Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:55:03 am

Author Topic: Point Blank  (Read 2483 times)

amisha.man

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Point Blank
« on: October 26, 2019, 04:50:25 pm »
+1
Soooooooooooo...
My VCE journey has been pretty bad so far with only a few nights left till my English Exam, I'm sitting her writing this instead of studying. The truth is i have no energy, no strength and no motivation whatsoever to pick up that pen and start revising. Ever since school finished a week ago I have only read a chapter from my bio textbook and left it at that. And don't get me wrong. I am definitely not one of those types that gets a pretty good score even though no studying was done. Other than that I'm not even doing anything valuable with my life at all. I have done pretty moderate to pretty good with my SACs (except English lol) but I am totally sure I am not gonna do that great in my exams.

If i do really bad on my exams and get a pretty low ATAR, will my life be over? :/
I hope not... because it looks like I've already given up.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: Point Blank
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 05:13:08 pm »
+3
Soooooooooooo...
My VCE journey has been pretty bad so far with only a few nights left till my English Exam, I'm sitting her writing this instead of studying. The truth is i have no energy, no strength and no motivation whatsoever to pick up that pen and start revising. Ever since school finished a week ago I have only read a chapter from my bio textbook and left it at that. And don't get me wrong. I am definitely not one of those types that gets a pretty good score even though no studying was done. Other than that I'm not even doing anything valuable with my life at all. I have done pretty moderate to pretty good with my SACs (except English lol) but I am totally sure I am not gonna do that great in my exams.

If i do really bad on my exams and get a pretty low ATAR, will my life be over? :/
I hope not... because it looks like I've already given up.

This entire post is the biggest mood ever. You could not have summarised my exact thoughts more accurately than this. It may not seem like it right now, but so many other Year 12s are feeling exactly the same as you. I have done about as much preparation for English and Bio as you.

But about that last question...if you do your absolute best, there isn't any reason for you to give up on your dreams. Even if your ATAR isn't quite there, there's always another way to get there. Sure, it may take some dedication and perseverance on your part, but I can assure you that you will find your ideal course.

I know what I've said is probably not what you want to hear, and my advice is unlikely to be the best for you specifically (seeing as I'm in Year 12), but I do have experience on these forums, chatting with graduates and stuff like that. Year 12 is just a drop in the ocean of life. The suffering will pass. Just try to enjoy your last few days of being a secondary school student. Reach out to friends, who are almost certainly sharing your sentiments. Get outside, have some healthy snacks, sleep well.

Feel free to keep posting here, you've definitely come to the right place!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

amisha.man

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 05:27:30 pm »
This entire post is the biggest mood ever. You could not have summarised my exact thoughts more accurately than this. It may not seem like it right now, but so many other Year 12s are feeling exactly the same as you. I have done about as much preparation for English and Bio as you.

But about that last question...if you do your absolute best, there isn't any reason for you to give up on your dreams. Even if your ATAR isn't quite there, there's always another way to get there. Sure, it may take some dedication and perseverance on your part, but I can assure you that you will find your ideal course.

I know what I've said is probably not what you want to hear, and my advice is unlikely to be the best for you specifically (seeing as I'm in Year 12), but I do have experience on these forums, chatting with graduates and stuff like that. Year 12 is just a drop in the ocean of life. The suffering will pass. Just try to enjoy your last few days of being a secondary school student. Reach out to friends, who are almost certainly sharing your sentiments. Get outside, have some healthy snacks, sleep well.

Feel free to keep posting here, you've definitely come to the right place!

Thanks for being so cool. Thought I was the only one with these struggles :)

amisha.man

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »
Everyone has such big goals and dreams here. Is someone like me even right for this place?
I am so lost. It takes so long for me to get to the desk covered with textbooks just staring right back at me and when i do get to that desk and grab that pen, I lose my focus so easily. UGH!!
But I guess there has been improvement since my last post a half hour ago. I'VE READ TWO PAGES FROM MY BIO TEXTBOOK.
Pray for me...

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 07:18:08 pm »
+3
Everyone has such big goals and dreams here. Is someone like me even right for this place?
I am so lost. It takes so long for me to get to the desk covered with textbooks just staring right back at me and when i do get to that desk and grab that pen, I lose my focus so easily. UGH!!
But I guess there has been improvement since my last post a half hour ago. I'VE READ TWO PAGES FROM MY BIO TEXTBOOK.
Pray for me...
Your not wrong. Generally the community on ATAR notes are students who I would say are above average and overachievers. When you put it into perspective, everyone is just going for the own goals. Personally, I am not aiming for the super high 90's like everyone else here is, but more so high 80's low 90's. To the outside world, that is an amazing mark, it is just on here, alot of people what to go into medicine or engineering or commerce which all have high atars so that is just peoples goals. Everyone is welcome here, not matter what type of student you are, so welcome!
Try to compare your self to others, just focus on getting what you need, not matter the score. I know that motivation can be tough to find, I have done nothing today and the bio exam is right around the corner!

Since the bio exam is in a few days, maybe instead of reading the text book, try watching alot of videos like crashcourse or khan academy on the big topics and do some practices exams just to get the main ideas down since there isn't alot of time. I think textbooks are a bit to passive for trying to learn stuff/revise. I have no idea if that is helpful to you or not, but good luck!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

amisha.man

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 07:25:18 pm »
Your not wrong. Generally the community on ATAR notes are students who I would say are above average and overachievers. When you put it into perspective, everyone is just going for the own goals. Personally, I am not aiming for the super high 90's like everyone else here is, but more so high 80's low 90's. To the outside world, that is an amazing mark, it is just on here, alot of people what to go into medicine or engineering or commerce which all have high atars so that is just peoples goals. Everyone is welcome here, not matter what type of student you are, so welcome!
Try to compare your self to others, just focus on getting what you need, not matter the score. I know that motivation can be tough to find, I have done nothing today and the bio exam is right around the corner!

Since the bio exam is in a few days, maybe instead of reading the text book, try watching alot of videos like crashcourse or khan academy on the big topics and do some practices exams just to get the main ideas down since there isn't alot of time. I think textbooks are a bit to passive for trying to learn stuff/revise. I have no idea if that is helpful to you or not, but good luck!

Thank you so much for your words. I guess I represent the underachievers on this platform ;).
And thanks for your advice, I'll definitely watch some vids and I do have Edrolo so that's a bonus. (I love that Douch guy haha) ;D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:10:31 pm »
+2
Welcome! :)

Pray for me...

Something I'm quite grateful for is that atarnotes is a community for a broader range of students than it used to be; you could be doing unscored and be just as valid in having a journal here. And hey, textbook pages can be pretty dense - that's two more pages you hadn't read before ;)

I definitely echo Geoo's advice that textbook reading might not be the most effective use of your time. If you find Douche's edrolo videos useful you might also be interested in his bio 34 podcast - you could listen to that while doing other stuff which might make it a bit easier to get more  revision time in.

Good luck!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:04 pm »
I second what Bri said, Douchy's podcast is great. And so are crash course videos.

Your life won't be over if you don't get the ATAR you want. The only thing that you might need it for is Uni, and even then, there are many pathways. Just do the best you can so that you can be really proud of the effort you put it.

You are so welcome here!

Best of luck! <3