Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:34 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129645 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 01:05:14 am »
Hi Elyse or Jason,

I just wanted to know if doing a related text that is not necessarily in english (but the subtitles are) is ok.
The text I am referring to is:"Unsung Hero" (Official HD) : TVC Thai Life Insurance

The youtube link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWA2GbcnJU

Thanks,
Samuel

Hey Samuel! That's definitely 100% fine; you are still able to analyse the use of techniques in non-english films (and I know this film, it's gorgeous, great choice!) ;D

PS - I deleted your additional post (no worries about spelling my name wrong, I get it all the time ;) ), you can edit your posts by clicking 'Modify' to the top right of your post though! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 11:15:04 pm »
Hey Elyse, was was wonder if this short film is suitable? >>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqiU5FgsYc
I'm planning on writing how the boy discovers his potential to find happiness even with his condition. The film shows a contrast between the boy's attitudes towards his condition and the puppy's that leads to a more meaningful impact when he discovers his self worth.
Am i over analysing a simple film to try making it fit into discovery?
Thank you :)  :D

Hey, I just watched this and it's so cute. It's beautifully animated and I really want that dog. So looking at discovery, we have a change in environment being a catalyst, we have renewed perceptions and perspectives, and it's quite symbolic the way he moves outside. I think it could work. It's not by any means a complicated text, but neither was my own related text. I think simple can really work to complement your prescribed text. I think you could definitely work with this. It's nice and short as well, which is good for your studying! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:15 pm »
Hey Elyse or Jamon , I was was wondering if this short film is suitable? >>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqiU5FgsYc
I'm planning on writing how the boy discovers his potential to find happiness even with his condition. The film shows a contrast between the boy's attitudes towards his condition and the puppy's that leads to a more meaningful impact when he discovers his self worth.
Am i over analysing a simple film to try making it fit into discovery?
Thank you :)  :D

Oh I love this film, saw it for the first time a while ago and it is wonderful ;D I think your analysis is really powerful and this film DEFINITELY works really well conceptually! ;D the final step for you will be - Can you identify techniques which communicate these ideas you want to explore? If you can do that, you've got a related text ;D

Edit: Ditto with Elyse ;D

strawberriesarekewl

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 10:50:23 am »
Hi

how should i analyse orts? I know you have to look at the discovery rubric, and link them to your prescribed text and such but I am having a somewhat frustrating time analysing ORT's (god I hate orts)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 11:30:08 am »
Hi

how should i analyse orts? I know you have to look at the discovery rubric, and link them to your prescribed text and such but I am having a somewhat frustrating time analysing ORT's (god I hate orts)

Hey! What is it specifically you are having trouble with? Selecting a good ORT? Finding techniques in the ORT? Finding links to Discovery and/or the prescribed text? Give us a feel of what stage you are at and we can try and give you some more specific help, because it sounds like you have the idea! ;D

strawberriesarekewl

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 11:40:39 am »
Hey! What is it specifically you are having trouble with? Selecting a good ORT? Finding techniques in the ORT? Finding links to Discovery and/or the prescribed text? Give us a feel of what stage you are at and we can try and give you some more specific help, because it sounds like you have the idea! ;D

I've already selected an ORT and I am quite confused in deconstructing it (my english teacher doesnt want to spoonfeed me). It's a poem and I am not really having a clear idea of how to deconstruct it (mainly in terms of it's context) and linking it to my prescibed

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 11:54:27 am »
I've already selected an ORT and I am quite confused in deconstructing it (my english teacher doesnt want to spoonfeed me). It's a poem and I am not really having a clear idea of how to deconstruct it (mainly in terms of it's context) and linking it to my prescibed

Great, so I'd suggest you do a few sweeps of the poem to detect techniques first:

1st Sweep: Jot down the main themes of the poem
2nd Sweep: Sound devices, easy to find (alliteration, assonance)
3rd Sweep: Imagery
4th Sweep: Figurative Language (metaphors, similes, personification)
5th Sweep: Tone
6th Sweep: Syntax and language features

Then more as required - This will make sure you get all the techniques and themes. Then, start thinking about WHAT the composer is saying, and further, WHY they are saying it. What does that metaphor do, what does it say, and why do you think the composer wants to say that (given their context). Does the composer have a personal history of mental health issues? Then it would make sense that they use vivid imagery to describe a mental health issue in the poem, for example. That's the sort of link you are looking for :)

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »
Hello I was just wondering if there were any recommended ORT's to that would fit well with the prescribed text The Tempest by Shakespeare?

Thanks!!
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

biancajuru

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 06:48:48 pm »
+1

Hello I was just wondering if there were any recommended ORT's to that would fit well with the prescribed text The Tempest by Shakespeare?

Thanks!!

Hey good relateds include:
- The Pearl by Steinbeck (novella)
- Big World by Winton (short story)
- The Great Beauty (foreign film)
- The National Picture by Geoff Parr (recontextualisation of Benjamin Dutterau͛s The Conciliation- artwork)
2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

ATAR: 98.15

Currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 06:57:22 pm »
+1

Thanks!!

I used the short story The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin and I think it worked quite well! I know some others used the poem Father and Child by Gwen Harwood too :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12:26 pm »
+1

Thanks!!
Some great suggestions by both Bianca and kiwiberry! I'd also recommend having a look at the Perks of Being a Wallflower and An Idiot Abroad :) Both of these texts worked perfectly for me, you can find my Tempest essay with these related here, along with notes on the respective texts here and here! Hope this helps  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:17:59 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

h_blair

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 08:52:20 pm »
We're studying 'Motorcycle Diaries' and thinking of possibly doing Mary Harron' 'American Psycho' film as a related, any thoughts or ideas on this?? Also thinking of possibly Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven', however, I can't find much info on it, does this mean it's a bad choice?

Thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 04:56:25 am »
We're studying 'Motorcycle Diaries' and thinking of possibly doing Mary Harron' 'American Psycho' film as a related, any thoughts or ideas on this?? Also thinking of possibly Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven', however, I can't find much info on it, does this mean it's a bad choice?

Thanks

Hey h_blair, choosing a text without much information about it online has its benefits but also drawbacks. Not being able to analyse the text through someone else's reading prompts you to bring forward a unique, personal analysis of the text. I only used my own analysis for my discovery and Mod C related text, because there was hardly anything on the internet to help me. But, this worked in my favour because I could actively search for links to my prescribed text during my initial readings, making the linking process a lot easier. In saying that, I know that you can get to a dead end when analysing a text and want to bounce off the idea's of others. If there's not much online, and your teacher and peers haven't read the text, it can be tricky to gauge other ideas. So, that's the drawback. The availability of online resources doesn't dictate the quality of the text in relation to your study, though! So you could be sitting right on a gold mine with your choices and you don't even know it yet :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how many related test you recommend learning for AOS?

I'm thinking of: John Keats' On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer. Peter Weir's: Dead Poet's Society and William Golding's: Lord Of The Flies.

Thanks so much,

Mary
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 06:38:07 pm »
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how many related test you recommend learning for AOS?

I'm thinking of: John Keats' On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer. Peter Weir's: Dead Poet's Society and William Golding's: Lord Of The Flies.

Thanks so much,

Mary

Hey Mary! Personally, I only prepared one Related Text. The fact is, it is highly unlikely they'd ask for any more than that. On the super slim chance they did, then you could just use one of your unseen texts from Section 1!

The likelihood of needing 2 ORT's is really slim, so it's probably not worth it to study two, and it is definitely not worth it to study 3 ;D