Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:35:11 am

Author Topic: Personal reflection for primary research??  (Read 10460 times)  Share 

melodamn

• Adventurer
  • ;)
  • Respect: +1
Personal reflection for primary research??
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:00:33 am »
Hi!! So I'm new here, I just started year 12. For my PIP I want to use a personal reflection as a method of primary research and I would like to know more about the method itself- has anyone else tried this? What are some tips when it comes to personal reflection? How effective can a personal reflection be in regards to the PIP?

For context, my PIP topic is about changing attitudes to LGBTQ+ Australians, a topic that's very personal to me.

Please help!
Mel | 18 | history hoe | 1st in cafs year 11 | cafs dropout

english advanced / visual arts / society and culture / modern history / extension history / sor1 / TVET human services

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: Personal reflection for primary research??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:56:18 pm »
+4
Hi!! So I'm new here, I just started year 12. For my PIP I want to use a personal reflection as a method of primary research and I would like to know more about the method itself- has anyone else tried this? What are some tips when it comes to personal reflection? How effective can a personal reflection be in regards to the PIP?

For context, my PIP topic is about changing attitudes to LGBTQ+ Australians, a topic that's very personal to me.

Please help!

Hey hey!!

My friend did a personal reflection for a PIP she did about Christmas.

I think a personal reflection can be extremely effective in conveying the reason you pursued your pip. But I would make sure you have other evidence whether that be interviews or statistics blah blah blah, to back up any ideas made in your personal reflection if that makes sense! :)

By coupling it with other evidence you are showing the marker there is no bias and that it is an idea that is credible.

Sounds like an awesome PIP topic, good luck with everything! <3
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:17:35 pm »
+4
Just adding onto paigek3's fantastic answer above, I also did a personal reflection for my PIP. Yes doing a personal reflection is helpful as this definitely adds a layer of ~authenticity~ in your PIP and gives you ideas on how to branch out your chapters. There's also that need to prove your personal opinion on the matter, thus motivating you to do the best job for your PIP.

Obviously this can't be the only primary research you can use as you do need actual field research beyond yourself. I probably would recommend doing maybe a interview and/or focus group, case study and participant observation/source analysis for your other primary methods. Questionnaires are a bit meh (in my opinion) just because you can't gain much out of it (people don't give out proper answers most of the time).

Since you are using your own reflection as primary research, try and balance things out with secondary research to avoid bias. PIPs need to show that you are a socially and culturally literate student not just swayed by their own opinion. There's a chance of loosing marks if you show bias.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

rose3

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 02:54:11 pm »
Hi!
yes I know this post is 5 years old now not sure if any of you are still active, but I'm planning to do personal reflection, interview and questionnaire for my primary methods are they a good choice?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:41:07 pm »
+3
Hi!
yes I know this post is 5 years old now not sure if any of you are still active, but I'm planning to do personal reflection, interview and questionnaire for my primary methods are they a good choice?

Hey, rose3!

Those three primary research methodologies will work great together! You might want to consider though how you might differentiate the kind of data you will gain from the questionnaire and interviews. I would recommend making your questions for the questionnaire more close-ended in nature which will then allow you to support the data obtained with more qualitative responses from the interviews. In a similar vein, your personal reflection is heavily subjective and qualitative so you might want to actively search for more quantitative data in your secondary research to balance out your findings and analysis  :) Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

rubyfromearth

• Fresh Poster
  • yr 12 student, class 2021!! <3
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 09:18:51 pm »
hi!!
I found this stream and noticed it hasn't been updated a little while, but I too have some questions regarding personal reflection as a methodology for the PIP and was hoping I could ask them here? :3
Essentially I'm not quite sure how to implement my personal reflection into my CM. Like, I'm not sure whether or not I am supposed to create a whole section dedicated to my reflection or if my reflection occurs throughout my whole material? (If that makes sense)
Actually, the same goes for my interview results, too: I'm not sure whether I have to implement the entire responses I received from my participants or to just quote responses that are relevant to respective parts of my CM? (I'm assuming the latter XD)

Thank you! - Ruby :)