you are coming from BUT you also need to talk about two other cultures to get those top marks. From the title alone, we know that your topic talks about two cultures. Though if you subtly talk about the two cultures throughout in your PIP without acknowledging it in a separate section, the markers will go "where's the cross cultural comparison?". Having the two different generations as your cross cultural comparison would be awesome! This combines a lot of the fundamental concepts (esp. environment and time!) :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »
No worries! The PIP Thread is fairly new ;)

I too agree with your teachers. I understand where you are coming from BUT you also need to talk about two other cultures to get those top marks. From the title alone, we know that your topic talks about two cultures. Though if you subtly talk about the two cultures throughout in your PIP without acknowledging it in a separate section, the markers will go "where's the cross cultural comparison?". Having the two different generations as your cross cultural comparison would be awesome! This combines a lot of the fundamental concepts (esp. environment and time!) :)
Just to clarify, time can be considered as a cross cultural comparison?

Also, I was re-reading your feedback and I wanted to include your suggestion of 'How do you think views towards interracial couples have changed throughout time'- would that question be similar to 'In your opinion, why are interracial marriages becoming more prominent'? I was thinking of changing one of my questions ('Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages') from a multiple choice to a short answer question and ask about what factors would have impacted the change in attitudes towards interracial couples but I'm kinda reluctant to change the form because half of my questions are closed ended and the other half are open ended and my teacher reminded me that too many open ended questions may make my respondents reluctant to answer my questions.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
+2
Just to clarify, time can be considered as a cross cultural comparison?

Also, I was re-reading your feedback and I wanted to include your suggestion of 'How do you think views towards interracial couples have changed throughout time'- would that question be similar to 'In your opinion, why are interracial marriages becoming more prominent'? I was thinking of changing one of my questions ('Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages') from a multiple choice to a short answer question and ask about what factors would have impacted the change in attitudes towards interracial couples but I'm kinda reluctant to change the form because half of my questions are closed ended and the other half are open ended and my teacher reminded me that too many open ended questions may make my respondents reluctant to answer my questions.

Yes time can be considered as a cross cultural comparison as long as you discuss the cultures in your PIP as well. I did time as a cross cultural comparison and compared the discrimination that Asians faced in the past (during the gold rush and Vietnam War) vs the discrimination that Muslims face in today's Australian society.

Both questions are quite similar however the first question asks what factors have involved in the changing views towards interracial couples throughout time. Whilst the second question asks why are interracial marriages becoming more common in society (another factor question but is asking why interracial marriages are more prominent NOT how social factors have contributed to the CHANGING VIEWS towards interracial couples/marriages). It's up to you if you want to have both question though I think it would be interesting to keep both questions in.

From your questions, there seem to be a balance between a close and open ended questions. I don't think it will be that much of hassle to change that question into an open ended one. The first three questions of your questionnaire are just close ended questions so (in my opinion) the people answering the questionnaire wouldn't be completely disinterested until they reach the -said- question because of its placement within the questionnaire. Don't worry too much about people not answering your survey. Posting your surveys here on AN and on HSC Discussion groups on Facebook alone can get you to 60+ responses (I got 75+ responses in the first two days I posted my questionnaire). Teachers at your school are also inclined to answer your questionnaire because they want to help. You don't actually have to reach the 100+ respondents limit, but as long as you get above 50 answers that's alright. Quality overpowers quantity. You're much better off with having more open ended questions in your questionnaire because people who are passionate about the topic will have the patience to answer your survey throughout. (went a bit off topic there sorry!)

Hope this helps! If you need me to clarify anything, just reply to the thread :)

tillerxo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 07:02:06 pm »
Hi guys!
So far I'm feeling really lost and I feel like I'm barely making any progress on my PIP.  Can someone please check if my survey questions make sense?
Survey Questions
1.   How old are you?
2.   What is your racial background?
3.   Where you born in Australia?
4.   Do immigrants steal Australian jobs?
5.   Do you think that stricter immigration laws will create a stronger stigma against immigrants?
6.   Do we accept or tolerate the diverse culture that immigrants bring to Australia?
7.   Do you think that Australian society as a whole, looks down on immigrants?
8.   On a scale of 1-10 (one meaning the most accepting and 10 meaning the least) how accepted do you think immigrants are?
9.   Should we reduce the intake of immigrants?
10. Are immigrants a threat to Australian values?

To give some context:
Hypotheses:
Australian immigration policy has failed to uphold the rights and safety of immigrants. As a result, Australian society’s treatment of immigrants will deteriorate.

Focus questions:
o   How do we perceive immigrants?
o   What effects does our immigration laws have on the lives of immigrants?
o   What is the Australian attitude towards immigrants? Do we accept them or tolerate them?
o   What are the social impacts of immigration on Australia?
o   Do we blame job and economic insecurity on immigrants?
o   Should we reduce migrant intake? What problems will be solved?
o   What happens if we reduce migrant intake? What problems will be created and solved?
o   What are the outcomes of Australian society rejecting immigrants?
o   Is deportation the answer to migrants/refugees rebelling/committing crimes?
o   Are migrants a threat to national identity and social cohesion?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:08:56 pm »
+2
Hi guys!
So far I'm feeling really lost and I feel like I'm barely making any progress on my PIP.  Can someone please check if my survey questions make sense?
Survey Questions
1.   How old are you?
5.   Do you think that stricter immigration laws will create a stronger stigma against immigrants?
6.   Do we accept or tolerate the diverse culture that immigrants bring to Australia?
8.   On a scale of 1-10 (one meaning the most accepting and 10 meaning the least) how accepted do you think immigrants are?

To give some context:
Hypotheses:
Australian immigration policy has failed to uphold the rights and safety of immigrants. As a result, Australian society’s treatment of immigrants will deteriorate.

Focus questions:
o   What is the Australian attitude towards immigrants? Do we accept them or tolerate them?
o   What happens if we reduce migrant intake? What problems will be created and solved?
Hey!
I'm liking the direction you're taking with your survey questions, although i'd add maybe a few more. How about some geared towards your hypothesis? For example, asking about whether "you believe australian immigration has failed to he rights and safety of immigrants." Maybe "to what extent as well"  or perhaps "do you believe Australian society’s treatment of immigrants will deteriorate.?" (as these can be used to validate your hypothesis possibly). These are just two examples though.
What sort of answers are you looking for in question 2?
In question 3, if they weren't born in Australia, then you should include possible other answers, or better still, just let them enter their country of birth (or just region, if you feel that might be easier). 
Question 4 sounds a little wrong, and too direct, but thats just me (if you were to change it, i wouldn;t know how you would) so if you believe if it is fine, then leave it. Thats just my opinion
What do you mean by "stronger stigma" in question 5? I'm only one person, but if people are questioning definitions of some of your questions, it may be best to change them so people understand them easier.
Question 6 may be better suited for a scale, or have more answers, as people may be inclined differently to the options you have provided.

Also remember that with all questions requiring a yes/no or short answer, always give people the chance to elaborate on their answers if they see fit. For example for question 10, it sounds like you're looking for a yes/no answer. Ask people "why" or to "elaborate" to provide some more in depth answers. This should be applied to all questions you create requiring a yes/no or a short answer.
Thats all some advice for your questions!

As for your focus questions, i really like the direction you're taking with them!
Maybe narrowing them down or combining a few might be good as these focus questions look like they could all stretch out the pip longer then it should be. But other than that, i like them!

If you need any more help, please let me know!
Keep up the good work!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:25:51 pm »
+2
Hi guys!
Survey Questions
1.   How old are you?

To give some context:
Hypotheses:

Focus questions:

Just adding onto Mada438's answer above (he's pretty much said everything I wanted to say aha)

Comments for your questionnaire questions:

For the 'how old are you?' and 'racial background' questions just have options to people to pick from. You can have a list of age groups like 11-15, 16-20 etc. It'll just make it easier for you to see trends. Same thing goes for the racial background question. If they happen to have more than one racial background, there should be an 'other' option where they can specify what backgrounds they are of.

Will questions 4 to 7, 9-10 be close or open ended questions? Ensure to keep a balance of close and ended questions so that your survey participants actually complete the questionnaire. Maybe reword question 4? It's a bit abrupt plus it creates an agenda which can affect the answers. You can possibly reword it to 'Are immigrants currently prominent in the Australian working industry' or something to that effect.

But besides from that, I like the questions you've got!

Comments for your focus questions:

How many people do you plan on having in your focus group? It's completely fine to do a lot of focus questions though when you start making your transcript, that's when it's gets tiring. If it were up to me, I would only pick questions 1, 3-7 and 10.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 12:14:55 am »
Yes time can be considered as a cross cultural comparison as long as you discuss the cultures in your PIP as well. I did time as a cross cultural comparison and compared the discrimination that Asians faced in the past (during the gold rush and Vietnam War) vs the discrimination that Muslims face in today's Australian society.

So I just changed my fifth question (Do you find it difficult to establish a set racial identity?) from a multiple choice to a short answer and extended the question a bit to: 'Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages? What social factors could have contributed to this change?' Does this question still make sense? (I really want to send out my questionnaire before the holidays end).

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 12:27:14 am »
+1
So I just changed my fifth question (Do you find it difficult to establish a set racial identity?) from a multiple choice to a short answer and extended the question a bit to: 'Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages? What social factors could have contributed to this change?' Does this question still make sense? (I really want to send out my questionnaire before the holidays end).

Question makes sense! You’re on the right track :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:28:54 am »
Hey! I jist had a look over all your replies in this thread with beatroot and i like where you're going with this!
After reading your questions, this altered one definitely seems good!
Oh and i answered your survey over on the pip surveys thread too
Keep up the good work!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 04:01:03 pm »
Hey, Bea!

Here's the link to the proposal I wrote for my assessment task. Could you please provide some pointers as to how I could develop this into the introduction as my teacher suggested?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1191SDqp7fHlbhhCRJVlcn8_aFFvmFSXFkoP-A_wEs4w/edit?usp=sharing

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
Hey, Bea!

Here's the link to the proposal I wrote for my assessment task. Could you please provide some pointers as to how I could develop this into the introduction as my teacher suggested?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1191SDqp7fHlbhhCRJVlcn8_aFFvmFSXFkoP-A_wEs4w/edit?usp=sharing
Hey, im not sure if you know this, but i clicked on this link and it came up with a google doc regarding "The Poem's Heartbeat by Alfred Corn "
Something for extension 2 english?