Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:15 pm

Author Topic: Dentistry and med courses  (Read 4269 times)  Share 

lin1234

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Dentistry and med courses
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:05:00 pm »
Hi Guys,
I am sorry if this is not the right place for this post to go, however, I am not sure where else to put it  ;D. Anyway, I'm looking into dentistry and med, and I just had a few queries. Firstly, should I feel dumb for not choosing vce chem and wanting to do these courses ;D :-\? I am doing methods and bio, however, only just now have I had an interest in these courses as I have come to the realisation that before I turned away med because I felt I wasn't smart enough for it, but now realising I feel like anyone who has the strength can power through with it. Besides that, what are the better options for these courses as I am a little confused about what the differences/similarities are and which one would be better:
for denistry;
Charles Stuart University bachelor of dental science - runs for 5 years
or doing an undergrad degree ie.  science then doing a doctor of dental surgery (Sydney or Melb) - 7 years
for med:
could I do any undergrad degree as long as I satisfy the pre req subjects such as anatomy etc then get into the doctor of medical science?
I am really not sure and very confused as I've seen a lot of ppl say a lot of mixed opinions, such as saying you can not do med without a science or bio-med degree or it will be too much to do the prereq subjects if you do another course such as commerce/it will be hard to understand without a science field etc. Moreover, will I be able to do any undergrad degree eg commerce then get into the doctor of dental surgery? as I am very indecisive and most likely will change my mind 10 more times before I come to my final decision ;D
also one last thing; what does it mean by standard and non standard entry in regards to med? because I looked it up and it said standard was undergrad entry but doesn't only Monash really offer undergrad med in vic? so does that mean doing it via graduate way by doing an undergrad course then doctorate is non-standard? lastly, if anyone could recommend any courses without vce chem as a prereq for dentistry that would be great (interstate or vic :) )
Thank you, sorry for the long and probably confusing message :) :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Dentistry and med courses
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 01:37:59 pm »
+3
Firstly, should I feel dumb for not choosing vce chem and wanting to do these courses ;D :-\?
Nope. There’s people who deliberately don’t do Chem in VCE and go via (slightly) longer routes to their courses, if Chem is a prereq. There’s also a lot of people, who like you, didn’t realise their passion and career goals until mid Year 12! Since you’re in Year 11 (judging by your previous posts), you still have the opportunity to switch into Chem U2 next semester and try to catch up on what you missed in U1. 

Besides that, what are the better options for these courses as I am a little confused about what the differences/similarities are and which one would be better:
for denistry;
Charles Stuart University bachelor of dental science - runs for 5 years
or doing an undergrad degree ie.  science then doing a doctor of dental surgery (Sydney or Melb) - 7 years
for med:
could I do any undergrad degree as long as I satisfy the pre req subjects such as anatomy etc then get into the doctor of medical science?
I am really not sure and very confused as I've seen a lot of ppl say a lot of mixed opinions, such as saying you can not do med without a science or bio-med degree or it will be too much to do the prereq subjects if you do another course such as commerce/it will be hard to understand without a science field etc. Moreover, will I be able to do any undergrad degree eg commerce then get into the doctor of dental surgery? as I am very indecisive and most likely will change my mind 10 more times before I come to my final decision ;D
This is really up to you, especially what’s important to you and what you’re hoping to do.

There are some unis that allow any course into their postgrad med/ dentistry courses and others that don’t. If you want the most opportunities for postgrad med/ dent courses (I think, you’d have to check), then biomed and science offer those opportunities. (And if you plan to stay in Victoria, then Monash Biomed, Science and the “practical” health courses e.g. radiography will offer you the most opportunities as Monash postgrad med only accepts these courses.)

also one last thing; what does it mean by standard and non standard entry in regards to med? because I looked it up and it said standard was undergrad entry but doesn't only Monash really offer undergrad med in vic? so does that mean doing it via graduate way by doing an undergrad course then doctorate is non-standard?
This is something a med hopeful or med student will probably know. Unfortunately I don’t remember specifically what this means...

lastly, if anyone could recommend any courses without vce chem as a prereq for dentistry that would be great (interstate or vic :) )
Bachelor of Oral Health - UoM has a Bio or Chem prereq, which means you could try via that route instead. You will eventually need to do a postgrad qualification to be a dentist though. Bachelor of Oral Health Science - La Trobe Uni (Bendigo) is another course with similar scenario. 

I’m not so sure about interstate courses though so this is something you will need to research.

Edit: I’m not very good at the med/ dent courses so definitely do your research to check out your options and be prepared to weigh out what’s important to you - getting a qualification earlier, cost of degree(s), commute time to campus and whether this is the path for you.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:17:29 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread