Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:15:24 am

Author Topic: Advice on getting started with tutoring in first year uni  (Read 4977 times)  Share 

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Advice on getting started with tutoring in first year uni
« on: August 24, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
    Hi everyone.

I was thing of tutoring 3-4 subjects next year (2020) if I get mid-high 40 study scores in those subjects. The subjects I may tutor include methods, chem, physics, bio and maybe accounting (won't tutor all 5).

I have no experience tutoring. I am planning on running group classes with 5-7 students. I would provide lots of resources and make a good set of notes.

However I'm not sure if I will manage to get enough students (around 5 students for each class and I would do maybe 3 subjects). So to anyone with any tutoring experience, I'd appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

How many students did you tutor in your first year and how much did you charge?
    Did you get significantly more students in your second year of tutoring?
    How did you find students/ where did you advertise?
    Would you recommend 1 to 1 or private tutoring?
    Do students tend to stay for most of the year if you are a good tutor?

Thanks in advance

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
Re: Advice on getting started with tutoring in first year uni
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 07:48:51 pm »
bump!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:44:49 pm »
+4
    Hi everyone.

I was thing of tutoring 3-4 subjects next year (2020) if I get mid-high 40 study scores in those subjects. The subjects I may tutor include methods, chem, physics, bio and maybe accounting (won't tutor all 5).

I have no experience tutoring. I am planning on running group classes with 5-7 students. I would provide lots of resources and make a good set of notes.

However, I'm not sure if I will manage to get enough students (around 5 students for each class and I would do maybe 3 subjects). So to anyone with any tutoring experience, I'd appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

How many students did you tutor in your first year and how much did you charge?
    Did you get significantly more students in your second year of tutoring?
    How did you find students/ where did you advertise?
    Would you recommend 1 to 1 or private tutoring?
    Do students tend to stay for most of the year if you are a good tutor?

Thanks in advance

So I've been tutoring for the past three years which is probably a moderate level of experience with it.

It will always depend on the person and what sort of reputation they have as a tutor/teacher etc. Personally, it wasn't too hard for me to get motivated students and by the start of the year, I would be up to capacity as I only have a limited amount of time.
By the second year, you will most likely have the ability to get more students either through testimonials of your past students or stats from your first year - if you can show that previous students have improved/scored well it's more likely other people with think you are a good tutor. On top of that, you will have experience - which makes you a better tutor.
I prefer 1 on 1 tutoring because I feel that is when I can be most effective for most students although sometimes students will want classes with their friends. Group classes can also be good if it is a good environment where everyone is happy to contribute.

So far all of my students have stayed throughout the year but eventually, you will get students you drop off either due to them feeling that sort of tutoring is not effective for them, no longer feeling need for a tutor or dropping the subject.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:47:23 pm by Sine »

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:44:49 pm »
So I've been tutoring for the past three years which is probably a moderate level of experience with it.

It will always depend on the person and what sort of reputation they have as a tutor/teacher etc. Personally, it wasn't too hard for me to get motivated students and by the start of the year, I would be up to capacity as I only have a limited amount of time.
By the second year, you will most likely have the ability to get more students either through testimonials of your past students or stats from your first year - if you can show that previous students have improved/scored well it's more likely other people with think you are a good tutor. On top of that, you will have experience - which makes you a better tutor.
I prefer 1 on 1 tutoring because I feel that is when I can be most effective for most students although sometimes students will want classes with their friends. Group classes can also be good if it is a good environment where everyone is happy to contribute.

So far all of my students have stayed throughout the year but eventually, you will get students you drop off either due to them feeling that sort of tutoring is not effective for them, no longer feeling need for a tutor or dropping the subject.

Thanks a lot!!!

If I may ask, where did you advertise and get your students from in first year?