Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:37:44 am

Author Topic: 3/4 Nucleic Acids and Proteins Chapter - Questions  (Read 2032 times)  Share 

sam777

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
3/4 Nucleic Acids and Proteins Chapter - Questions
« on: December 28, 2021, 08:19:02 pm »
Hi there,

I have a few questions about the Nucleic Acids and Proteins chapter:

1. Do you call the trinucleotide groupings in DNA triplets? And then once they are transcribed into mRNA strands they are known as codons?

2. Difference and importance of redundancy and degeneracy. Biozone seems to define them as different things but im assuming they can be used interchangeably.

3. Does the ribosome move, or the mRNA strand during translation?

4. Why does edrolo omit the untranslated regions (UTR) in their gene diagrams. Do you know if we need to know about them or if we need to consider/ include them in our responses to questions. eg if a question asks to draw a diagram of the prokaryotic operon on the template strand, would the order be: 3'end  Promoter  Operator  5'UTR trpe trpd trpc trpb trpa  3'UTR Terminator  5'end.
Am I correct with the fact that the 5'UTR is upstream (towards the 3' end of the template strand or towards the 5' end of the coding strand) and the 3'UTR is downstream. I think edrolo says that this is because they will correspond to the UTR of the mRNA strand, and so the mRNA's complementary sequence to the 3'UTR on the template strand will be called the 3'UTR and likewise with the 5'UTR.

5. Do we need to know about the different sites of a ribosome? e.g. the E, P and A site and their purposes?

THANKS ;D

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: 3/4 Nucleic Acids and Proteins Chapter - Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 10:22:42 pm »
+4
Hi there,

I have a few questions about the Nucleic Acids and Proteins chapter:

1. Do you call the trinucleotide groupings in DNA triplets? And then once they are transcribed into mRNA strands they are known as codons?

2. Difference and importance of redundancy and degeneracy. Biozone seems to define them as different things but im assuming they can be used interchangeably.

3. Does the ribosome move, or the mRNA strand during translation?

4. Why does edrolo omit the untranslated regions (UTR) in their gene diagrams. Do you know if we need to know about them or if we need to consider/ include them in our responses to questions. eg if a question asks to draw a diagram of the prokaryotic operon on the template strand, would the order be: 3'end  Promoter  Operator  5'UTR trpe trpd trpc trpb trpa  3'UTR Terminator  5'end.
Am I correct with the fact that the 5'UTR is upstream (towards the 3' end of the template strand or towards the 5' end of the coding strand) and the 3'UTR is downstream. I think edrolo says that this is because they will correspond to the UTR of the mRNA strand, and so the mRNA's complementary sequence to the 3'UTR on the template strand will be called the 3'UTR and likewise with the 5'UTR.

5. Do we need to know about the different sites of a ribosome? e.g. the E, P and A site and their purposes?

THANKS ;D

1. Correct for both
2. The most often used term in uni molecular bio is "degeneracy", but these can indeed be used interchangeably
3. The ribosome actually moves along the mRNA strand
4. You do need to know UTRs, but in VCE I think all you need to know is that they're important for gene regulation and in uni you'll learn that they're important for defining reading frames
5. Not until uni biochem/molecular bio
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

sam777

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 3/4 Nucleic Acids and Proteins Chapter - Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:22:21 am »
1. Correct for both
2. The most often used term in uni molecular bio is "degeneracy", but these can indeed be used interchangeably
3. The ribosome actually moves along the mRNA strand
4. You do need to know UTRs, but in VCE I think all you need to know is that they're important for gene regulation and in uni you'll learn that they're important for defining reading frames
5. Not until uni biochem/molecular bio

Thank you so much!