Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:05 pm

Poll

How are you feeling about your Trials?

Totally smashed them, bring on the HSC!
A few little issues, but I'm happy overall!
I've got some kinks I need to iron out...
What even is Discovery?
#rekt

Author Topic: CSSA Sound Off Thread  (Read 12837 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: CSSA Sound Off Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 01:02:18 pm »
You can't always assume these things :)
Actually, whilst I see your point, I'd say I should be allowed to assume this one.

So long as they care about their education, a student should be well aware of what "weighting" is by now. Ranks were juggled once already in prelim, and the weighting factor should've been made apparent by then already. Performing well in certain tasks and not in others should've visibly impacted on where in the cohort they were.

Year 12 is just a version of Year 11 that has proper value. Whilst I can understand if some questions regarding "scaling" and etc. remain a blur, if they don't realise that certain exams/assessments deserve to count more towards your final result, that's something seriously concerning. Plus it doesn't exactly take that much thought to determine why weightings are necessary - if the final exams are weighted equal to or less than the initial, then clearly the marks received don't reflect a year's worth of performance as opposed to a few weeks.

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 10:18:42 am »
Actually, whilst I see your point, I'd say I should be allowed to assume this one.

So long as they care about their education, a student should be well aware of what "weighting" is by now. Ranks were juggled once already in prelim, and the weighting factor should've been made apparent by then already. Performing well in certain tasks and not in others should've visibly impacted on where in the cohort they were.

Year 12 is just a version of Year 11 that has proper value. Whilst I can understand if some questions regarding "scaling" and etc. remain a blur, if they don't realise that certain exams/assessments deserve to count more towards your final result, that's something seriously concerning. Plus it doesn't exactly take that much thought to determine why weightings are necessary - if the final exams are weighted equal to or less than the initial, then clearly the marks received don't reflect a year's worth of performance as opposed to a few weeks.

Yeah ofc, but there might be some not-so-knowledgeable year 11s browsing who might not know. Anyway, it doesn't matter too much

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 11:26:23 am »
Didnt think I would spark a debate lol ;D

Firstly, they are Year 12 Trial results. I have known how waiting works before I even started Year 11.
Secondly, thanks a heap for your help!!
Thirdly, my ranks have improved in all my subjects a little but not that much. (Eg 9th in Gen Math with a rank of 12th before hand)
Fourthly (and lastly) English is my only subject where the prior posts really affect. Idk how but I went much better in my paper 2 then I thought I would so improved my rank quite a bit (18% weighting paper 2) as well as my speech I just did (20% weighting- and teacher hinted that I got an A) as well as my Mod B essay before trials (15% weighting 16/20)

20+18+15 -> 53% weighting where I have performed well. The other 47% I only got 60%ish

Thanks again!

Bookworm101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 07:08:33 pm »
+1
English Paper 1 - I was fine in that one 26/45 (wanted to get 30)
English Paper 2 - did better than Paper 1. 36/60 (happy that I passed)
Modern History - 49/100 (so close to passing hope too in the real ones)
Ancient History - 48/100 (need to pass on this one and get above 60-70)
Hospitality - 50/100(want to get about 60-80)
Studies of Religion 2 - 47/85 ( our school just finished learning about religion and non religion) [happy about the marks that I got but I want to do better]

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 07:55:38 pm »
English Paper 1 - I was fine in that one 26/45 (wanted to get 30)
English Paper 2 - did better than Paper 1. 36/60 (happy that I passed)
Modern History - 49/100 (so close to passing hope too in the real ones)
Ancient History - 48/100 (need to pass on this one and get above 60-70)
Hospitality - 50/100(want to get about 60-80)
Studies of Religion 2 - 47/85 ( our school just finished learning about religion and non religion) [happy about the marks that I got but I want to do better]

Hey bookworm101, welcome to the atarnotes forums!! Nice to see new faces/names pop up!

I got 52% in my SOR 2 exam. Not that impressive. I have most of the detail correct, but cannot word it right for some reason. Any tips here? (Asking simply because 47/85 is much better than 52/100)

Remember Eng Paper 2 scales more (60%) than Paper 1 (40%) in the HSC and following the same trial format as me (16%- Paper 2, 14% paper 1). Thus it is important to get good marks in Paper 2.
May I just ask what English you are doing? Standard/Advanced?

I got 41/60 in Paper 2 (dont ask how lol, i thought i had failed for sure!) and 35/45 for Paper 1 (again, dont ask how) in advanced. This was the reward not from rereading my texts and analysing them (though this does help!) but rather reading and evaluating summaries (eg Top Notes). Creative you either have it or you dont, and this was the first creative that got over a 9 so quite chuffed (got a 13).

Heard the ancient history exam was horrid as well as one of the modern questions being a bit ambiguous.. So you at least have that to fall back on.

I cannot stress how much rankings are important though What ranks did you achieve for these exams? Fir example, an average of 80% where you got 85% is not as good as an average of 45% where you achieved 70%. ranks over marks always

Finally, remember the trials are harder than the HSC!
(I'll get off my soap box now, not even sure if you wanted elaboration or if i have just embarrassed myself/wasted a good while typing this up. :)

Bookworm101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 09:03:17 pm »
Hey studybuddy7777

I do Advanced English and had all three essays prepared for Paper 2. Also, got a 10 in Creative Writing, a 12 in my discovery essay for The Tempest and 11 for the unseen text for Paper 1. Ancient History was hard... the Alexander the Great questions were very ambiguous and very hard.

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2016, 09:52:05 pm »
Perhaps we should develop a series of hand yoga techniques? ;)

I vote YES to this idea Jamon ahaha
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:35:55 pm by jamonwindeyer »