Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:35 pm

Author Topic: Things that shit me  (Read 333938 times)  Share 

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Things that shit me
« Reply #1080 on: January 19, 2019, 03:23:02 pm »
+5
Wearing SPF50+ sunscreen AND still getting sunburnt :(
@Vaike

Jaw springs. There are now real metal springs in my mouth. A) I have no idea how to clean them, and B) they keep pinching my cheeks. RIP my mouth
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

TheBigC

« Reply #1081 on: January 23, 2019, 06:21:19 pm »
+4
When the sunscreen you apply irritates your skin... to the point that it feels like you have been sunburnt... great.

supR

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1082 on: January 23, 2019, 07:33:26 pm »
+2
Getting dust n shit stuck in your eyes, like ffs ~.~
HSC 2018 - 98.50 ATAR
Please check out my Youtube c: I upload every Tuesday and Friday c: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1c_bBjSE6oNNYgt4CK0DA

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #1083 on: January 23, 2019, 09:48:10 pm »
+9
Books that have a choppy execution of their plot.
You can't just skip from being a "teenage criminal that works at a museum" to "missing princess of the fae" without going in-depth into the detail as to how that happened! >:(
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #1084 on: January 23, 2019, 11:13:41 pm »
+6
when people spell you're as your
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #1085 on: January 24, 2019, 12:11:24 am »
+8
when people spell you're as your
Even worse when you accidentally do it and annoy yourself... aha

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #1086 on: January 24, 2019, 08:41:23 am »
+11
People who litter or make a mess on trains and don’t even bother to clean it up. I stepped in a pool of Coca Cola the other day.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1087 on: January 24, 2019, 09:17:35 am »
People who say "I'm not good at math, I'm dropping methods", Hell, you ain't never studied for it before. They don't do anything to improve, they don't even do one question at home and they want to drop. I actually have a friend that doesn't (Or didn't) like math, he was doing methods since it was a prereq for what he wants to do but wasn't achieving good results (getting in the 40%'s).
Now please, I'm not being arrogant but, he came up to me and asked "how do you do it? How are you that good at maths?" and I told him that I just have a talent for it, that I'm one of the students who doesn't need to study for it, but sometimes for practice, I do those really hard questions or a lot of extended responses. Then something clicked in him, he wanted to beat me, he got motivated. So he worked hard in methods, very hard, he really wanted to improve...desperately. In our Term 4 Calculus SAC, he achieved 88% which I think was the 3rd highest if I am not mistaking. This shows that, if you want it bad enough, you will improve.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #1088 on: January 24, 2019, 12:34:12 pm »
+23
People who say "I'm not good at math, I'm dropping methods", Hell, you ain't never studied for it before. They don't do anything to improve, they don't even do one question at home and they want to drop.
Apologies if this shits you, but I think you might have a slightly skewed view of difficulty when it comes to math. This might be news to you but everyone has their unique gifts and talents, and sometimes a person can only improve a finite amount when it comes to something they struggle to comprehend. For you, math is simple. For me, art is simple. But that doesn't mean it's simple for everyone.

As for the comment "you ain't ever studied it before", I have always been one of those people who legitimately struggles with numbers. Last year I worked on maths almost every single day, spending extra time with my teacher, having breakdowns over questions, and just generally working as hard as I could to do the best I could. If my best was a raw 26, and another's best is a raw 14, is that somehow pathetic? All it means is that our brains work differently to yours. And that unique outlook is what makes the world go round. I improved, but not to that standard. So be proud of your friend and those who are motivated to work harder, but please don't be intolerant about those of us you assume just don't try at all. :)

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1089 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:48 pm »
Apologies if this shits you, but I think you might have a slightly skewed view of difficulty when it comes to math. This might be news to you but everyone has their unique gifts and talents, and sometimes a person can only improve a finite amount when it comes to something they struggle to comprehend. For you, math is simple. For me, art is simple. But that doesn't mean it's simple for everyone.

As for the comment "you ain't ever studied it before", I have always been one of those people who legitimately struggle with numbers. Last year I worked on maths almost every single day, spending extra time with my teacher, having breakdowns over questions, and just generally working as hard as I could to do the best I could. If my best was a raw 26, and another's best is a raw 14, is that somehow pathetic? All it means is that our brains work differently to yours. And that unique outlook is what makes the world go round. I improved, but not to that standard. So be proud of your friend and those who are motivated to work harder, but please don't be intolerant about those of us you assume just don't try at all. :)
oh no no, I'm talking about those who are not good or not improving just because they can't be bothered, sorry I should've mentioned that. I am completely aware of those who literally can't do maths, and am not saying anything about them, just the students (that I know) who have the ability to do well but don't. Sorry again for the misunderstanding!

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #1090 on: January 24, 2019, 09:33:21 pm »
+4
"It is completely okay not to be good at something, but it is never okay to then not do anything about it. The first step to improving is recognising that there is something to improve. Once you've done that, then we can formulate a plan."

Those are the exact words I say to a lot of my students in their first lesson.

If there was one subject where the majority of people use the phrases "I was never good at <subject>" or "I'm not a <subject> person", it would be mathematics. The most unfortunate thing for me is that there exists an unwarranted pride in being 'bad' at mathematics. No one goes around saying how proud they are that they don't understand Shakespeare, but so many people (but not all people) will often chuckle or laugh following a statement about how they either dislike, or are not good at maths.

I couldn't imagine a world where everyone is so proud to be ignorant, so why do we do it with maths? It's such a misconception that mathematics is only for 'smart people'. Mathematics is a language. It is the language we use to describe exactly the world around us.

Like any skill, mathematics takes time to learn, and every person will be at a different level. Some will understand mathematical concepts in a matter of seconds, and some will take weeks. And that is okay. But, to then say the phrase "I'm just not a maths person" as an excuse for not being willing to improve, is not. That is laziness and what personally frustrates me.

@Tatlidil, I share your frustration but you should have better articulated your point. It did sound like that people's ability in maths, rather than their effort, is what's shitting you.

... and sometimes a person can only improve a finite amount when it comes to something they struggle to comprehend.
Have to say that I very much disagree with this statement. I don't believe that one's intellectual ability has a defined ceiling, but rather, it's the person's responsibility to build higher. The only difference is how quickly they can build, and what they are building.
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

TheBigC

« Reply #1091 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:05 pm »
+1
"It is completely okay not to be good at something, but it is never okay to then not do anything about it. The first step to improving is recognising that there is something to improve. Once you've done that, then we can formulate a plan."

Those are the exact words I say to a lot of my students in their first lesson.

If there was one subject where the majority of people use the phrases "I was never good at <subject>" or "I'm not a <subject> person", it would be mathematics. The most unfortunate thing for me is that there exists an unwarranted pride in being 'bad' at mathematics. No one goes around saying how proud they are that they don't understand Shakespeare, but so many people (but not all people) will often chuckle or laugh following a statement about how they either dislike, or are not good at maths.

I couldn't imagine a world where everyone is so proud to be ignorant, so why do we do it with maths? It's such a misconception that mathematics is only for 'smart people'. Mathematics is a language. It is the language we use to describe exactly the world around us.

Like any skill, mathematics takes time to learn, and every person will be at a different level. Some will understand mathematical concepts in a matter of seconds, and some will take weeks. And that is okay. But, to then say the phrase "I'm just not a maths person" as an excuse for not being willing to improve, is not. That is laziness and what personally frustrates me.

@Tatlidil, I share your frustration but you should have better articulated your point. It did sound like that people's ability in maths, rather than their effort, is what's shitting you.
Have to say that I very much disagree with this statement. I don't believe that one's intellectual ability has a defined ceiling, but rather, it's the person's responsibility to build higher. The only difference is how quickly they can build, and what they are building.

Great post dantraicos! This was very well phrased. Your final intimation is merely an explanation of IQ, which mathematics strongly correlates with (at least nonverbal IQ). IQ is simply predicated upon processing speed and pattern recognition, as well as inherent logical reasoning. The concept of an arbitrary ceiling is mostly a claim of the indolent. Everyone can improve, though the speed of rectification does alter.

EDIT: Manjul Bhargava, a prominent child genius within today's mathematical field, puts it quite well, (paraphrase) "[nobody would laugh if you said you hated to read]" (just like illiteracy is frowned upon, so should it's analog in mathematics be frowned upon... there is nothing comedic or of merit about suggesting that you disliked math... it is asinine). (note: this does not mean you cannot dislike it, but you shouldn't expect applause for that)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:54:54 pm by TheBigC »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #1092 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:11 pm »
+9
Places that have the aircon set on a temperature that makes me want to put a jumper on >:( (looking at you state library)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #1093 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:01 pm »
+5
⠠⠥⠎⠊⠝⠛⠀⠠⠃⠗⠁⠊⠇⠇⠑⠀⠕⠝⠀⠁⠀⠉⠕⠍⠏⠥⠞⠑⠗
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #1094 on: January 25, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »
+3
This heat. :(
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!