Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:18 pm

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1406563 times)  Share 

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5805 on: October 16, 2019, 06:16:08 pm »
Yep, you'd have to visit the Arts student services to get approval for overloading, then they'll add in the unit for you manually.

If it's listed under the BA areas of study in the handbook (and you meet prerequisites to enrol into it), I would assume it will be counted as an 'Arts elective/unit' for the purposes of the BA. For example, my major is Psychology, which is entirely taught by the MNHS faculty, but is still my Arts major because it's listed as an area of study in the BA handbook. I would recommend visiting the Arts student services and asking there just to double check because I think digital humanities is quite new as an area of study.

Thanks! I’ll go to student services tomorrow. :)

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5806 on: October 17, 2019, 02:59:51 pm »
Yep, you'd have to visit the Arts student services to get approval for overloading, then they'll add in the unit for you manually.

If it's listed under the BA areas of study in the handbook (and you meet prerequisites to enrol into it), I would assume it will be counted as an 'Arts elective/unit' for the purposes of the BA. For example, my major is Psychology, which is entirely taught by the MNHS faculty, but is still my Arts major because it's listed as an area of study in the BA handbook. I would recommend visiting the Arts student services and asking there just to double check because I think digital humanities is quite new as an area of study.

I went earlier today and you were right! She said it does count as an Arts elective because it's in the Digital Humanities area of study. Thank you!

EDIT: Okay never mind, I went back just before to ask something else about one of those units and I wanted to clarify that they would count as Arts electives, but after spending what felt like 5 minutes in the back, presumably discussing with other people, she said no. She said if I am completing a minor or major in the area of study, it will contribute to that, but single units still count as free electives, and not Arts electives.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:08:45 pm by DoctorTwo »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5807 on: November 07, 2019, 06:08:43 pm »
+5
Had my first exam and got caught off guard with the combined reading + writing time- seems across the board.

Hope y'all doing okay this exam period! 💙
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5808 on: November 07, 2019, 10:14:19 pm »
+2
Had my first exam and got caught off guard with the combined reading + writing time- seems across the board.

Yep just finished my 3rd one for the week, has been busy.

Only one to go next Wednesday and then I'm done, nice to have a bit of a gap finally.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5809 on: November 11, 2019, 09:48:49 am »

What's the general consensus on this? A positive change?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5810 on: November 11, 2019, 12:08:16 pm »
+3
A lot of my cohort experienced it for the first time today, but I'm not 100% sure of the consensus- seems positive though!

Also Boof and co (the therapy dogs) are at the Racecourse. 😍
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #5811 on: November 20, 2019, 02:25:33 pm »
Yo has anyone received a first round offer for Halls accommodation - kinda bummed cos I haven't received any offer today but hoping that they possibly haven't sent out offers yet (ik its only first round today but obvs the sooner u know where ur staying next year the better)
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5812 on: November 20, 2019, 02:29:51 pm »
+4
Yo has anyone received a first round offer for Halls accommodation - kinda bummed cos I haven't received any offer today but hoping that they possibly haven't sent out offers yet (ik its only first round today but obvs the sooner u know where ur staying next year the better)
I used to live on campus, I don't think my accommodation offer got emailed until the afternoon/evening if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be too stressed about it, they're not the most organised and punctual service haha.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5813 on: November 20, 2019, 02:32:35 pm »
+1

I liked it, especially since you can still use that 10 minutes for reading if you want - in which case you're able to actually highlight, underline, etc. rather than just staring at the page

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5814 on: November 20, 2019, 02:39:08 pm »
+2
Re: Reading time + Writing time combined

I didn't feel there was much difference. For anyone who struggles to finish, I think it is helpful though.

I also had a couple of eExams this semester. I still think for MCQs writing on paper is ideal or at least give us a function on the computer to annotate/cross out the certain answer options. For short answer/essay style questions, it was great though since you can edit really easily and your hands don't get tired after 3 hours. For one of the eExams they gave us just one piece of paper for our notes which I thought wasn't enough given we had a 3 hour exam. The unit coordinator told us that we should rub out our notes on the paper to reuse it lol

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5815 on: November 20, 2019, 03:11:14 pm »
I used to live on campus, I don't think my accommodation offer got emailed until the afternoon/evening if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be too stressed about it, they're not the most organised and punctual service haha.

Oh yeah another q

If we get offer  but we don't know if we have been accepted into our course at Monash do we still accept anyway?

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5816 on: November 20, 2019, 03:15:17 pm »
+4
Oh yeah another q

If we get offer  but we don't know if we have been accepted into our course at Monash do we still accept anyway?

Your offer will be conditional on you enrolling into your course at Monash. When I was given my offer the deadline was intentionally after course offers & if your course had a late offer day you could contact them so they'd extend the deadline for you

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5817 on: November 20, 2019, 03:22:44 pm »
Your offer will be conditional on you enrolling into your course at Monash. When I was given my offer the deadline was intentionally after course offers & if your course had a late offer day you could contact them so they'd extend the deadline for you

Ok cool that is what I thought might be the case  :D

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5818 on: November 28, 2019, 04:39:52 pm »
+3
Are people registering for early results?  Why/ why not?

(I haven't decided if I will or not yet)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5819 on: November 28, 2019, 04:41:51 pm »
+4
Are people registering for early results?  Why/ why not?

(I haven't decided if I will or not yet)

I always used to. Figured there was no harm!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.