Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:44:39 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469943 times)  Share 

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1410 on: March 03, 2019, 10:39:07 am »
+3
Hi guys.
This is Psycholgy Unit 1 stuff.
But I was wondering is fmri and PET  have info on structure and function or only function, like both of them?

Hey Evolio,

Both PET and fMRI show information about brain structure and function. :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #1411 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:20 am »
+1
Ok, cool.
Thank you!
 :) :)

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1412 on: March 03, 2019, 11:52:01 am »
+3
Hi guys.
This is Psycholgy Unit 1 stuff.
But I was wondering is fmri and PET  have info on structure and function or only function, like both of them?

Hey! The fMRI and PET both produce images showing brain structure and function.

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
  • Don't be afraid to fail - be afraid not to try
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1413 on: March 06, 2019, 02:55:33 pm »
hey has anyone done the psych sac

how'd it go

anyone sections that are particularly important ?

“Procrastination kills time but murders your success"
https://www.youtube.com

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #1414 on: March 06, 2019, 06:38:14 pm »
+1
hey has anyone done the psych sac

how'd it go

anyone sections that are particularly important ?
You might have to be more specific.
Psych SACs of what topic?
Also note that the SACs your school do will not be the same as the SACs that other schools do.  :)

I have done 2 psych SACs so far (one on stress and another on the nervous system). Both of them have gone pretty well. ;D
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #1415 on: March 06, 2019, 06:53:48 pm »
+1
You might have to be more specific.
Psych SACs of what topic?
Also note that the SACs your school do will not be the same as the SACs that other schools do.  :)

I have done 2 psych SACs so far (one on stress and another on the nervous system). Both of them have gone pretty well. ;D

ahh ok
sorry I though every one learns the same thing at around the same time
anyways our schools doing the nervous system and stress combined in one sac
I'm pretty confident in the nervous system just gotta brush up on some 'spinal reflex " revision and stress is also zzz just gotta know the biological and psychological components of stress. Other than that how did u revise for your sacs :D

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #1416 on: March 06, 2019, 07:02:01 pm »

ahh ok
sorry I though every one learns the same thing at around the same time
anyways our schools doing the nervous system and stress combined in one sac
I'm pretty confident in the nervous system just gotta brush up on some 'spinal reflex " revision and stress is also zzz just gotta know the biological and psychological components of stress. Other than that how did u revise for your sacs :D
No, you're right. Everyone (mostly) learns the same content at the same time, it's just that SACs can be very different with some teachers creating a SAC for each topic while others roll many topics under one larger SAC.

Re study: Our teacher made 2 practice SACs based on each SAC that we were going to do. So after learning all the content and doing the textbook questions assigned for homework, I found that doing those practice SACs and marking them were sufficient preparation.

Our SACs have been pretty easy with mostly general questions which you can essential just wrote-learn with very few actual difficult applications of content. That means we are getting pretty high scores which seem good, but I'm not too sure how well it's preparing up for the difficulty of the exam.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:10:33 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1417 on: March 06, 2019, 09:11:42 pm »
+1
I had my sac today on stress and the nervous system. I didn't find it hard, but I guess that was because I actually studied for it. If you know the content well and you can apply it, then you have nothing to worry about :)
As for difficulty, that varies a lot. My teacher's sacs are on the hard side (VCAA assessor, so she wants to make them hard to prep for the exam), but essentially a 'harder' sac just means more application, because they expect you to know the knowledge. You'll be fine, and don't stress too much over it. I did, and I regretted spending so much time studying for it and neglecting my other tests. Good luck!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #1418 on: March 11, 2019, 12:11:02 pm »
explain the role of the Sympathetic nervous system in stage 3 of GAS

hey can anyone help me with this
Thank ;) ;)

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1419 on: March 11, 2019, 12:21:39 pm »

Thank ;) ;)

The sympathetic nervous system continues to attempt to arouse the body, even in the exhaustion stage. This means that it is still active in stage 3 of GAS.

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #1420 on: March 11, 2019, 12:28:37 pm »
The sympathetic nervous system continues to attempt to arouse the body, even in the exhaustion stage. This means that it is still active in stage 3 of GAS.

hey thanks...but how does it continue to arouse in the exhaustion stage.....like what symptoms are shown ?

idk im a bit confused about this bit
thnx

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1421 on: March 11, 2019, 12:35:27 pm »
+1

Thank ;) ;)

Stage 3 of the GAS is exhaustion. Signs of alarm reaction may reappear, but the effects of the stressor can no longer be dealt with. The body's resources are severely depleted, and the individual is more vulnerable to physical and mental disorders. My understanding of the role of the sympathetic nervous system in exhaustion is that it is very minimal. This is because by this time, the body has already gone through the resistance stage, where HPA axis activation would have occurred. Therefore, the sympathetic nervous system may still be dominant and trying to reduce the effects of the stressor along with the effects of cortisol, however its role in stimulating the secretion of adrenalin and noradrenalin is almost useless as at this stage, as things like increased heartrate and dilated pupils aren't needed by this stage. These two signs are examples of the 'signs of alarm reaction that may reappear', as I stated before. The body is basically unable to deal with the stressor by this stage, and the role of the sympathetic nervous system is minimal as it does not provide a meaningful way to resist the effects of the stressor and only brings back some signs of alarm reaction. The body is severely weakened and depleted of physiological resources anyway, so the physiological coping resources the body has aren't that useful anymore, by this time.

Keep in mind this is just my understanding, please do correct me if I'm wrong :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #1422 on: March 11, 2019, 12:48:11 pm »
Stage 3 of the GAS is exhaustion. Signs of alarm reaction may reappear, but the effects of the stressor can no longer be dealt with. The body's resources are severely depleted, and the individual is more vulnerable to physical and mental disorders. My understanding of the role of the sympathetic nervous system in exhaustion is that it is very minimal. This is because by this time, the body has already gone through the resistance stage, where HPA axis activation would have occurred. Therefore, the sympathetic nervous system may still be dominant and trying to reduce the effects of the stressor along with the effects of cortisol, however its role in stimulating the secretion of adrenalin and noradrenalin is almost useless as at this stage, as things like increased heartrate and dilated pupils aren't needed by this stage. These two signs are examples of the 'signs of alarm reaction that may reappear', as I stated before. The body is basically unable to deal with the stressor by this stage, and the role of the sympathetic nervous system is minimal as it does not provide a meaningful way to resist the effects of the stressor and only brings back some signs of alarm reaction. The body is severely weakened and depleted of physiological resources anyway, so the physiological coping resources the body has aren't that useful anymore, by this time.

Keep in mind this is just my understanding, please do correct me if I'm wrong :)

I don't think a person like me has the authority to correct u since ur never wrong ;)

also I did some research on the trusty internet  ::) and found thiss

"The sympathetic nervous system would continue to release stress hormones as long as the individual is still experiencing the stressor, sustaining high arousal levels"

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #1423 on: March 11, 2019, 01:30:10 pm »
I don't think a person like me has the authority to correct u since ur never wrong ;)

also I did some research on the trusty internet  ::) and found thiss

"The sympathetic nervous system would continue to release stress hormones as long as the individual is still experiencing the stressor, sustaining high arousal levels"
Agreed
The sustained arousal of the sympathetic nervous system would continue to release cortisol through the exhaustion stage (as whys stated, not so much adrenaline and noradrenaline of the SAM response). These sustained elevated cortisol levels causes many maladaptive symptoms by the exhaustion stage. One important one is the effect of cortisol to suppress the immune system leading to the individuals increase vulnerability to infection.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1424 on: March 11, 2019, 02:28:35 pm »
+1
Agreed
The sustained arousal of the sympathetic nervous system would continue to release cortisol through the exhaustion stage (as whys stated, not so much adrenaline and noradrenaline of the SAM response). These sustained elevated cortisol levels causes many maladaptive symptoms by the exhaustion stage. One important one is the effect of cortisol to suppress the immune system leading to the individuals increase vulnerability to infection.

Yep this is good! The sympathetic continues to release the stress hormone cortisol through the exhaustion stage in order to sustain high arousal levels. However, prolonged periods of high cortisol levels decrease the efficiency of the immune system, thereby making the individual more susceptible to illness. In the exhaustion stage, the resources to deal with the stressor have been severely depleted, and therefore the effects of the sympathetic nervous system arousal are minimal.