Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:16:14 pm

Poll

is vce lit or eng lang better

Literature
Eng Lang

Author Topic: A Procrastinator's VCE Journey  (Read 5885 times)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: A Procrastinator's VCE Journey
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 10:53:09 am »
+3
Hey bluebird! Long time no see but I totally get you when you say that all that getting into uni stuff is stressful! I was and still am quite daunted but what makes you feel better is knowing that ultimately only you can control your VCE journey so really own it and you'll do great! It's great to see that you're starting work, don't put so much pressure on yourself though and remember to enjoy it :D
Looking forward to the next update  ;D
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 09:44:50 pm »
+2
Hey bluebird! Long time no see but I totally get you when you say that all that getting into uni stuff is stressful! I was and still am quite daunted but what makes you feel better is knowing that ultimately only you can control your VCE journey so really own it and you'll do great! It's great to see that you're starting work, don't put so much pressure on yourself though and remember to enjoy it :D
Looking forward to the next update  ;D

Hey Potato! Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah, I think there is a lot of room for improvement and stress management is a work in progress which hopefully VCE will teach me a lot about. At the end of the day it's just a small part of life and I hope that I'll learn more than just the content on the study design.  :)
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 09:56:18 pm »
+3
Hi bluebird! I guess it's safe to say I've been stalking your journal for a while and just wanted to pop in and say hi! Really good that you're looking forward to your 3/4 subjects, I admire that motivation and passion you have. Don't worry too much about not doing too much holiday homework, we all know that a lot of the time teacher's don't bother to even review it and that ultimately it doesn't make a huge impact on your studies for the year! So many people face the same dilemma and it feels like a big deal, but take it easy before school starts! Go out that last time, watch that movie, make sure you reward yourself for the previous year's successes before you start the new school year.

Your subject combination is looking great! Really good mix to keep things interesting. As for Bio 3/4 (which I did last year), don't worry too much! So many people (myself included) did close to nothing in 1/2 and ultimately came out of 3/4 okay! If you ever struggle to find the motivation for Bio (which not gonna lie hit pretty often for me), reading those little stories and footnotes in the textbook really helped to revive my interest in the subject. Anyway, that's just a little trick if you ever feel like you need it : D

Really looking forward to seeing your journey through the year! Best of luck with everything :)
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

mang0

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 11:56:02 am »
+2
Hi bluebird! I just wanted to say hi, just like wingdings haha. Echoing what the others said, make sure to take care of yourself and not work too hard during the holidays. Hopefully you've been able to take a good break away from studying so that you're all refreshed when school starts. With bio, although I didn't get an amazing score, I'd love to help out if you need anything so feel free to PM me if you need help.  :)
Looking forward to reading all your future entries and best of luck for this year! :D

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 03:16:07 pm »
+4
Hi bluebird! I guess it's safe to say I've been stalking your journal for a while and just wanted to pop in and say hi! Really good that you're looking forward to your 3/4 subjects, I admire that motivation and passion you have. Don't worry too much about not doing too much holiday homework, we all know that a lot of the time teacher's don't bother to even review it and that ultimately it doesn't make a huge impact on your studies for the year! So many people face the same dilemma and it feels like a big deal, but take it easy before school starts! Go out that last time, watch that movie, make sure you reward yourself for the previous year's successes before you start the new school year.

Your subject combination is looking great! Really good mix to keep things interesting. As for Bio 3/4 (which I did last year), don't worry too much! So many people (myself included) did close to nothing in 1/2 and ultimately came out of 3/4 okay! If you ever struggle to find the motivation for Bio (which not gonna lie hit pretty often for me), reading those little stories and footnotes in the textbook really helped to revive my interest in the subject. Anyway, that's just a little trick if you ever feel like you need it : D

Really looking forward to seeing your journey through the year! Best of luck with everything :)

Hi bluebird! I just wanted to say hi, just like wingdings haha. Echoing what the others said, make sure to take care of yourself and not work too hard during the holidays. Hopefully you've been able to take a good break away from studying so that you're all refreshed when school starts. With bio, although I didn't get an amazing score, I'd love to help out if you need anything so feel free to PM me if you need help.  :)
Looking forward to reading all your future entries and best of luck for this year! :D

Thanks so much for taking time to read my very messy words wingdings2791 and mang0! I certainly will try my very best to be as fresh and not burned out before school starts. I'm glad to know that the journey to doing "well" doesn't always mean always acing everything and always being motivated and organised because I feel that's so unrealistic haha. Good luck to both of you for year 12 I'm sure you guys will ace it!

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 08:57:40 pm »
+10
💖 Week 1 Year 11: Feb 6th 2021 💖

Hello humans!
Hope everyone's doing well and apologies in advance for this very ranty post.
So yes first week complete, of what's gonna be a long year. The first day was kind of like, "Wow, I can't believe I'm actually back at school" and "I kinda haven't been kicked out of the holiday mood". The last days were like "Oh no, I need to do ___ and I haven't :(", "How will I catch up? :(" , "I can do my homework later ... :P". I struggled in the latter half due to some certain ~stuff~ so it was great to be hit first thing this year (nothing too big). Overall, I'm feeling drained and kinda like I'm behind (even though I'm not really, if that makes sense) and I'm not sure I'm looking forward to school.

One reason I could be feeling inadequate is Literature. You know how there's usually those 5 people that are always active in class and seem like wise philosophers and everyone else is silent for the most part... those people are really really intimidating for me right now. I'm not sure I'll ever get to that level of depth and understanding and am starting to wonder whether only certain people can do Lit (which does not include me). I enjoy analysis and unravelling the texts but I don't think I'm good enough with words (as my posts already reveal) and I don't have enough original ideas to be that "literature-ey" contributive student that I imagined goes into the subject. Maybe I'll grow and learn to become that vision. Then again maybe I won't.

Also HHD 3/4 hasn't exactly been what I imagined. I really enjoyed 1/2 but 3/4 seems like a subject with little gain now. It seems unstructured, and the teacher keeps talking about what VCAA wants on the exam or on the SAC and how x% students missed this specific mark on the exam of 2017 because of ____. I only feel like I'm being taught to get a high score and I'd rather learn ... to learn. The teachers really nice don't get me wrong but I'm just not used to this full on exam mentality. *Welcome to VCE bluebird.* It's only been a few days (we've just been going over basic health and wellbeing stuff) but it's shocked me especially because I feel more interested in Biology and Methods.

Bio 3/4 was supposed to be super scary with it being one of my less favourite subjects last year. Then when holidays came around I really enjoyed doing the holiday homework. Its structured, interconnected, and just so fascinating. I realise now that when I'm not learning for exams or tests or marks my opinion on subjects completely flip around. I have to say the AN lecture for this was pretty cool and significant in helping me like this subject from the beginning. In class, we haven't done much yet just scientific method. I can't wait to get to the immunity part and the human evolution part... 

Methods has also shocked me because... I'm liking it. *gasp* The classes are really quiet but tranquil. We've just gone over basic linear stuff but nothing is new to be honest. It's nice to just be able to work quietly in class which I haven't been able to do for a few years now because the atmosphere for maths was really different.

One subject I'm not sure what to say on is Chemistry. Teachers nice, class is nice but this subject is sort of just seeming really complicated..? I don't know why but I feel like we are expected to already how to do chemistry the second they explain it. We (everyone else probably already learnt it from tutoring when they were 5 but regardless) were introduced to subshells and I just don't get it. Why? Why does it exist and how? How can I visualise this? It's all just a mystery to me but I will ask questions and try my best in the subject anyway.

Oops I almost left out English Language  ;D . (Please forgive me EngLang) Nothing much to say here because we haven't done anything tbh. But I have no idea how we are going to learn all the metalanguage stuff because it seems like a completely different way of thinking. Currently just going over the very basic stuff. One thing new I learnt was cultural context and situational context? Anyway, can't wait to see where this subject takes me.

Well that's that for the first school week of 2021.
Thank you for reading/skim reading that really long post!  ;D
Enjoy your week and take care 🌻
- bluebird
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:01:01 pm by bluebird »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 09:46:46 am »
+2
Hey,

Teaching you why subshells exist in any kind of depth is pretty hard without spending a lot of time on it but one thing that might help (or maybe not) is a bit more info: first of all, we need to let go of the convenient idea that electrons are going around in neat tidy circles around the nucleus and acknowledge that they are in orbitals. Electrons need to be unique; only two electrons can be in the same orbital, and they need to have opposite spin. Orbitals have particular shapes and locations, and orbitals with the same energy are grouped together as being part of the same subshell.

If we just describe electrons as being in shells then it doesn't make any sense that you can have electrons in the same shell with different energy levels & you wouldn't be able to uniquely describe electrons.

^ most of that stuff is beyond VCE level so if it doesn't help you ignore it :)

If it's reassuring, after yr11 chem the next time I looked at this stuff was first year chem at uni. Yeah it's complicated & people tend to try not to show their confusion but I bet you're not the only one in your class finding it a bit rough.

Ftr, I was one of those few people who answered things a lot on lit & I ended up leaving it for eng lang, in the end I'd realised I wasn't very 'literature-y' after all. I learnt eng lang over the holidays by going through the study design for all of the terms, writing out definitions, and constantly practicing.

All the best for year 11!

Doogie38

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 12:01:46 am »
+1
Heyy bluebird! :)

I relate to this post so much, it's insane. It's the same at my school, where a lot of the teachers just talk about getting the highest marks and atar. It takes the fun out of learning new things!

Also, it's definitely not just you in chemistry about subshells and orbitals. I've been trying to wrap my head around it for the past week and everyone just seems to understand it. I didn't particularly enjoy 1/2 biology as well, but my enjoyment and interest level has gone way up since then for units 3/4. I also can't wait for the immunity stuff, it just seems like a really interesting topic ;D
2021: Biology 3/4
My Journal Journey :)

swyic

• Adventurer
  • hi my name's sawyer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 10:37:10 am »
+1
Hey bluebird!

Glad to see you're at least enjoying some of your subjects :D! It sucks that your teachers only really care about VCE and not the subjects themselves- I feel like that's a general thing teachers do and it drives me mad too. Do other people in your class like the focus on getting marks?
please read this journal where i try to be funny
subjects 2021: EngLang|Spec|Chem|Phys|Bio

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 04:48:05 pm »
+8
💖 Week 2 Year 11: Feb 15th 2021 💖

swyic
Hey bluebird!

Glad to see you're at least enjoying some of your subjects :D! It sucks that your teachers only really care about VCE and not the subjects themselves- I feel like that's a general thing teachers do and it drives me mad too. Do other people in your class like the focus on getting marks?
Hey swyic. Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, I think it's just what happens at high performing schools or just when you get to VCE I guess, but the teachers really do mean well (most of the time). I think me and anyone else feeling the same way may just need to find a middle ground and communicate with the teacher because they won't know unless we say? I don't know its kind of awkward but we will find a way! :) Good luck with your VCE studies!  ;D

Doogie38
Heyy bluebird! :)

I relate to this post so much, it's insane. It's the same at my school, where a lot of the teachers just talk about getting the highest marks and atar. It takes the fun out of learning new things!

Also, it's definitely not just you in chemistry about subshells and orbitals. I've been trying to wrap my head around it for the past week and everyone just seems to understand it. I didn't particularly enjoy 1/2 biology as well, but my enjoyment and interest level has gone way up since then for units 3/4. I also can't wait for the immunity stuff, it just seems like a really interesting topic ;D
Thank youuu for your reply Doogie38. I think something a teacher told me when I talked with them was that at high performing schools, the teachers are often high achievers too. They probably place the same high expectations on their teaching that the students do and just genuinely want students to do well. I know it's not the case always but... sorta just something I never really thought of? And omg I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one in chem struggling. We will get there though in the end! Bio 3/4 is so beautiful and I think it's because it's not about the tests (maybe just me) and I'm really immersing myself in the content and learning. Have a good week!  ;D

Bri
Hey,

Teaching you why subshells exist in any kind of depth is pretty hard without spending a lot of time on it but one thing that might help (or maybe not) is a bit more info: first of all, we need to let go of the convenient idea that electrons are going around in neat tidy circles around the nucleus and acknowledge that they are in orbitals. Electrons need to be unique; only two electrons can be in the same orbital, and they need to have opposite spin. Orbitals have particular shapes and locations, and orbitals with the same energy are grouped together as being part of the same subshell.

If we just describe electrons as being in shells then it doesn't make any sense that you can have electrons in the same shell with different energy levels & you wouldn't be able to uniquely describe electrons.

^ most of that stuff is beyond VCE level so if it doesn't help you ignore it :)

If it's reassuring, after yr11 chem the next time I looked at this stuff was first year chem at uni. Yeah it's complicated & people tend to try not to show their confusion but I bet you're not the only one in your class finding it a bit rough.

Ftr, I was one of those few people who answered things a lot on lit & I ended up leaving it for eng lang, in the end I'd realised I wasn't very 'literature-y' after all. I learnt eng lang over the holidays by going through the study design for all of the terms, writing out definitions, and constantly practicing.

All the best for year 11!
Thank you Bri for replying! Wow, the subshell orbital stuff made slightly more sense with that explanation actually. I just need to work at the subject I guess. And yeah I suppose 'literature-y' is subjective and I need to find my own version of it haha  ;D. Thank you for the tip in EngLang. I'll try and incorporate it into my study routine (jk i have no such thing. i mean my studies)

Hello and hi.
Thanks for clicking my small little part of the internet and hope you are taking care of yourself!
Second week of term was interesting? It's going pretty fast and the homework does pile up quick especially with the extracurriculars (leadership and music took up a fair bit of class time). I think I've adjusted to the term year 11s and am no longer like "oh wow that refers to us!" It was also nice to get back into the rhythm and appreciating the small things. Hanging out with friends at lunch, that funny conversation, meeting someone new... etc. etc. That is until Friday, when remote learning was announced and the school was set into a frenzy as was the state. Anyways, I'll stop rambling and here's what I've been doing in class so far in order of how much I'm enjoying it:

Literature. I know complete turn around from last week but currently my favourite subject. We've been going really in depth on our text and the class conversations are so interesting. I'm contributing a bit more and I feel like everyone's small comments are adding so many diverse thoughts to the discussion. My confidence is going up and forgetting about VCE and exams and tests and essays it really has begun to broaden my thinking and "worldly" analytical skills.

English Language is sooo interesting. We've been just going through subsystems of language. Even as I'm typing up this post, I'm starting to notice more of the grammatical and englang side of things which is super cool and yeah. We haven't started anything on how assessments work in this subject and people saying that the other class is a lot ahead sorta made me nervous for a bit but we move on. I really don't have much else to say.

Methods is just chill. Maths is pretty cool. Primary school me hated maths then loved it. High school me loved maths (7-8) then hated maths (9-10). I think I'm back on loving maths... we'll see where that goes though  ;D. We're currently going over quadratics and I have a linear test coming up. I'm juggling revision for the test (I'm aiming 85+?) and trying to do the set work for quadratics because they go super fast. I have a lot to do tonight but surprisingly I don't mind doing it. Biggest thing is practice tests though as I always lose marks on silly things.

HHD 3/4 is fun I guess. I suppose the huge focus on VCE is a bit annoying but I'm not sure I'd say it's the teachers fault. Sorta just seems to me that the school system is like that (not hating on it just a fact which could be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint). Anyway I need to go over the prerequisites for health and work at my own pace. Just do the set work and try not to worry about being ahead. Going into this year I thought 3/4s would be sooo stressful but its just whatever you make it. Enjoying the journey and content is helping me forget about the VCE hype.

Bio 3/4 is alright. I just think we are spending way too much time reviewing plasma membrane stuff. I kinda just want to get into the nitty gritty of the content and application of our knowledge and exam style questions. The content is interesting and in a less competitive environment its relaxing. I just think that right now someone saying something about the teacher not being that good compared to another teacher got me scared for some weird reason even though I know they are all amazing. I had the opportunity to go into the ""better"" teachers class and I didn't and I really really hope I don't regret it. Just goes to show how careful we should be with our words haha because we might unknowingly stress someone else out.

Chem is not my favourite. All of the above subjects I like. But this one.... just no. I have no idea what's going on and haven't done the work and nothing makes sense. I have no idea what the sudden source of stress around this subject is considering I really really really enjoyed learning chemistry stuff over the holidays but now it just seems to be rushed and boring. The teacher is great just, something about the school lessons itself I'm not liking at all. (sorry to end on such a bad note)

I'm gonna try this new thing where I say something I enjoyed that week that I can look back and be grateful for so:
Fun thing of the week: Just chilling at home and watching a thrilling tennis match on a warm day.

That's it guys! Hope you have a good day week. See ya around. 🌻
- bluebird
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 04:55:39 pm by bluebird »

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 10:21:02 am »
+3
Hello bluebird! I just had to say hi again after relating a little too hard to
I just think we are spending way too much time reviewing plasma membrane stuff.
ouch.

Haha I totally understand having to adjust to your new honorifics xd. I still haven't gotten past it and keep referring to class of 2020 as the year 12s! It definitely kind of sucks that we don't get the fun side effects of in-person school during lockdown, but hopefully this'll more be just of an opportunity to sleep in and reset before getting attacked by VCE once again :D

Eng Lang is definitely a crowd favourite, especially because it has so many practical applications. It is really hard not to automatically analyse any sentence you're exposed to sometimes, isn't it? Doing Eng Lang alongside Literature is a fantastic combo btw, you probably couldn't get the same level of linguistic analysis to inform your Lit writing from Mainstream, so it's a pretty neat choice.

Also, it's definitely not just you when it comes to the dearly beloved discipline of Chemistry. Honestly, the sheer amount of content isn't something you would expect when you go into that first class. It's no easy feat to wrap your head around it totally first time around, especially when you've got higher-priority 3/4s to juggle. Quite a bit of the theory/content doesn't really carry over massively too so no need to worry about it too much : )

Hope you continue to thrive and enjoy week 4!
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 04:24:14 pm »
+3
Hey Bluebird! Once again, long time no see!
Yeah with plasma membranes we dedicated two weeks to it, and then spent the rest of the time on other topics. I think with Bio it can help to be a little ahead so class is just revision. I relate kinda with HHD- it just seems quite unstructured compared to last year making the subject less interesting as a whole. I hate memorising the definitions lol. So far, do you like HHD or Bio the most?

Have a good one!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 10:02:39 pm »
+5
💖 Week 3 Year 11: Feb 22nd 2021💖

potatoo
Hey Bluebird! Once again, long time no see!
Yeah with plasma membranes we dedicated two weeks to it, and then spent the rest of the time on other topics. I think with Bio it can help to be a little ahead so class is just revision. I relate kinda with HHD- it just seems quite unstructured compared to last year making the subject less interesting as a whole. I hate memorising the definitions lol. So far, do you like HHD or Bio the most?

Have a good one!
Awwww thanks potato for your reply. Yeah, I reckon its time to start getting ahead if I actually want to get better at bio and reach that 40+. Oh my goodness. I'm glad I'm not the only one but yeah it's so not how I imagined 3/4 HHD to be. Just finding the content super weird right now. I reckon both of them sadly are kind of sucking haha. Oh well. How about you? Enjoy your week potato!

wingdingss
Hello bluebird! I just had to say hi again after relating a little too hard to ouch.

Haha I totally understand having to adjust to your new honorifics xd. I still haven't gotten past it and keep referring to class of 2020 as the year 12s! It definitely kind of sucks that we don't get the fun side effects of in-person school during lockdown, but hopefully this'll more be just of an opportunity to sleep in and reset before getting attacked by VCE once again :D

Eng Lang is definitely a crowd favourite, especially because it has so many practical applications. It is really hard not to automatically analyse any sentence you're exposed to sometimes, isn't it? Doing Eng Lang alongside Literature is a fantastic combo btw, you probably couldn't get the same level of linguistic analysis to inform your Lit writing from Mainstream, so it's a pretty neat choice.

Also, it's definitely not just you when it comes to the dearly beloved discipline of Chemistry. Honestly, the sheer amount of content isn't something you would expect when you go into that first class. It's no easy feat to wrap your head around it totally first time around, especially when you've got higher-priority 3/4s to juggle. Quite a bit of the theory/content doesn't really carry over massively too so no need to worry about it too much : )

Hope you continue to thrive and enjoy week 4!
Hello again Wingdings!! Thank you for coming back here and bothering to reply I genuinely appreciate it. Also how could EngLang not be a crowd favourite? I'm guilty of chatting with a friend and then analysing parts of it as if I was in class. (Woah, that sounds weird in a sentence). And yeah, I think that initial adjustment period to chemistry threw me and a lot of other people off. I'm just glad I got back on before it was too late. Thanks for your reassurance! Enjoy your week!

Hello peeps, welcome back/welcome to my VCE journal.
Soooo... lockdown happened and then it went. I honestly can't remember much that happened during those 5 days, just getting a bit bored at the end. Hopefully all was good for you guys? I spent a lot of time just watching the tennis and I'm sad it's over now lol. I felt like all of last week was in person because the Thursday and Friday were so jam packed with extracurriculars, events and cramming homework. Also (random) but this is kinda my second time writing this post after I accidentally deleted my original post and I did not save anywhere else even after spending an hour on it :( . Lesson learned.
Anyways... my "subject opinion leaderboard" has completely changed though (as expected) over the week. I feel like Chemistry is much better than I thought, Bio and HHD much more boring than I thought, Lit's sorta doing its own thing, EngLang is finally starting to get into the juicy stuff and the "meh" in Methods is really starting to show.

English Language is super interesting to me right now. I was starting to get slightly bored of just learning loads of metalanguage definitions but we are finally getting a chance to apply all of our knowledge. I spent a lot of time reorganising my very very messy notes for this subject and I learned a lot in the process. Overall, pretty good week.

Chemistry was a complete turn around from my last post. I caught up with the teacher and them making me realise I had no need to stress in the first place has helped me get slightly back on top. Don't get me wrong I'm still behind but I know I can do it and I'm not just gonna cluelessly wander around not knowing what to do. I just find the periodic table concept so amazing, fascinating, genius, etc. etc. Need to really know my metallic and ionic bonding.

Bio 3/4 is supposed to be super scary because it's a 3/4 but it's one of my chillest subjects considering how I'm a tad behind and should be trying to get ahead of things. I find it so weird that the teachers check homework now for bio. That was never a thing last year but oh well. I kinda just don't know how to study for this and the hype around it stops me from wanting to study for it. But I have to. I wish I could get the same level of fascination I had over the holidays about biology. It's no longer biology but "my 3/4" and "my priority" and its supposed to be "lots of hard work" but I really don't want to I guess. That is a lot of rambly nonsense words...

HHD 3/4 is just meh. Nothing much to say I guess. I feel like I'm supposed to be studying like crazy because all the people doing HHD at my school actually try and therefore I need to as well if I want to maintain my ranking or something but... it just seems super distant and not that engaging. I should probably actually try to make more of an effort with the material.

Methods is very very slightly scaring me right now haha. The test is said to be super hard but I feel prepared and confident.  The thing is I say that everytime I go into a maths test and then I come out wondering what the heck just happened. I know the silly mistakes and worded questions will get me but it's just the first test and I have room to improve. I really need to improve my distance, speed, time questions but we will get there.

Literature is a the subject I feel really distant to right now. It is super interesting and our teacher organised a really cool way to still have the class discussion online. It was super engaging and I learnt so much that's actually applicable to the real world and it made me really try to contribute. I just realised that sometimes I try too hard to impress everyone else with my ideas rather than just share them because knowledge should be shared. Then also, it's been a while since I've had the subject and that sorta contributes to the feeling of "what have we been doing, it's been ages."

Fun thing from last week: Surprising a friend whose reaction was so wholesome.

That's it folks! Sorry this post was so all over the place.
Enjoy your week and be kind to yourselves 🌻

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 09:24:18 pm »
+6
💖 Week 4-5 Year 11: 1st March 2021💖

Hi hoomans,
Hope you had a good week and are looking after yourself. I really wanna be consistent with this journal but I might have to (at least try to) keep this one a short one (even though I have so much I wanna say)..

Homework really is catching up with me. As I type this I am slightly tired and unmotivated but I am strangely not stressed, even though I will be soon. I have tests and a SAC for every subject next week except biology. Last week went really quickly and the amount of content... it's astounding and nothing can prepare you for it at all. I just really wish I knew how to manage my time better. Teach me your ways, people who always seem to be on top of everything. Last week involved getting a taste of the working world, a fun school event, getting a new leadership role, house reno (kinda), bonding with family over a game and getting a boost of self esteem in the end. I ended up realising that I need to stop stressing and change the way I think about school. I also need to chill more with friends that don't always stress and have a fear of literally everything in life. (can't believe i said i'll keep it short smh). Anyways... subjects:

Bio 3/4: If I continue slacking off, I'll pay for it at the end of the year or during the SAC in a few weeks by having that sinking feeling of regret at not working harder (one I'm sadly too familiar with). I have not done any set homework and am behind in the content. Eeeek. I mean I can get back on top right? Right? Why do the kids that know everything make everything so scary in 3/4.

HHD 3/4: This is not that bad but only because I spent time working on it on the weekend. However, the SAC next week is scary... but also not scary. I don't know how to explain it. First SAC. Am I supposed to care or stress or idkk. I'm not complaining anymore about the teacher focusing a lot on writing tests and exams. I think it helps and now they're also explaining the content as well. I think I'm growing more fond of the teacher's teaching style.

Methods: Oh. my. goodness. First test of the year and I finally get that sense of "ew I don't like this". The test was horrendous, terrible, djbkjfbsdjbg, etc. Only good thing is that I learned that I should not cannot aim for 85+. I honestly don't know how I could've prepared for that though. The practice tests were so easy and I was getting solid marks, but the test itself was so hard for everyone. I got the score today and I did better than expected but nowhere near my goal. Sigh. I shall work harder for next week's test  I guess and try extra hard to do those really really hard problems.

EngLang: So we had a very chill task (to prep for our more formal assessment next week) where we applied our knowledge of metalanguage and it was way harder than I thought. I just was in such unfamiliar territory with writing responses for these questions. Our teacher helped but with only seeing one sample response and then being expected to write something like it... it was hard. Hopefully, I don't regret picking this because the writing component for this is shaping up to be not as interesting as the content. Really really hoping that I just get better at it with time.

Literature: My favourite right now. I have a task next week/assessment but honestly it's so chill and doesn't give the bad vibes that I thought it will at all. I look forward to each class and the teacher does such a good job of teaching but making everything we learn interesting. I am looking forward to looking back and seeing whether my enthusiasm for this subject was misplaced.

Chemistry: I forgot about this one for a good 10 minutes and was about to post lolll. This is literally so chill but I have no idea how on Earth I am going to catchup properly with everything I got behind in. I'm thinking of maybe having to study in mornings or lunches or something so I can actually do everything on time.

Favourite thing of the week: I'm so lucky to have so many moments to choose from but I have to say chilling with friends after our school event.

Thank you so much more being on this page on the internet now or in the future.
I will see you next week.
Take careeee 🌻