Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:43 am

Author Topic: English Language Unit 2  (Read 1504 times)  Share 

potsu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
English Language Unit 2
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »
Hey guys!
So I have been in mainstream English for the past semester and have recently changed over to English language unit 2, are there any tips for unit 2 English language and how is it,
Thanks

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: English Language Unit 2
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:55 am »
+2
Hey guys!
So I have been in mainstream English for the past semester and have recently changed over to English language unit 2, are there any tips for unit 2 English language and how is it,
Thanks

Hey, welcome to EngLang! :D

I really enjoyed EngLang Unit 2, and I hope you do also. But if you don't, I wouldn't worry *too* much given Unit 2 is a little bit different to 3&4. My two pieces of advice (I'm sure others can add more):

1: Don't be scared to ask questions
When I started EngLang, I'd been taught practically nothing in terms of the history of language/how language works/technical language terms etc. The best way to get up to scratch is simply to ask - ask here, ask your teachers, ask your friends. :)

2: Metalanguage
This is more in preparation for Units 3&4: when you come across a new term, make a note of it, and try to build a bank of terminology you can use to talk about language - this is called metalanguage if you're not already aware.

Good luck! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: English Language Unit 2
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:44:31 pm »
+4
Hey potsu,

I think the advice Joseph stated is pretty spot on, but if it's any reassurance I wouldn't get too stressed about the Unit 2 course at all. It's quite different to Units 3 & 4, with the only real similarities being the metalanguage base you develop in 1&2 being continued and vastly added onto in Year 12.

I'd also start reading into some media, in Year 12 you have to really familiarize yourself with newspapers, current affairs etc. to use as evidence in Essays, so getting an understanding of how you can apply that stuff early should be a massive boost.

Just try to get a feel for things and see if you enjoy it, that would be my two cents.  :)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University