Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:29:05 pm

Author Topic: Quick questions I had problems with.. ><  (Read 3968 times)  Share 

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
Quick questions I had problems with.. ><
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 09:00:07 am »
At a POI the gradient must change from increasing to decreasing, or decreasing to increasing. For example if you think of a y = x^2, the gradient is always increasing, there are no POIs. y = x^3 decreases from the left towards zero, then increases towards the right (after zero).

If the gradient changes from increasing to decreasing, then the derivative of the gradient must change sign. This is also the second derivative, which changes sign.

If the second derivative changes sign, it must be zero at that point (cross the x-axis). Also, if it changes sign, what does that say about the anti-derivative of the 2nd derivative? It shows that it either has a maximum or minimum, and thus, the sign of the derivative does not change.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

avogarbro

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 04:39:17 pm »
Do you know if we are required to  manually work out integrals if the question does not say "use calculus"?

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 05:59:50 pm »
I'm not sure. I'd guess it just depends on how many marks the question is. If it's something like 4 marks, then you'd probably have to. If it's 2 marks, you could probably get away with setting up integral + using calculator.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.